First Time My New Fuzzy Will Be Off Leash....suggestions?

Guest Isabella

Guest TheModernMutt

I'm not referring to my own mistakes. When I was new to sighthounds, I was smart enough to learn from experienced owners.

Yes, they're dogs, but they're dogs that are bred for a certain purpose and with certain traits. There's no need to jump on posters who remind new owners (specifically this new owner, who ASKED for advice) that they need to take those traits into account.

I wasn't jumping, I was merely commenting on the fact that everyone said NO! Right off the bat without so much as a suggestion for an alternative. You're way (generally speaking) is not the only way. A new owner has to learn for themselves. Off leash isn't a good idea? Ok, but at least offer an alternative, such as someone did with the neighbors yard.

The only reason y'all didn't scare me is because I'm confident in my dog handling capabilities. But y'all are pretty good at scaring the crap out of anyone without a lifetime of sight hound experience behind them.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you've made that many, perhaps you're doing it wrong. My dogs have always survived, happily I might add.

It's dogs, not rocket science.

I, too, am a very experienced dog owner.

Over the past 30 years, we've had everything from GSD to Springer to Dobes (3) to PointerX, and now Greyhounds.

We've taken many training classes and compteted in Conformation, Agilty and Rally-O.

I've been working with the St. John Ambulance Therapy Dog program for 13 years.

For the most part, all of our dogs have had long, healthy lives.

And yes... 'dogs' are not rocket science.

And yes...Greyhounds are dogs!

But they are like no other dog we've ever had.

Ever.

They are bred to chase moving objects.

They run like the wind..... and have limited recall skills.

They have paper-thin skin that cuts and bruises so easily.

They have incredible eyesight, chase after anything that moves and have limited recall.

Racers have never ever seen another breed of dog

They also have no experience in how to act like a 'dog'.

So please...until you've had a Greyhound - or any other Sighthound - for more than a couple of weeks, please don't think we're telling 'horror stories'.

To the OP...I agree with Summers Mom ...please don't use a long line!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Oh wow. :blush. I didnt see any jumping on people as far as giving asked for advice. My advice was that she might want to wait a bit longer. Part of that was tempered by the fact that she is not a retired racer but a mix. Having had more 15 nonth old "beauty school dropouts" from the farms pass thru my house I can tell you I'd be much less likely to take any newly adopted young sighthound to the park than a 4 year old ex-racer. Add in the hour and a half drive and the fact some greys really don't care for dog parks and I'd certainly wait.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest TheModernMutt

So please...until you've had a Greyhound - or any other Sighthound - for more than a couple of weeks, please don't think we're telling 'horror stories'.

The only thing I think y'all are doing is underestimating other folks common sense.

And I'll digress with that being said.

The only thing I think y'all are doing is underestimating other folks common sense.

That's exactly the point - it's not always "common sense," in that what works perfectly fine for a lot of breeds does not work for sighthounds.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

It's not an issue of common sense but dog experience. The OP was considering taking her newly acquired dog to a public dog park and letting her off leash when she stated herself that she wasn't sure if she'd be able to catch her and had "no idea how her recall is". We were just responding to that with words of caution given that information. I apologize if it was too discouraging, but our goal is to help people keep their dog (and other dogs) safe.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Christopher, have you ever seen a greyhound kill another animal? Do you know how fast it happens? It's over in less than 2 seconds. I've seen it a few times.

If someone is standing at the dog park, chatting with another dog owner, and let's say an obnoxious chihuahua gets in the face of a non-leashed greyhound and pisses it off, the greyhound will chase it down, grab the dog in its mouth, shake it twice to break the neck, and it's adios, Fifi.

I don't want to be blunt but that's how it goes. And the well-meaning hound owner could have all the 'common sense' in the world, but that's not going to bring the little dog back to life and the hound owner will find themselves getting sued and/or fighting a court system that now wants to have the 'vicious' greyhound put down. My point is,why risk it?

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

That's exactly the point - it's not always "common sense," in that what works perfectly fine for a lot of breeds does not work for sighthounds.

