Bald Thigh Syndrome

Guest Zizi

Hi everyone, does anyone's hound have this baldness? Is there anything that can be done about it? Do you know could have caused it? I have read thyroid problems can cause but than I read dogs have it and have perfect thyroid levels.

Hi everyone, does anyone's hound have this baldness? Is there anything that can be done about it? Do you know could have caused it? I have read thyroid problems can cause but than I read dogs have it and have perfect thyroid levels.

Normal for many of them. Either it grows back in or it doesn't and you learn to love playing pattycake on those cheeks.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Nekos_Mommy

Mine's hair grew almost 100% grown in... only a tiny but of a bald spot left! I know many who's hounds never grew in, not much you can do about it! it seems to be luck of the draw

Bald thighs used to be the main signal for vets to begin thyroid supplementation in greys. This has since been mostly discontinued. Some have and some don't. Some regrow the hair and some don't. Some people have used melatonin and seen hair regrowth. Others - nada.

Just the luck of the genetic draw which kind of grey you get. Of the eight greyhounds we've had, one was naked from his collar all the way underneath along his chest and belly and around the back of his thighs, and he never regrew a single strand of hair. One had a bald chest and bald thighs his thighs filled in but his chest didn't. All the others have been fuzzballs with no baldness issues.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Bald thighs is very common in greyhounds, and the majority seem to have it to some degree. Studies have shown that it is not caused by thyroid problems (link to abstract of a study). From what I've seen, I suspect it is due to a combination of factors - genetics, diet, activity level, stress hormones, seasonal shedding, etc. It's a cosmetic issue, and you really don't need to do anything about it. One of my greyhounds has never had bald thighs, and he has thicker hair than most hounds. My other one does, and while the bald area never fills in completely, she sometimes has more hair there than at other times.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Yup, bald happens. Melatonin will help the hair grow in many dogs.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest zombrie

All 3 of mine go through waves with their natural shedding patterns. In the summer they are bald and in the winter the hair grows pretty much completely back. Right now they are shedding and their hairy winter bum is starting to go bald again :)

Henry's butt has been as bald as a cueball for years. I had his thyroid checked (on an unrelated issue) and it was fine. Just recently, I decided to try melatonin. We've been using 3g melatonin pills for about two weeks, and I'm starting to see some 'seedlings' coming through.

Edited by a_daerr

Well it sounds like bald is beautiful! Did not know if it was something I should have checked out if we happen to get one that is bald. Still doing a lot of reading as I am sure you can tell. We don't have a greyt yet still in the works!