Sore Foot, Meds Don't Seem To Be Working

My sweet Polly has stuff going on periodically, parts of her body that get sore and then clear up. She's been treated in the past with cephalexin (sp?) and it's cleared it up. So her foot has been sore and raw between the pads and she licks it, and makes it worse. The vet put her on the same antibiotic, but this time, it really upset her stomach. She threw up, and then didn't eat the next day. I took that back, and the vet gave her Trimeth-sulfa. I don't think we've had that before, and I don't think it's helping. If we bandage the foot to keep her from licking, it doesn't stay on very long. Yesterday, I put Calvin's Therapaw on for a while to keep her from licking, and when we took it off, the foot was still sore. I think I shouldn't have done this. Maybe it made it moist, and it's not healing. I don't know what to put on it that would help, or if we should see about another med.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Not sure about what to put on it. In one of the other threads, someone mentioned a powder-like substance that would help the wound stay drier.

If you're not already, make sure you give her a pepcid 15 minutes before you give the AB to help her stomach.

{{{{{hugs!}}}}}

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

when i'd had non-bandage-worthy cuts, or cuts on their feet that needed to be exposed (but not licked raw) i just put one of their winter boots over the leg. the boots are lightweight, breathable, and close fitting enough that they dont get in the way, but not so tight that they defeat the purpose of taking off the bandage. i've have the boot on each dog for ten day stretches (they both got lacerations at different times that required stitches)

gh-bo2008.jpg

Edited by jaym1

Nancy I would soak that affected foot in diluted chlorhexadine solution (diluted with warm water) a couple of times a day. The soaks will serve two purposes--if she has a foreign body in her foot it will help to draw it out and it will also help as a topical disinfectant. Using a topical ointment like Animax will help too (it's a topical antibiotic ointment with a bit of corticosteroid).

Use a cotton baby sock or a medipaw boot to keep her from licking as it heals. As far as the trimeth-sulfa be careful--that antibiotic made my boys liver very very cranky. Treating topically may be all you need to do allowing you to d/c orals.

Guest Fasave

I agree with the medipaw bootie to keep Polly from licking. I had a boy who always seemed to have things going on with his feet and was very sneaky about removing bandages. I did, however, have to duct tape the Velcro strap to fully prevent him from removing the boot.

Sounds like possibly she has allergies?

Have you ever tried Benadryl? If she does, that will stop the itch, which will stop the licking, which will allow the paw to heal. It would be somewhat odd that it's only one paw, but it's worth a try.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

has your vet checked for fungus? one wet fall both dogs had it, emily's webbing was red and raw- we used generic desitin(the white zinc based baby balm) to coat the area and keep it dry. the same as you would do for a baby's irritated tush. but my vet did scrape the fungus off- it looked like scabs. it's messy, but healed up in a short week. i crated her during that period. felix had fungus at the base of his nails- ointment for jock itch did the trick.

since then he has changed his m.o. to the spray for jock itch- generic of course, works wonders. spread the toes, spray the webbing and don't react if your dog cringes. but it kills off the fungus in no time what so ever. fungus will halt the healing of an area, i have done this at the end of a paw injury when the paw has been bandaged and moist and that final healing just isn't happening. (annie split her webbing and used it at the very very end- it worked wonders) i'm shocked at how fast it works. gold bond or medicated ammends powder works well in keeping an area dry if you are still bandaging the paw. it's all a matter of staying dry.

Thanks for the suggestions! They all make sense, and I'm going to try something that will be dryer on the foot---and maybe discontinue the meds, since it doesn't seem to be helping, and I'm thinking I don't want to take any chances that it might not be good for her. Allergies or fungus could be possibilities too. We're leaving for GIG on Thursday, but if it doesn't clear up, I'm going to take her back to the vet.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest BlueCrab

I'd stay clear of using the Therapaw if the foot is red and irritated. They tend to fit fairly snug so I think might further irritate what's there. I'd go with the votes for a baby sock or looser fitting bootie of some sort.

if you can air it out and let it dry- just like a baby's butt when they have diaper rash that most likely along w/ drying agents will be your best bet. muzzle her if necessary so she doesn't lick. it's short term, just remember that. if you don't have a stool guard either a dust mask taped to the outside or duct tape works wonders.