Christopher, have you ever seen a greyhound kill another animal? Do you know how fast it happens? It's over in less than 2 seconds. I've seen it a few times.

If someone is standing at the dog park, chatting with another dog owner, and let's say an obnoxious chihuahua gets in the face of a non-leashed greyhound and pisses it off, the greyhound will chase it down, grab the dog in its mouth, shake it twice to break the neck, and it's adios, Fifi.

I don't want to be blunt but that's how it goes. And the well-meaning hound owner could have all the 'common sense' in the world, but that's not going to bring the little dog back to life and the hound owner will find themselves getting sued and/or fighting a court system that now wants to have the 'vicious' greyhound put down. My point is,why risk it?

:nod

'nuff said.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest TheModernMutt

:nod

'nuff said.

Yes, because NONE of that can happen with any other dog breed. Greyhounds are the only killers out there. It's silly to think that they are so highly specialized.

Yes, because NONE of that can happen with any other dog breed. Greyhounds are the only killers out there. It's silly to think that they are so highly specialized.

Most dogs aren't capable of reaching 45 miles per hour in three strides.

Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest TheModernMutt

Most dogs aren't capable of reaching 45 miles per hour in three strides.

Most dogs cant bite with 235 pounds of force, like the Pit can.

Most dogs don't reach the height that an Irish Wolfhound can.

Most dogs can't heard like an Aussie can.

Whats your point?

Most dogs cant bite with 235 pounds of force, like the Pit can.

Most dogs don't reach the height that an Irish Wolfhound can.

Most dogs can't heard like an Aussie can.

Whats your point?

That these are all in-bred traits that should be taken into account when you own a dog of that breed, rather than dismissing them as "It's a dog- not rocket science."

Guest TheModernMutt

That these are all in-bred traits that should be taken into account when you own a dog of that breed, rather than dismissing them as "It's a dog- not rocket science."

Again, common sense says that one probably understands the differences and unique characteristics that each dog breed has, but the fact still remains... They're all dogs.

ANYTHING can happen to any breed of dog, at any time. As long as an owner is vigilant and observative with their own dog, and uses caution at all times, they should be fine.

Again, common sense says that one probably understands the differences and unique characteristics that each dog breed has, but the fact still remains... They're all dogs.

ANYTHING can happen to any breed of dog, at any time. As long as an owner is vigilant and observative with their own dog, and uses caution at all times, they should be fine.

Your posts have made it increasingly clear to me that you don't understand the differences and unique characteristics of sighthounds. The idea that you think you can stop a greyhound from killing another dog (or, for that matter, from being killed by another dog) in a dog park by being "vigilant," is a perfect example.

However, I do think this thread has pretty much run its course.

Guest cwholsin

Which the owner has done (avoiding non-fenced off-leash). I think the negative reaction to the advice is that it seems assumed that the owner has not been watching her dog to see how she reacts with a variety of critters-- which leash walking will show you. She probably wouldn't have mentioned taking her dog to a park at all if she had seen poor reactions to small critters, other dogs, etc.! Training is fantastic, but your dog doesn't 'need' a great recall to do dog parks. Hermes' recall at dog parks sucks, so we catch him during play when we're ready to go -shrug-

Izzy is so beautiful! She'll settle in :)

Which the owner has done (avoiding non-fenced off-leash). I think the negative reaction to the advice is that it seems assumed that the owner has not been watching her dog to see how she reacts with a variety of critters-- which leash walking will show you. She probably wouldn't have mentioned taking her dog to a park at all if she had seen poor reactions to small critters, other dogs, etc.! Training is fantastic, but your dog doesn't 'need' a great recall to do dog parks. Hermes' recall at dog parks sucks, so we catch him during play when we're ready to go -shrug-

Izzy is so beautiful! She'll settle in :)

I totally disagree.

Guest TheModernMutt

Your posts have made it increasingly clear to me that you don't understand the differences and unique characteristics of sighthounds. The idea that you think you can stop a greyhound from killing another dog (or, for that matter, from being killed by another dog) in a dog park by being "vigilant," is a perfect example.

However, I do think this thread has pretty much run its course.

