Vestibular Disease.

My italian greyhound has this..it has been 4 days with limited improvement. He is unable to stand at all.. but yesterday he attempted to get himself to sit up. doing the same today. his head tilt it to the left..very pronounced. He has been at the vet since Friday morning. He is eating well. (hand fed) they have him on an IV, but I believe he could drink from a bowl. current meds: valium, antibiotics, something for dizziness. he has not had any upset stomach at all. was on steroids, (have to ask if he still is). He completely recognizes us. i am hoping there is no underlying cause for the symptoms. He is my heart dog. we are lost without each other.

Can anyone offer any experiences with this horrifying disease. I have been reading everything I can get my hands onto .

I want to bring him home and crate him. I am thinking he will be more relaxed in his own home where he could see Missy my lonely grey. I could come home at lunch as I work five minutes away.

Advice please? I am beside myself with worry and fear.

Our greyhound Hobbes had Vestibular twice. He was on similar medication and had difficulty walking for about a week. Very gradually he improved in slow steps and by the end of two weeks was back to normal. The recovery time seems to vary from dog to dog but it sounds like your boy is doing well. It is hard not to worry when you see them feeling ill.

I agree with you and tbhounds. He should be able to recover at home and would probably be a lot happier.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

My eleven year old galgo, Valor had a bout of vestibular. One day we were walking and he just kept falling over. Brought him to the vet and diagnosed with vestibular. He was not a huge galgo about 53 lbs. I brought him home on valium and medication for dizziness (forget the name), I set the crate up to keep him quiet and comfortable (had two other dogs at home also). He recovered very slowly, a little bit every day. I think you could manage your dog at home in a crate and I agree he would probably feel a lot better in familiar surroundings. I had to help Valor steady himself when we went out to go to the bathroom other wise he would fall over but like I said, he was much bigger than your guy. Good luck and I hope you see improvement soon.

Linda, Jack and Keeva

thank you all. I am hoping to bring my Flex home tomorrow. he will be more comfortable at home. and I will more relaxed. He can't seem to move on his own..just flounders around. cannot stand at all. when he is on my lap (12.2 lbs) he looks comfortable and looks right at me. I massaged his neck and it seemed like he could move it a bit more. He has been on IV, but does drink when water is given to him. They wanted to be sure he would drink before removing the iv.. hopefully tomorrow.

Has anyone given acupuncture for vestibular? I read somewhere that it could help. My grey Missy gets it for her back. it is done my house. I am going to give it a try for Flex. She said it does help.

Edited by dbullwinkel

I left the acupuncturist a message. will call her today...he is drinking if a bowl is brought to him. we discussed me bringing him home to recuperate at home. that is what I need to do for him..i am lost without him...I know he feels the same way. IGs need their "person"

Aw, poor little guy and poor worried person! Hope he can come home today and make a good recovery.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Mimi had a bout of vestibular. I'd say it was a good couple of weeks before she was walking steadily on her own and probably a couple of months before the head tilt went away and she was back to normal.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Progress is good! Scritchies to the little guy when you see him.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I've successfully treated vestibular with holistic care.

It takes time, but the dogs do come around.

Acupuncture is key.

Info at Greyhound Gang - http://www.greyhoundgang.org/medical-neurological.php

Theres an old saying--- treat vestibular disease and it will resolve AND dont treat vestibular disease and it will resolve.