Urgent!: Question About Making A Dog Throw Up.

Right not the dog is fine. He is walking and breathing and acting himself. BUT about 5 minutes ago my mom's australian cattle dog ate SOMETHING. We don't know what it was but it was but we are sure it was it was something solid and not edible. He started choking and wasn't breathing for around 15-20 seconds. I was going to do CPR, rolled him on his side/back but he started breathing on his own. Then he let out a loud burp. We were going to induce vomiting but decided against it due to us not knowing what it was and if it would do more damage coming back up. Should be take him to the vet or wait and see what he does. If we are to wait and see, what should be waiting and watching for. Also we my mom lives in a small town and there are no E-vets within 45 minutes of her home.

If it was big enough for him to choke on then I definitely would not induce vomiting or he may choke again or do some damage. Personally if it were big enough to choke a dog it may get stuck. I would want him seen by a vet and x-rayed to find out if the object is going to move at all. You can take the wait and see option and hope that at some point he doesn't try and vomit it up himself. If he were mine, and I don't panic easily, and had stopped breathing because of the size of the object, I'd want him seen by a vet. Most vets are open half days on Saturdays, you may be able to find one open who can at least x-ray the dog.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Don't induce vomiting. If he choked on it going down, he could do the same thing with it coming back up.

Try to figure out what it was. (What's missing? A child's toy?) If it could have sharp points, give him a bit of bread to pad the corners. Others, I'm sure, will be around to tell you what to look for. Mostly, if he's straining to vomit, he needs the vet.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

He's not choking anymore and he is actually his old self barking and running around. We searched everywhere in the living room which is where he was at when he came up to us choking. There are not children in the house, just two adults and then me when I come to visit. We looked around at any of the knick knack he could have reached and we came up empty. We can't find anything out of place.

If there's no vet handy with half-day hours, I'd probably load him in the car and start that 45-minute drive. When I got there, depending on how he looked, I think I'd go ahead and spend the money on the e-vet exam.

Because the alternative is that no one would get any sleep around here until the mystery object showed up again--which could be a couple of days--and the peace of mind of having him examined by the e-vet would be worth the cost.

And a 45-minute drive with a dog in visible distress would be a nightmare. A 45-minute drive before the distress hits would be much better.

I know of a dog that swallowed a container of dental-floss he snatched off the coffee table. No one realized it was missing because it shouldn't have been there in the first place. The dog nearly died.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

If it was big enough to choke him, it's big enough to create a blockage on the other end. This is a life-threatening situation and *could* require surgical removal of the object. His chances of getting through surgery fine are much better if he's not in distress to start with.

E-vet and an xray are in order, IMO.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Agreed, e-vet and xrays unfortunately.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Hydrogen peroxide poured right down the gullet will make a dog vomit red white and blue.

But it sounds like you were correct in this instance in just having your mom take him to the vet ASAP considering he swallowed a large object.

Please let us know how it works out!

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg