Upper Palate Fistula Surgery

My little iggy Tessa came to me with only her 2 bottom canine teeth. The rest had been removed by the rescue group's vet in Virginia. Tessa had been neglected in many ways but bounced back from it all.

When she joined us she still had 2 tiny fistualas in the upper palate. These were rechecked 6 months later by the vet who did the surgery. They were fine though still very slightly open.

This past week she has been pawing at her face. The fistula on that side is larger. The Virginia vet has reviewed recent pictures and said it's hard to determine if she needs further surgery. If so this would most likely involve a from the inside out cut of the palate. Ouch.

Anyone here have any experience with palate surgery and fistulas in particular?

004_zps3e7f3467.jpg

Tessa, hopefully with a long shelf life:

028.jpg

Tessa has an appointment scheduled next week my vet. Unfortunately, the vet in this practice who observed the fistula when we first adopted has since died. Hopefully there's enough info in the clinic notes. If not, well, I'll :blah

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

No experience, just best wishes for your little one.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

no advice, just best wishes for pretty Tessa

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I would see about a consult with a dental surgeon if possible. I am biased because there is such an excellent one in the specialty clinic near me and all my experiences with her, on any problem to do with the mouth, have been extremely positive, including the recoveries have gone so smoothly.

Unfortunately the closest dental surgeon is 3 hours away. She just couldn't handle that long a drive.

I did get a response from her rescue vet. As long as there is no discharge or obvious discomfort, surgery may not be needed. She hasn't fussed with it as much but we will still keep the consultation appointment next week.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Most of these fistulas can be closed with a mucosal flap. For small defects like those from dental extractions, it's a fairly simple surgery, but you do want to find someone experienced doing it. Larger defects, such as those from trauma or cleft palates require more reconstructive surgery and are best done by a board certified surgeon or dentist.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Jeffie had a deep ulcer with a fistula almost through to his nasal cavity after a canine extraction. We healed it with a long course of heavy duty antibiotics plus daily cleaning, and topical manuka honey. Took about 6 weeks. Is it worth a try, before going for surgery?

I think they used Cephalexin.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest greytkidsmom

No experience with fistulas but we have been through our share of oral surgery with Kebo. He had the two resections of the maxilla for cancer (at vet hospitals) and had to have a mucosal flap repair for a "dry socket" after his lower canines were removed (done by our local vet). The surgeries themselves didn't really to affect him much. He had pain medicine and antibiotics to take and we had to put all of the toys away and only give him soft food and soft treats until the areas healed.

It sounds like Tessa doesn't like the car much but we were so happy with the treatment we got at NC State. We were able to have our consult and surgery done during the same visit. They don't have a dentistry program anymore but I bet they would still be able to take care of your girl.

Hopefully watchful waiting will prove that you don't have to do anything for now. Sounds like she has been through enough.