Worried

Guest nicobellartoo

Guest nicobellartoo

I adopted a 2yo around four months ago. When we got him we noticed a round flesh tone scar on his muzzle. Never had hair on it.It almost looks like an old burn. I thought this whole time it was a scar. He is constantly rubbing his nose on the carpet couch and and his pillows...the "scar" is now red and swollen and seems to bother him when I touch it. Vet said it looks like an old injury.. I'm worried its either a growth or something else. DoNt think its ringworm. Its strange. Sometimes its normal but sometimes it just swells. Part of me thinks he fixates on it out of habit in turn causing it to swell. No pus or discharge from it either. Any ideas?

Guest nicobellartoo

Small bumps. I chalked it up to irritation.

They come and go. When he came to us that area wa s completel y flat. It got red once and a while then would go back to normal. Can scars get itchy?

I have taken him to two vets. They both said it seema like an old injury. But idk its just weird.

I've heard of greys on here having scars that swell up and become irritated in the sun. Do you ever put anything topical on it? Vitamin E oil works pretty well. However, I still would have it checked out by the vet. It may be a growth or something else that warrants removal.

Guest nicobellartoo

I've tried some aloe on it and it seems to soothe it. He runs when he sees it coming lol.

Oh! I forgot to mention...the one thing that makes me think its habit is that I boarded him over night at a doggiedaycare this past weekend and when we picked him up it was the worst I've seen it. He's an anxious dog so idk if he was rubbing out of nerves.

Oh! I forgot to mention...the one thing that makes me think its habit is that I boarded him over night at a doggiedaycare this past weekend and when we picked him up it was the worst I've seen it. He's an anxious dog so idk if he was rubbing out of nerves.

Very possible.

Have they done a scraping? It's possible that it could be a fungal and/or yeast infection. I had a foster once with an area below her eye that acted somewhat like this, and it turned out to be both. With a few simple meds it was cured and didn't return.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest nicobellartoo

No. I'm nervous its a mast cell tumor. :/ I keep thinking its not but I'm pretty sure they're common in the muzzle area. Ugh

MCT & histiocytoma's are excellent candidates for fna's as they readily give off cells and are easy to identify. IMO you should insist on an aspirate if for no other reason than pease of mind. It doesn't cost much and causes the pet little to no discomfort (it's no worse than getting a vaccine).

Btw-congrats on your new adoption-welcome to the cult!! :-)

I agree with the vet suggestion. If that comes back clean, you could try wrapping that area of his muzzle (if you use one) with vet wrap. The top of my girls's muzzle used to cut the bridge of her nose. Now it is super padded. You just replace it when it gets dirty or the "stick-um" stops sticking. You can also use bandage tape if you want it super secure.

Have they done a scraping? It's possible that it could be a fungal and/or yeast infection. I had a foster once with an area below her eye that acted somewhat like this, and it turned out to be both. With a few simple meds it was cured and didn't return.

Now that you mention it 2 of my houndies one time had little spot(s) of facial hair loss from a yeast infection diagnosed by skin scraping. Was easily cured with a ketoconazole treatment. Have no idea what caused it and no animals had it since. Bet that might be it. Cowboy Magic CrudBuster might cure it too.