Enlarged Prostate...

Guest greybabylove

Guest greybabylove

Has anyone had a grey with an enlarged prostate before? Apparently Crush's is enlarged. The vet said it's common with dogs who are neutered later in life (he was 4 years old with he was fixed). We are treating him for an infection but if it doesn't clear up after 10 days we need to look at other issues. Just wondering if it's as common as she says it is, and if I should be worried :(

Hate to say it, but enlarged prostates are not common in neutered dogs, regardless of when he was neutered. After neutering, the prostate shrinks within a few months. It's also very uncommon for neutered dogs to get prostate infections. An enlarged prostate in a neutered dog, unfortunately, is more likely to be cancer. Infections are possible, but less common.

It probably won't make much of a difference to wait the 10 days and see what the antibiotics do, but I'd personally be looking further sooner rather than later with x-rays and/or ultrasound. I believe you mentioned in your other thread that he was painful. Did your vet prescribe any pain meds?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Hate to say it, but enlarged prostates are not common in neutered dogs, regardless of when he was neutered. After neutering, the prostate shrinks within a few months. It's also very uncommon for neutered dogs to get prostate infections. An enlarged prostate in a neutered dog, unfortunately, is more likely to be cancer. Infections are possible, but less common.It probably won't make much of a difference to wait the 10 days and see what the antibiotics do, but I'd personally be looking further sooner rather than later with x-rays and/or ultrasound. I believe you mentioned in your other thread that he was painful. Did your vet prescribe any pain meds?

This was my thought too but, didn't want to be the first to say it :-) :-)

Guest greybabylove

No I am aware of the possibilities of cancer. I'm staying positive at this point. She put pressure in spots all over his body trying to find any tender areas that may be causing the yelps. This spot was just before his hip bone toward the underside of his belly. As far as pain meds, no, but some muscle relaxers because of his spasms and cramps. We plan on doing an ultrasound if things don't go back down to normal. Thanks for your input. I would rather have some more info rather than be oblivious, no matter how bad. Need to prepare myself :\

Guest greybabylove

No just xrays today. Going back when the antibiotics are done. They will check it again then and if it's no better then ultrasound is the next step. Hopefully it doesn't need to go that far.

Hate to say it, but enlarged prostates are not common in neutered dogs, regardless of when he was neutered. After neutering, the prostate shrinks within a few months. It's also very uncommon for neutered dogs to get prostate infections. An enlarged prostate in a neutered dog, unfortunately, is more likely to be cancer. Infections are possible, but less common.

It probably won't make much of a difference to wait the 10 days and see what the antibiotics do, but I'd personally be looking further sooner rather than later with x-rays and/or ultrasound. I believe you mentioned in your other thread that he was painful. Did your vet prescribe any pain meds?

Yup. :(

From experience, a retained nut can cause an enlarged prostate. Especially when the owner (us) was never aware that the dog (Dylan) had retained nuts at all. :angryfire

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

As posted in your other thread, all I can offer is good thoughts for Crush and you. I do agree that possibly getting an ultrasound earlier makes sense as while 10 days doesn't seem long, if it is cancer then you can decide on your options sooner as it always takes a few days to make those kind of decisions.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

:goodluck Sending good thoughts that the antibiotics do the trick. Keep us posted.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I'm glad the vet spoke up because my vet said prostate problems are pretty unusual in neutered dogs.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I currently have a permanent foster who is 11. He was not neutered until he was 10, He had severe prostattitis. He is doing well now considering all his issues which were numerous. He does have accidents but I"m not sure how much of that is related to this or other issues.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Jeramie had a prostate infection. Neutered at age 4.5 and got it several months later. A round of antibiotics cleared it up and I don't believe he's had an issue since. Re-exam of his prostate after the antibiotics showed it was back to normal.

Hope that's all it is!

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Guest greybabylove
I currently have a permanent foster who is 11. He was not neutered until he was 10, He had severe prostattitis. He is doing well now considering all his issues which were numerous. He does have accidents but I"m not sure how much of that is related to this or other issues.

a permanent foster? How does that work ;) thanks, gives me a bit of hope :)

Jeramie had a prostate infection. Neutered at age 4.5 and got it several months later. A round of antibiotics cleared it up and I don't believe he's had an issue since. Re-exam of his prostate after the antibiotics showed it was back to normal.

Hope that's all it is!

oh thank you! i am hoping this fixes him up. I'm not ready to deal with the C word yet :( if ever.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest greybabylove

I figured I would update this post. I had Crush to the vet last night for a follow up. She did a prostate exam (he did not like that LOL) and his prostate seems fine now, so the antibiotics seemed to help. He has also been off the muscle relaxers for a few days and seems to have no more pain. Here's hoping it stays that way! :)

That is awesome news!!!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.