Stroke Symptoms, Hungry Then Throwing Up?

Guest DiforDan

Guest DiforDan

Two nights ago Slinky, a nine year old mile, had what seemed to be a stroke. He was listing over to one side so much when he moved or even stood that I had to hold him up. He was dizzy like someone who had been spinning around. A dog with little sight left anyway, he seemed completely blind. His front right leg was kicking out and stamping whereas his back legs seemed to have no control. He stood with his back legs far apart (possibly for balance?) and his head was over to one side.

On the advice of the vet we gave him 3 Tramadol to keep him calm overnight and I stayed on the sofa next to him. He was much the same but about 18 hours after the attack he was improving a lot. We took him to the vet and she prescribed Vivitonin to dilate his blood vessels and hopefully prevent another stroke. The good news is that he seems much better now (he has had two doses of the Vivitonin) and really very bright. He is walking and trotting about normally.

The bad news is that on the same evening as the stroke, he developed a crazy fierce appetite, which is much more than usual for him. He ate his dinner so quickly yesterday, then went for the other dogs' bowls, then drunk a load of water and threw it all up in my husband's lap! Funny at the time (except I had to clean some of it up - Slinky ate most of it back to help me out) but he has brought up his food now five times in 30 hours (after biscuit snacks as well as dinner), then he eats it again, so it is worrying. He has had quite a thirst for some time and that seems even more now too. Apparently it is more common for appetite to diminish after a stroke/vestibular attack than the other way.

This increased appetite seemed to start BEFORE the Tramadol and the Vivitonin, so I don't think it's related to the meds.

Spoke to the vet again and she said after the weekend we might test him for Cushings. He had some blood tests in January and everything was fine, including liver enzymes which can implicate Cushings. He has not lost any hair and although he might be a little stocky now he is not pot-bellied.

Anyone any ideas or experience like this?

9 year old male not mile! :hehe

If he's not keeping food down, I'd want an x-ray ASAP.

Sending best thoughts!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest DiforDan

Thanks Batmom, although I think technically he is keeping some food down, because he eats it again afterwards and then settles down.

That is odd. I would still want to see if there was something going on that he couldn't keep it down the first time. It would be good to get current bloodwork, too.

The post-incident hunger makes it sound more like a seizure, but that passes off after a bit, and your description does sound very stroke-like.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest DiforDan

I'm really not sure what the difference is between seizure, stroke and vestibular disease in dogs. I am interested in your saying the post-incident hunger is more characteristic of seizure. Can you elaborate on that? Thanks!

One of the more experienced seizure people could tell you more/better. It's a common thing to see for a couple hours starting shortly after a seizure ends -- intense hunger. Doesn't last for days, tho.

My vestibular iggy has episodes once a month lasting a few hours. No difference in appetite before or after.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest DiforDan

2 days on and Slinky almost back to normal :) Still has that keen appetite for eating and drinking though but is moving about and (hopefully I don't speak too soon) keeping his food down too. Fingers crossed. It's amazing how quickly they can seem to recover from such distressing events :)

I too hope he's continuing to do well!

Guest DiforDan

Thanks everyone, we are very pleased with Slinky's progress, (touching wood). His poos were a bit off, but today he did a much better one.

Then he threw up again but I think again he just ate too much rice in one go (I had him on white fish and rice because of the poos). Mother must learn not to let him eat too much at once!

He's still pretty keen for his food but not quite so avid as he was, so normalising now I hope.

All stroke symptoms, wobbliness and dizziness, gone! :)

Wonderful. You must be so relieved!

You can substitute potatoes for the rice. Potatoes might be easier to digest than rice sometimes is. (Pasta works too, if wheat doesn't bother your dog.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest DiforDan

With the heaviest of hearts I have to tell you that Slinky was helped to the Bridge this morning by the vet.

Although the obvious stroke symptoms had gone, he was still a shell of a dog. Slinky was old before his time:

He had no quality of life left, was unreactive, didn't bark or roach anymore, his legs were going, he had MMM (masticatory muscle myositis) that was getting progressively worse, and he was blind and pretty deaf. He had bad diarrhoea and was vomiting too.

In the end between us we had to decide it was time to let him go.

Slinky had suffered in his early life and we always said we would never let him suffer again.

He died in my arms.

Heartbroken but know it was the right thing

:(

Oh no. I'm so sorry he wasn't better and that it was time to let him go.

Godspeed, special boy.

I am so very very sorry. Hugs to you.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow