Future Greyhound Owner In Az

Guest muffin14

Guest muffin14

Hi all! Been lurking for a while, but decided to finally introduce myself! We've been considering a sight hound for the past year or so, but wanted to wait until we bought a house and our girls were a bit older... Then I started researching retired racers.

They truly seem perfect for us. I decided to put in an application with one of our local rescues and we have a home check scheduled for Tuesday. Yesterday we stopped by the animal fair that the rescue was participating in to check out some of the prospective hounds. We were particularly drawn to the fawn boy I had been eyeing on their website. This was our first time actually interacting with and discussing greyhounds in any depth, and I was quite pleased. DH fell in love. I was able to take him on a stroll around the park and he did amazing around all the strollers, wheelchairs, people, car and motorcycle noises, etc. We passed several dogs of various sizes and breeds without issue, but didn't attempt any introductions.

After the home check we still have to introduce him to the girls. We have a two year old and a three month old. Our toddler is totally laid back around dogs- she lets the dog approach her first and likes the tickling of a dog sniffing her, gives a couple pats on the back then she's ready to go back to whatever she was doing. Even the rowdy/nippy dogs she simply turns her back to them and laughs and says "Goggy silly!" I am beyond confident in her and myself as a supervisor/educator to see that they can live together harmoniously. We just bought a dog bed and she is learning now that it is an off-limits area. So it's pretty much up to the dog at this point.

If all goes well, we will still have to see what they decide to do about his tail, which he busted open at the kennel. It could be another month of recovery with his foster if they decide to amputate (we find out Wednesday). Totally worth the wait though. We did discuss the possibility of doing a foster contract with us until he is deemed healthy enough for an adoption contract. But that's something we still have to discuss more in-depth.

Anyway, I'm just really excited about the opportunity to have one of these amazing dogs! I am sooo ready to share my home with a dog again- it has been way too lonely without one! Looking forward to learning more and hopefully getting to experience firsthand the joys and challenges of owning a retired racer. I'll keep this thread updated as we go through the adoption process!

Welcome...hope it all works out.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Welcome from Chandler, AZ! I love finding other Arizonans on here! I have only been owned by grays for about a year and remember your excitement well!

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

Guest muffin14

Thanks for all the welcomes!! We had the home check today and later this week our boy is going to come over to check out the apartment and meet the girls! The vet said that his tail has healed 60% and Friday he will determine whether or not it should be amputated. I can't wait to see him again!

Guest muffin14

Well, I just got a call from the rescue. They turned us down because our girls are too young. I am completely floored right now. I was clear about that on our application, I talked to the lady over the phone about it, we talked about it when we met them at the animal fair, we discussed it during the home visit. I don't know what happened. Their reasoning was because greys have long tails and are sleep aggressive. I knew that. I was prepared for that.

I keep replaying the home visit in my head, trying to find where any flags could have been raised. The girls were perfect. The only thing that came up was one lady noticed a baby toy that rattled and asked the foster how the dog we wanted reacted to things like that, to which she said she doesn't see it being any concern. We even talked about the dog bed and how my toddler knows not to play on it, and how we were willing to put it in a crate for added safety.

I just don't get it. Why would they even consider our application if that was going to be a deal-breaker regardless of how much we educated ourselves and prepared for it. I'm crushed. I don't even know how to tell my husband. Just a sad day all around.

So sorry you got your hopes up only to be turned down. I do kind of agree that two veeeery young children would probably be stressful for most greys (nothing against your children personally). Just that there's a lot of noise and commotion that comes with having little kids around. It's not uncommon for an adoption group to require the children be a certain age. But still, they should've made that clear in the beginning. :(

Guest Scouts_mom

I am so sorry that your group didn't tell you up front. My group has a similar rule, but has bent it at times when the kids are used to dogs. You should check into other groups in your area and you will probably find one that is okay with the kids.