Back Legs Giving Out

Guest Doreybelle

Guest Doreybelle

Hi everyone,

A couple hours ago, my Dorey attempted to go down to the basement to her bed in my room. As soon as she went down a couple stairs her back legs gave out and couldn't support her. I needed to help her get down to lay in her bed. She came up with a little hesitation but did end up making it up the stairs.

She's also tripping getting into her bed and seemed to sway a little. When she is laying down she seems to be breathing fine and doesn't act any different than she usually would. It's only when she gets up does she stumble. There is no limping though, I have been keeping an eye out for that.

She also hasn't really eaten anything since is morning and has only drank water.

I'm worried because she hasn't acted like this at all since I got her over a year ago. She is on antibiotics and a probiotic since Monday for a diarrhea issue so I'm not sure if it is the medicine she is on currently?

Should I call my vet ASAP. I don't know what to do and I'm worried for her!

I hope it isn't anything major, and I could use some advice,

If she's an older dog, I'd think it was hind end weakness associated with aging. Raven is struggling with that now.

If she's a young dog, I would be suspicious that it might be something like Wobbler's Syndrome and would suggest getting her to the vet for testing.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

I will tell you what worked for us. Use what you want and toss the rest. My gh at age 3.5 stared stumbling and a few days later was paralyzed (she came from the Mexico track). She was hospitalized for about 10 days, lost 20 lbs of muscle mass as she was a huge girl. This was in 2004. Ran every test we could think of and the vets never had a diagnosis. They thought it was some virus that she picked up at the Mexico track and it was in her spine. Slowly she started walking again (the muscle mass never came back), weak, had her on heavy prednisone and antibiotic's. She stayed on prednisone the rest of her life and lived 7 more years. Slowly we were able to reduce the dosage of the prednisone. Yes I know how bad prednisone is but we felt it was necessary. What I think saved her was the holistic vet appts. First we started on a weekly basis with acupuncture and chiro, finally got to a point it was every three weeks for the rest of her life. If you take anything away from my rambling on...........it may not be as bad as it seems and perhaps consider holistic care along with the traditional western medicine. She never fully recovered but she lived a pain free life with small walks, was always weak in the hind legs. There is HOPE for your pup! At age 10 we said good bye because the day came when she just could not get up.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

If the antibiotic she is on for diarrhea is metronidazole (Flagyl), potential side effects include neurologic signs. It's usually only seen at very high doses, but just wanted to throw that out as a possibility. Regardless, if this is a new problem, it should definitely be assessed by your vet if it continues. Whether this requires an emergency vet visit depends on whether she's stable, in distress, etc. If you're not sure, call your local e-vet and ask their advice.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Doreybelle

Thanks everyone,

Took Dorey to my vet and they immediately referred us to the e-vet. Got down there and they did some more testing and have figured out it has something to do with her brain. Could be a stroke or a blood clot in her brain. He also said there was a high possibility of a brain tumor. They are keeping her overnight to do some bloodworm and X-rays and whatnot. She will also be seeing a neurologist to get a better picture and what exactly is wrong with her. Fingers crossed its not what I'm thinking.

She's going to be 8 this April, not very old!!

That is exactly the antibiotics she is on. Only been on for a few days and they did say these were the side effects.

Should be getting a call tonight or tomorrow with an update on my sweet Dorey.

Keep her in your prayers please!!!

Guest Doreybelle

Got a call from the e-vet late last night and being told me good news which made me feel a million times better.

Her X-rays came out good, nothing out of the normal there. Her bloodworm was a little low, I'm not exactly sure what he said, I think it was something about blood levels which hers was 20 and it should be 27? He wasn't too worried about that because he said it could have been from a little dehydration since she wasn't eating or drinking at all yesterday, or because of thedirrehea she's had for the past couple weeks.

If she did have a stroke or a blood clot, he told methylene to recover pretty quickly and could be normal today. I so hope so!

She's meeting with the neurologist first thing this morning, so I'm a little on edge waiting to hear what he has to say.

Hoping for some great news for little Dorey.

Guest Doreybelle

Another update for everyone

Just got a call from the neurologist. Good news, he told me that Dorey has suffered from a stroke. Since she's been having a bad case of dirrehea for the past couple weeks that is explaining why her protein levels are low. And that is what caused her stroke, she was losing so much protein through the dirrehea.

He is turning her over to an internalist to see what we can do from here now. I should be expecting another call sometime this afternoon, but in TE meantime she is comfortable there and doing well.

Positive thoughts to make sure she doesn't get any worse, only better from here!

Thank goodness it is nothing worse!

Guest Doreybelle

Thanks for the kind words!

I talked to the internalist and she told me that she would like to go ahead and do some ultrasounds and some scoping. She is going in at 3:00 today to do all of that. She did also tell me Dorey could have GI Disease. Hopefully these ultrasounds and everything will give me a better idea of what is going on with my poor little Dorey. I should be getting another call once they are done everything so they can let me know if they need to go ahead and do some biopsies to see if there is any cancer in her. As of now, there doesn't seem to be any indication that she has a brain tumor like the emerg vet had sad she could have last night. Thank goodness.
I am really hoping that it won't come down to that, and she will make a full recovery.

Keeping you and your girl in my thoughts!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Doreybelle

Thanks!

Just got off the phone with the e-vet. They did the ultrasounds and did not find any masses in her stomach. There was some fluid that shouldn't be there and the lining if her stomach were prominent. Right now they are putting her under to do the scoping, so now I'm just waiting for the phone call again. So very thankful it wasn't terrible news that I just got!

Guest Doreybelle

Good news! Dorey is waking up from being put under. She definitely has GI Disease, but were not sure what type. We're waiting for those results and for the biopsy results which should be in next week. As for her stumbling and neuro symptoms, they are hoping that it is all related to the GI Disease. If by Monday they for subside and go away, she will probably have to go back for an MRI with the neurologist to see if there is something else going on who her brain on top of having this disease. She is on a high dose of steroids and a new low fat diet for her low cholesterol. Hopefully I can bring my sweet girl home tonight, but might have to keep her there for one more night.

I'm so thrilled it wasn't anything worse, and am still praying that her neuro symptoms will go away with the new meds she'll be on!

All fingers and toes crossed for your girl! Hope whatever she has, it is well manageable.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Doreybelle

Thanks so much! All this love means so much to me and to Dorey! I hope so too! By the sounds of it, if there is no more neuro things, everything should be manageable with meds and the steroids!

Good updates! I hope Dorey continues to improve and she'll be home and happy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Doreybelle

Just picked up my Dorey! Still a little wobbly from the stroke, but looking so much more like herself! Went right to her bed as soon as we got home as fell asleep!

They've got her on Pepcid for her stomach and Prednisone. As well as a low fat diet I'm switching her to gradually.

As long as the neurological symptoms go away, she won't need to be going back there any time soon!

Got to keep an eye on her this weekend to see if they go away, if not back to the e-vet for a brain MRI. Crossing my fingers that won't have to happen!

But as for now, she's finally home and happy and seems to be doing much better!