Canidae

beledi

I am thinking of the Canidae Bison in the next dog food bag rotation. Anyone have any comments on this food?

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

We fed Canidae for a while during treatment for osteo. My dogs all liked it, and we'd probably still be feeding it if it was a little more affordable. We ate one of the fish-based recipes, though all of them looked good.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

When I first got my hounds so so many years ago I fed the Canidae salmon feed. One hound did great on it but one hound it gave bad running poo. It was too rich for her system and a tad on the pricey side for me

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Years ago I was a die-hard Canidae fanatic. I fed it to my hounds and fed Felidae to my cats. Thought it was the best food in the world.

First they sharply raised their prices while cutting the bag size by 10 pounds over the course of several months... in 2 pound increments, so that hopefully we wouldn't notice the Incredible Shrinking Bag trick.

Then they changed their formula to add more grains, i.e. millet. The dogs were hungry all the time, they had soft orange poo and Tiny turned into a poop eater. I left Canidae and never looked back.

Things may have changed since then, but I'm done with Canidae.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Thanks for the input. I am going to try the Bison. It compares in price to the Nutrisca I feed and has a couple more pounds. It is Grain Free.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

I fed Canidae for awhile a few years ago and my dogs seemed to do really well on it, but I was disappointed in some formula changes and decided to try Taste of the Wild which I have stuck with to this point.

• 3 months later...

I switched our Grey girls to Canidae Platinum a month or so ago since their California Natural low fat lamb & rice got recalled. We're on the second 30# bag of Canidae & this week our senior girl started vomiting with diarrhea (pudding consistency). She's had all the usual gastritis, pancreatitis testing done & has not had any Canidae all week, but has been on the boiled chicken or hamburger & rice diet. Vomiting has stopped, but poop is still yellowish, pudding like. I've read some horror reviews about Canidae today with those same symptoms. Our girls have never been fed a food with probiotic in it, although I had been giving them some yogurt once a day until all of this occurred. Now I'm researching an alternate dry food for them--preferably low fat. I've read most of the food posts here with many, many recommendations & realize that what works for one Grey may not work for another. Not looking forward to starting the hunt for a different dry food again so soon... Has anyone else experienced gastro-related issues from Canidae or a food with probiotic in it? The first 30# bag of Canidae Platinum our girls ate, there were no gastro issues at all--in fact, their poop was an even better consistency. Thanks for any feedback!

Years ago I was a die-hard Canidae fanatic. I fed it to my hounds and fed Felidae to my cats. Thought it was the best food in the world.

First they sharply raised their prices while cutting the bag size by 10 pounds over the course of several months... in 2 pound increments, so that hopefully we wouldn't notice the Incredible Shrinking Bag trick.

Then they changed their formula to add more grains, i.e. millet. The dogs were hungry all the time, they had soft orange poo and Tiny turned into a poop eater. I left Canidae and never looked back.

Things may have changed since then, but I'm done with Canidae.

Same here.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.