How Do You Walk 3 Small-To-Medium Size Dogs?

Guest Uturner

Guest Uturner

I am trying to find out what OTHER methods are being used to walk three trained or untrained dogs with one person.
My wife or I use our own UTurn handle to walk our 3 or 4 terriers and it works well for small untrained dogs.

However a team of larger untrained dogs may have too much pullling power for one handler to stay in control.
Training the dogs first is always best but often there is at least one dog that is not trained or only partially trained which causes entanglement problems.

What method works for you and do you use separate leashes only, couplers, triplers, and/or other tools/collars/leashes/harnesses?

Those no pull harnesses work well for some. I'm a fuddy duddy and stick with training. Leash manners are one of my pet peeves. If I couldn't control them all at once I would take one out each time and just work on manners. Not sure I would irritate the well behaved dogs with a non behaved dog on a coupler... Not really fair in my eyes! LOL

A toddler could walk my dogs (probably both at the same time) Not that I would ever trust a toddler.... But you get the point! LOL

I've had luck with freezing and refusing to move until the dog looks back at me. Their instant reward is going forward again. Once they have that logic down they have to take a step back towards me in order to get me to continue the walk. Eventually they have to walk back and heel at my side to get going again.

------

Jessica

w/ terriers the halti head harness seems to work. but make sure their heads/snouts are long enough and fit them well. it's a good idea to have a backup martingale attached to the leash clip- just in case. when the martingale is up at the top of the neck it should reach the loop on the head halter. i'm not a fan of them, but they do work. also, different colored leashes for each dog. leather will be best- easy to grip, next to that biothane- also very good handeling ability. your equiptment and training will make a difference.

leather- check out maxx200 agility equiptment

biothane- k9noz.com

i use biothane during the cool weather, leather in the hot weather.

Edited by cleptogrey

Hire a dog walker.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Had 3 Greys or a mix of Greys and others for many years. I tried a lot of options, and found that 6' individual leashes work the best. Couplers, harnesses, etc.

I looked at your uturn handle and I don't think I'd want my greys coupled together like that with 12' between them to gain speed should something spook them. I've had 5 and walked many more. I've never seen a Grey that has been hard to walk or run with.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

Guest KsFrets

I tie the leashes together and go. The first few days may be quite adventurous, but things work themselves out pretty quickly, and after a few weeks, it's a non issue. Click on my avatar for a photo of our daily walk.

If someone isn't trained they should be walkers alone. You can't train a dog to walk properly when you're dealing with other dogs, no matter how well trained the others are. It's recommended that a new dog is walked individually for about the first year they are home if leash manners are a problem. And yes, it's a pain. I'm still walking my puppy separately 8 months after arrival. But it's worth it to have well trained dogs that you can finally walk together without hassle. And honestly, I think they enjoy their one-on-one time with me!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I tried a coupler for the poodles. Once. Minnie pulled Perry all over the place.

I use individual web leashes. I found 6' too long and 4' too short, so I buy 6' web and have them shortened to 5'. I bring home older dogs with at least some training, so I can handle fixes even while walking others. If I had a complete idiot, I'd walk her alone until she had decent manners. I do walk Minnie in a Gentle Leader: she has good leash respect on her own, but tends to pull when in a group.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)