Lawn Chemicals Linked To Cancer In Dogs

Guest OPointyDog

Our previous dog, a greyhound x GSD mix, died of bladder cancer, and I often wondered if chemicals played a role in that. We got her when she was already 4 years old, so never knew what she was exposed to, but I've read an article in the past that linked bladder cancer to the overuse or misuse of flea dips.

Guest OPointyDog

I never use weed killer or fertilizer. Ever. As a plant ecologist, I consider my lawn a grand experiment of "survival of the fittest" and I just let it go.... we do mow, though. :) If you mulch your grass, you shouldn't need fertilizer in most places, since the nutrients get recycled into the lawn when the grass decomposes. And most of those chemicals end up in the water supply, which isn't a good outcome either.

After years of organic gardening and benign neglect of the lawn, the complex we live in sprays chemicals constantly--hopefully we'll be into a house soon and I can go back to my ratty looking but safe lawn.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest grey_dreams

Not a surprising result, but finally they have done the controlled studies to prove it. Hope this reaches a lot of people who spray their lawns.

I never use weed killer or fertilizer. Ever. As a plant ecologist, I consider my lawn a grand experiment of "survival of the fittest" and I just let it go.... we do mow, though. :) If you mulch your grass, you shouldn't need fertilizer in most places, since the nutrients get recycled into the lawn when the grass decomposes. And most of those chemicals end up in the water supply, which isn't a good outcome either.

And you can always compost for the garden, great fertilizer and you're reducing your garbage.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

we've never treated our back and it's in BAD shape. I told Bruce this year we're going to treat. But now, maybe not.

did anyone notice the "12 Best Couch Potato Dog Breeds" article link below the story? I couldn't believe greyhounds were not on there! They are the ORIGINAL couch potato.... <_<

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest OPointyDog

did anyone notice the "12 Best Couch Potato Dog Breeds" article link below the story? I couldn't believe greyhounds were not on there! They are the ORIGINAL couch potato.... <_<

YES! I checked it out and it was all little dogs. Definitely a huge oversight!!! :sofa