We've Got A Speed-Gobbler On Our Hands!

Guest tasha

I use the brake fast bowl.

But I've also heard of people using a cookie sheet and spreading the food out so it takes longer and also others have just put a large rock or a soup can in the middle of the bowl so it slows them down.

Good luck :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest lucylei

Not sure if this is the best way to go about it but when I noticed my greyhound eating so fast that she was coughing it up and eating it again, I started standing next to her bowl with portions. When she ate too fast I would wait longer to give her the next portion. If she ate well she would get the next portion faster.

Guest tasha

Hey everyone, thanks for the suggestions!

My main reason for wanting him to chew his food rather than gulp it was for the plaque removal benefits. We have him on t/d, and I was hoping that in combo with the daily tooth brushing, I might have a chance of keeping some teeth in his head, lol! He doesn't choke or gag on the food, which is a good thing!

We tried the large rock in the middle of the bowl thing this morning, and he very carefully went to each piece of kibble, gingerly picked it up, and proceeded it swallow it! Darn dog!

Looks like annual dentals may just be on the table for Sir Jack after all, lol

Unfortunately, a lot of them do swallow the kibble whole without chewing. We feed the 'large breed' formula because the chunks are bigger and sort of forces them to chew. You can also go a long way with a water additive if you're concerned about dental health... Greyhounds' teeth issues are more about controlling oral bacteria and less about the actual plaque.

Are you feeding the regular size (not Small Bites) t/d, and he swallows them whole? Those are huge kibbles, probably more than 1 inch wide. LOL I give t/d as treats, and my boy Wiki sometimes swallows them whole too, which totally defeats the purpose. Sometimes he coughs them back up, then chews the 2nd time. He's gotten better about this over time.

Since Jack is swallowing them whole even when eating slowly, maybe his teeth are hurting him? While t/d helps with dental health, it's not nearly as effective as tooth brushing. Other products like oral sprays and rinses can help too.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Some folks have also tried using muffin tins instead of a bowl. We used a stainless steel ball in Brooke's bowl. Eventually she slowed down on her own. We also soak her kibble with hot water for a few minutes to avoid bringing her kibble back up.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I tried a flat cake pan and that worked great but did not hold up well. I finally found and bought a large stainless steel puppy pan! Works terrific and no more messes on the floor!

Remember, dogs don't normally chew their food anyway. And some of those foods which come in larger chunks are just right for serious greyhound choking. Especially since they aren't really a large breed dog, head wise. I'd just wet it and let him enjoy. I've heard of some people dropping a Kong into the bowl, because then you can run it through the dishwasher. Raw turkey necks are great for teeth cleaning. Water additives and dental sprays/gels are also helpful as is, of course, brushing. And there's a lady in your neck of the woods who can help with the dental maintenance plus give him a spa treatment at the same time.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Two hockey pucks placed on top of the kibble worked for my guys beofre we switched to raw.

Stainless steel balls made for 'gobblers' are available at most pet stores, but the hockey pucks worked for us.

They're heavy and the dogs never took them out.

I see that someone else uses a racketball and a floor hockey ball would work too....as long as your dog dose not just take the ball out...

Tennis balls are a good size but they'd get awful messy....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest tasha

There's an excellent product out there called Healthy Mouth (doesn't have any of the xylitol in it that some of the others like Breathalyser, etc have in them) that I think I'll be adding to his water; I've seen it do some fairly remarkable things for patient's mouths, I was just hoping to be able to do a combo t/d, Healthy Mouth and brushing routine to really cut down on the bacterial load in his mouth!

I think we'll give it a few more days and if he keeps gulping, we'll discontinue the t/d altogether - the individual kibbles are way to big for him to be swallowing whole! I've told a few clients over the years to stop feeding something as large as t/d if the dog is just going to swallow it anyways, haha

Hey everyone, thanks for the suggestions!

My main reason for wanting him to chew his food rather than gulp it was for the plaque removal benefits. We have him on t/d, and I was hoping that in combo with the daily tooth brushing, I might have a chance of keeping some teeth in his head, lol! He doesn't choke or gag on the food, which is a good thing!

We tried the large rock in the middle of the bowl thing this morning, and he very carefully went to each piece of kibble, gingerly picked it up, and proceeded it swallow it! Darn dog!

Looks like annual dentals may just be on the table for Sir Jack after all, lol

I've never had a grey at my house that chewed kibble. Of any size. I'm sure some do - but lots won't, regarless of eating speed.

I wouldn't count on chewing food for plaque removal. Even if a dog does chew kibble, it's not really going to do the trick. Brushing works, and chewing raw bones is Fabulous for teeth. I feed kibble, but I give raw bones for chewing - all kinds - and I haven't had to do yearly dentals. Raw bones are the way to go for teeth, IMHO.

The only things I've EVER seen Aston chew are broccoli, and of course, turkey necks. Everything else is down the hatch as quickly as possible. We wet his kibble to prevent choking, or drop his solid red Kong bone in the bowl. or both.

In regard to kibble's plaque removal ability, a Houndstooth dental tech once told me, Kibble is about as good at removing plaque in dogs as biscotti is for humans. :lol
The turkey necks take care of Aston's plaque removal instead.

You mentioned the Healthy Mouth product. I tried it, didn't notice any difference between it and the pet store version that I'm now using -- other than the hideous price. HATED the green color it gave to the water and Summer didn't much care for the taste.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance