Blue Buffalo Feeders, I Need Advice

I feed based on the appearance of my dog, not based on what the bag says. If his weight and condition is fine, you are feeding enough calories. If HE thinks he's starving to death, you can add low-calorie snacks. Many dogs enjoy whole fresh carrots, for instance. And don't quote me on this one but I believe some people add beet pulp as a stomach-filling fiber (I'm sure someone else can confirm the beet pulp thing).

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

My little old lady is about 54 pounds and I feed her 1.25-1.5 cups morning and night, with wet food in the morning and green beans with dinner. It's been hard to keep weight on her as she's gotten older (13!) but that's more than I fed her on Chicken Soup. I also go by appearance as well, as it doesn't take much for her to drop a bit and her ribs to get too prominent.

ETA: I feed her BB Freedom, in case it makes a difference

Edited by Meandmy

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

A couple things:

1. Is it a grain-free food? Many of the grain free foods are also low in carbs, which may explain why he's hungry.

2. Has he been wormed recently? And are poops normal?

3. Are you able to feed three smaller meals per day?

If the food isn't grain free and you've adjusted the feeding schedule and ruled out any medical issue, the one other trick is frozen green beans.

Guest jenniferk

My boy is also 80 pounds & I feed him 2 cups of BB wilderness twice a day. The only things I mix in are a spoonful of oatmeal & broth I save when I boil him soup bones and sometimes a scrambled egg as a treat. He never seems to be starving.

I feed based on the appearance of my dog, not based on what the bag says.

:nod Yup, feed based on the dog's body condition, not how much the dog thinks he should eat. For most greyhounds, you should be able to see the last 2-3 ribs and the tips of the hip bones. If he is currently a good weight, and you feed more because he acts hungry, you'll make him fat. As others have suggested, there are other ways to satisfy the hunger. Or he might not really be hungry, just a typical dog who loves food.

Also keep in mind how much food a dog needs is very individual, depending on metabolism, activity level, and other factors. Not every 80-lb greyhound needs the same amount of food. My 65-lb male greyhound eats less than my 55-lb female.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Also keep in mind how much food a dog needs is very individual, depending on metabolism, activity level, and other factors. Not every 80-lb greyhound needs the same amount of food. My 65-lb male greyhound eats less than my 55-lb female.

:nod

Nadir at 67-lbs has always required more food than Chase at 85-lbs and my 100-lb AB Bruiser.

Guest memadeit

My female has been starving for ten years. And both of my dogs are starving to death when hubby is home and they know that he will slip them some food behind my back. I haven't met a dog yet that isn't starving when I have food in my hands.

My House is at an ideal weight right now....he's a very big boy, 95 lbs. but according to him, he's starving. He gets 1 3/4 cups of kibble with a little canned and vegetables twice a day to maintain that nicely. If I fed him 6 cups five times a day, he'd eat it....he'd eat sawdust if I mixed some goodies in with it. If Slick is maintaining a good weight, he's not starving....he's begging!!!!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)