How To Bandage A Wound On Top Of The Muzzle

so Zeke got a small open owie on the top of his muzzle on Sunday, in between his eyes and nose, right on the top of the muzzle. It's not large, smaller than an eraser head, but I'm naving a hard time getting it to even START to try to scab over as he keeps scratching it open again. The picture below doesn't really show what it's like, the fur is gone and you can see tissue under it (bloody).

I've been putting spray EMT on it as well as Silver Shield, but he keeps opening it up. I can't vet wrap it because of there it's at.

any suggestions on how to bandage it?

IMG_0835_zpse267dea9.jpg

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

with a kiss and a superman bandaid! :flip

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Have you tried an antibiotic ointment that includes an analgesic like pramoxine? Am just wondering if the wound it bothering him & causing him to rub it. Just a thought. Other than something like that I'd probably just leave it alone. Although, bandaids actually do stick to them. We've used them before. If he's scratching or rubbing it though then he'd likely rub a bandage off. Won't know till you try though. Good luck.

A regular band aid or would he try and get it off?

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

If it's anything that would obstruct his vision he will likely try and rub it off. So I would not even try an regular bandaid. You might have some luck with liquid bandage - just keep reapplying it.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I would probably leave it alone, but you could pad the nose part of a muzzle and just have him wear the muzzle. Sticking a (small) maxi pad to the muzzle would work. Sticky part to the plastic.

I hate to have the muzzle on him, it's what caused the sore to begin with -- there is a piece of like "moleskin" stuff to the part that hits the top of the muzzle at the end, for comfort. We muzzle them the very first thing in the morning because both are going nuts to eat and Larry can be crabby. Once he comes downstairs and goes into the room he gets fed in, it comes off. On Saturday, though, he "rammed" into Larry's underside and the moleskin stuff scraped the fur off the spot and caused the problem :(

I used to use regular band aids on Gill if he would get an open sore on a leg. It would probably work on the muzzle, too!

I am putting one on, but it doesn't last, especially when he scratches or rubs it off.

If it's anything that would obstruct his vision he will likely try and rub it off. So I would not even try an regular bandaid. You might have some luck with liquid bandage - just keep reapplying it.

we are, using the EMT spray gel (which is more "liquidy" than the gel, I prefer the gel). But he just goes and scrapes or rubs it off :(

Is he rubbing it on things, or using his feet to scratch off the scab? Can you use moleskin to pad the heck out of a muzzle and leave it on him? Or make him wear socks if his feet are the problem?

both. And the moleskin seems to make it worse, it's more raw when I take the muzzle off. I in fact removed the moleskin piece from his "outdoor" muzzle (has a poop cup, he wears it many times during the day) so it wouldn't bother him.

he just keeps opening in back up, I can't get it to even start to heal. I'm worried it will get bigger :(

I think I have burn cream that has antibiotic stuff as well as analgesic so I may try that.

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I would probably leave his muzzle off until it scabs over, and let him out separately so there's no squabbling. You really can't 'bandage' that wound, nor does it really need it, if you can find a way round letting the muzzle scrape it open on a daily basis.

If he absolutely MUST wear it you'd probably have more luck with lambskin than moleskin, but seriously, there's no way I'd muzzle him if the muzzle is resting on that wound.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I would probably leave his muzzle off until it scabs over, and let him out separately so there's no squabbling. You really can't 'bandage' that wound, nor does it really need it, if you can find a way round letting the muzzle scrape it open on a daily basis.

If he absolutely MUST wear it you'd probably have more luck with lambskin than moleskin, but seriously, there's no way I'd muzzle him if the muzzle is resting on that wound.

the muzzle is off 90% of the time (he has to wear it outside, he eats inappropriate things, but this one doesn't have the moleskin so it's not bothering it that I can see) -- and Bruce is leaving the one with the moleskin off in the morning (starting this morning) and just hand walking him into the dining room to be fed so he doesn't bother Larry. HE'S scraping it back open, either by rubbing it or my scratching with his legs. I try to catch him when he does but I'm not with him 24/7 :(