Emerg Tx For Bee Sting In Mouth?

Our Bonnie loves to catch flying insects and I try to discourage it, but she has also tried it with bumble bees, so thinking proactively, I called the vet's office to ask if I could give her Benadryl should she be stung in the mouth/throat. I was told not to do anything, and just call them, first.

Well, there's no question I'd be taking her to the vet, but sometimes these things happen when the vet isn't open, like holidays and Sundays. I would think that minimizing the swelling asap is key in treating stings, and the drive over to both my regular & the emergency vet is 15-20 minutes~~plenty of time for it to become life threatening. Does anyone also have a bug zapping hound? Does your doggie first aid kit have something for stings?

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

Guest RMarie

Yes! James almost got a wasp the other day. Our dog-walker told us to keep Benadryl on hand. I'd probably just give him Benadryl and then do a wait and see...unless someone with actual experience says otherwise.

Guest DragonflyDM

Yes! James almost got a wasp the other day. Our dog-walker told us to keep Benadryl on hand. I'd probably just give him Benadryl and then do a wait and see...unless someone with actual experience says otherwise.

I ground my benadryl pills up into powder so that it would dissolve on his tongue. In my fantasy world it works faster that way. Boomer loves to chase bees and i worry.

My fiirst greyhound Ivy(Dream Irish) LOVED to EAT wasp/bees. Impossible to stop her. She would hunt them down. I know very well that she had to have been stung more than once but she never let it on and continued to enjoy her bug snacks.

If one of mine got stung, I'd give Benadryl, then stuff the dog in the car and head for the ER--just in case.

If the Benadryl didn't stop the swelling fast enough, I'd be in the right place. If I got to the ER and there was no dangerous swelling, I'd probably hang out in their waiting room for 30 minutes or so to be on the safe side, then go back home.

What I do not want to do is make a mad dash to the ER with a dog that's gasping for breath or dangerously ill. I'd much rather make the drive, then turn around and go home when it was clear the ER wasn't needed.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I'm with KF. I give the Benadryl. Really no reason not to.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We discovered Tessie is a bee hunter when we adopted her. I asked the vet to give me the dosage she would need in case of emergency. I keep that dosage taped inside the kitchen cupboard where the Benadryl is kept. I also have the information programmed into my phone, and sent myself an e-mail with the dosage also.

No doggie incidents, but about a month after angel Frank, (a PITA Abyssinian) came home in 2001, he caught and ate a wasp. Must have stung his inner cheek because that boy walked around looking like he had a ping pong ball stuffed in his cheek for a couple of days! He never showed any signs of distress - ate and drank fine and continued to hunt and catch anything that moved in our pool enclosure and screened porches. Omg, that boy was a mess! Loved him to pieces!

Knowing what I know now, I would give the Benadryl and be prepared to make a mad dash to the E-vet if any symptoms other than localized swelling appeared.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

We discovered Tessie is a bee hunter when we adopted her. I asked the vet to give me the dosage she would need in case of emergency. I keep that dosage taped inside the kitchen cupboard where the Benadryl is kept. I also have the information programmed into my phone, and sent myself an e-mail with the dosage also.

Please PM me, if you are comfortable in saying what that dosage is, but would rather not say so publicly.

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

Please PM me, if you are comfortable in saying what that dosage is, but would rather not say so publicly.

The dosage I was given for her is 75mg every 8-12 hours. She was still growing at the time and was 74lbs then, so it works out to be about 1mg per lb. She is 80 lbs now, but I would think the 75mg would be sufficient. Here is a link to a website which supports the same dosage.

http://benadrylfordogs.net/what-is-benadryl-and-why-should-i-give-it-to-my-dog/

1mg/pound every 8 hours is the recommended dosage for dogs and benadryl. Get the plain benadryl: nothing with fever reducers or anything like that. So a small, 50-pound greyhound can take two 25mg pills every 8 hours if necessary.

My girl was once stung on the leg by a yellow jacket while we were at a park. By the time I got home 20 minutes later, her leg was very swollen. If that sting had been in her mouth or throat, I think she'd have been in trouble with that much swelling. I gave her two benadryl when I got home, and in less than 30 minutes the swelling was greatly reduced.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

If one of mine got stung, I'd give Benadryl, then stuff the dog in the car and head for the ER--just in case.

If the Benadryl didn't stop the swelling fast enough, I'd be in the right place. If I got to the ER and there was no dangerous swelling, I'd probably hang out in their waiting room for 30 minutes or so to be on the safe side, then go back home.

What I do not want to do is make a mad dash to the ER with a dog that's gasping for breath or dangerously ill. I'd much rather make the drive, then turn around and go home when it was clear the ER wasn't needed.

^ This ^ KF has the right idea I think.

^ This ^ KF has the right idea I think.

:nod

Nigel snaps at wasps all the time.

Our E Vet is 30 minutes from here, so I'd also just give the Benadryl and head straight in.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Absolutely - give the Benadryl. If you buy the liquid make sure it does not have Xylitol in it, Xylitol is being used in quite a few medications in place of other sweeteners. It is also important to be around to give a second dose at 8-12 hours after the first dose if required. If there was a reaction that was pre-empted by the Benadryl, it can surface again as the Benadryl wears off.

If you know your dog is allergic to stings you need to carry an injectable.

Pam