I fully understand them. I just choose to work with those differences instead of avoiding them.

If went to a dog park and there was a small dog I would think, "oh, there's a small dog, I should probably be careful of that." And then I might walk over within a safe range and say "excuse me Mr. small dog owner, I have a greyhound with a high prey drive. We should be extra careful." And then I may, or may not decide to let my dog off leash depending on the security of the fences, park population, etc."

Edited by TheModernMutt

Guest Clawsandpaws

Isabella, taking into account sight hound traits, most experienced sight hound owners would not recommend bringing your dog to an off leash park just yet :) I do not consider myself to be experienced, and every time I bring my dog to the park I am a little nervous! I try to be as vigilant as possible, but I do realize that my boy can surprise me and do something unexpected. I have had him for a year, and I am still learning new things about him :)

45 mins is a long drive for a park! If you do decide to go, and if you are able to, go during an off time where the park may be empty or have very few people. I would definitely recommend finding an empty baseball diamond as others have mentioned. If you do this, please make sure you walk the perimeter first to ensure it is completely fenced and all gates are close (also bring some baggies to clean up poo! My boy will go 3-5 times at the park when he is off leash) If you are uncomfortable/overly nervous (past the first time jitters) just remove yourself and Izzy as best you can. I can't help you with recall since my guy rarely leaves my side, and if he does, he tries to find me again as soon as possible, maybe your girl will be like that too.

Your girl is absolutely gorgeous, and I hope she brings you a lot of joy! As she settles in you will discover so many wonderful qualities!

:drama

To the OP. Its your dog. Its your life. And its your right to ask for suggestions/opinions. What you do with them after that is your decision.

That being said...............hell no would I try off leash yet. Nor would I use a long lead. This coming from the woman who, at her first dewey, had a collar and a harness on each of her greys, with a leash attached to both. This is also coming from the woman who's first grey escaped his harness when spooked by the wind. Safety measures? Didnt matter. And did I mention my 4th grey who was bounced because she attacked the cat that she had previously lived in harmony with for 5 years?? Vigilance? Didnt work here. Then there is my 5th grey who has been home since Nov 30 and still wont come near me, actually runs when I reach to pet her. Recall? Whats that?

Look, the bottom line is, you've asked for advice. You have received it.

Edited by Holly

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

I fully understand them. I just choose to work with those differences instead of avoiding them.

If went to a dog park and there was a small dog I would think, "oh, there's a small dog, I should probably be careful of that." And then I might walk over within a safe range and say "excuse me Mr. small dog owner, I have a greyhound with a high prey drive. We should be extra careful." And then I may, or may not decide to let my dog off leash depending on the security of the fences, park population, etc."

Taking a "greyhound with a high prey drive," to a dog park isn't working with differences. It's asking for trouble, however "careful," you are while you're there.

We are going to try a long line lead and a harness to start with, that way she can have a bit of a run and we can practice recall as

Please be careful! We did something similar with a spooky Vizsla when I was a kid. He started running fast, and my mother got tangled in the long line. I thought it was hilarious when she was drug 5 feet by her ankle, but now I know she's lucky to not have gotten seriously hurt. And the Vizsla was smaller and slower than a greyhound!

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Oh wow. :blush. I didnt see any jumping on people as far as giving asked for advice. My advice was that she might want to wait a bit longer. Part of that was tempered by the fact that she is not a retired racer but a mix. Having had more 15 nonth old "beauty school dropouts" from the farms pass thru my house I can tell you I'd be much less likely to take any newly adopted young sighthound to the park than a 4 year old ex-racer. Add in the hour and a half drive and the fact some greys really don't care for dog parks and I'd certainly wait.

Neither did I, and I did see plenty of alternatives suggested--like continuing with leash walking, which is what I said.

I have had dogs my entire life too. I've been paid to train other people's dogs. And George has been a totally different experience for me. He is NOT just like a "regular" dog. There were times when I was a new hound owner that I got ticked off at the advise people gave me that was UNSOLICITED. The original poster of this thread ASKED what she should do, and people answered.

I don't get what's so heinous about that.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck