What Are Your Secret Add Ins For Firming Up Poop!

I've had a massive schedule change with work, and JJ's feedling/pooping schedule has been completely turned around!

As I expected, the first few days were pretty awful when it came to potty walk time. I considered bringing out the paper plates again and playing catch, but JJ is a poop walker and I'm not great at catching...

It's been about a week now, and poops are still pretty soft. They are pickupable if you do it very gingerly, otherwise they fall apart and then there's no hope of getting it in the bag. I'm crossing my fingers that with some more time he'll go back to his normal, but for now what can I give him that will make potty time less unpleasant?

What we've tried:

-Canned pumpkin - doesn't change his poop apart from making it bright orange

-Yogurt - no effect

-Oatmeal - trying it right now, 1/4 cup of cooked oats twice a day, not sure if it's doing anything

Background into: JJ's poops have never been consistently solid. They were typically solid in the morning, and fairly soft by the end of the day. We haven't checked for worms or parasites recently, but there's been no big change in consistency so I haven't been concerned. He's been eating a mix of kirkland lamb and rice mixed with prepared raw feed since we've got him. I haven't tried completely raw feeding him yet to see if that would be better, but I might try a different kibble in the future to see if it would improve things. I don't really have the freezer space to store all that raw food so I'm hoping not to go the all-raw route.

Guest kkaiser104

Have you tried shredded beet pulp? Be careful, it'll turn the poop red (so don't think it's blood!) but my parents swear by it for their 4 greys. I've also heard of people using yams.

Guest RMarie

Tortilla chips - YUM!

JJ is going to love you for suggesting that.

Do you get the wheat flour kind or the corn kind?

Corn....organic ones from Costco

Guest chardae

I'm interested in this topic as well----the tortilla chips solution sounds interesting!

Also, what about Iams green bag as an "add in".....it seems to be a definite poop firmer for a lot of dogs.

well, raw feeding was the answer for us :) but if you don't want to go completely raw, have you tried changing his main protein? (maybe you've already done this) Lamb was too rich for mine.

I've been thinking of trying the kirkland chicken once our current bag of lamb runs out. But that won't be for a while!

Guest Doggone

Because of this forum, I switched Autumn over to IAMS green bag from the more expensive (and "pudding-creating") brands that her foster was using. It's made a big difference. Lately, I've been mixing in a third of a can of the Kirkland canned food at each meal (mostly for moisture and its "come hither" smell.........she's not very food-oriented), and her poops are still fine!

I didnt want to go raw, so I tried the IAMS and it worked. So thanks to all who've suggested it :).

Canned Pumpkin for when Maddie is not feeling well and her poops are not firm and it firms it up.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Raw chicken feet. Even on raw, Doodles poo is soft, she gets 4 chicken feet a day, 2 with breakfast, 2 with dinner, firmed her right up. I wonder if it might also work for a kibble fed dog.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest sirsmom

1/2 metamucil wafer(no more or the opposite will occur) crumbled over dry food (no wet foods or table food til the looseness stops)

Guest JessieRahl

My vet recommended, and my mom has also always sworn by this, to feed a bland diet of rice and cooked ground beef. It works wonders on soft poop. Last time Claire had this problem, I fed her this for a couple days, the second day mixed it in with her food as well, and the problem cleared right up. I used brown rice, and 90-10 ground beef as far as fat content.

Guest OPointyDog

My vet recommended, and my mom has also always sworn by this, to feed a bland diet of rice and cooked ground beef.

I second this - cleared our dogs up on multiple occasions. Be sure to boil the beef and skim off the fat, since the fat can contribute to diarrhea.

Our chronic diarrhea guy is on a prescription food that's very high in fiber - Purina DCO. It was a miracle worker for him after everything else gave him terrible yellow runny poo. I wonder if getting a small bag from your vet and throwing in a handful would help?

Guest RMarie

Just thought I'd mention... Tortilla chips seemed to help! I can't believe it! 12 hours after giving 3 chips, JJ had an easy to pick up poop! It was not hard by any means, but it didn't leave any mess behind in the grass. We will see if it was just a coincidence or if it keeps up.

:nod Yay! Glad it worked for you, too!

Bone. Raw, or else chicken carcases pressure cooked for a long, long time and then mushed/blended to a pulp. It is the world's best poop-firmer.

:nod Yay! Glad it worked for you, too!

I'll have to try that one!! But getting my dogs to eat them might be difficult.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Reporting tortilla chips have made a big difference here--still not great, but given the predisone a big help.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.