Dental Issues

after breakfast sunday i was at the computer, millie was on her bed nearby. i heard her start licking herself, and after a minute, i turned to look at why she was still doing it. blood all over. all over her nose and jaw, up and down her legs where she'd licked & all over her bed - looked like an abattoir. panic. hosed her off in shower. no cuts on legs. blood pouring out of her mouth. blood all over bathroom, she shook & blood all over hallway & went back to bed. called vet who came out about a half hour later. he's fairly sure it was a tooth. pain meds and anti-biotics. scheduled in for a dental this morning (monday). he suspects he'll need to remove a few more teeth. discussed anesthesia & her age. he said he thought she'd be fine. bleeding stopped a little bit after he left. i washed her & she went out for a walk later, did her business as usual, & ate a bit for dinner, and ate her evening anti-biotic in a sausage OK.

anyhow, she'll be going in for the dental work this morning in about 2 hrs. and should be home tonight, a bit more toothless.

please send over some kind thoughts and prayers for my 12.5 year old girl.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

she's back this morning. was too wobbly to come home last nite, so they kept her in till this morning. she's lost her few remaining teeth, aside from her 4 canines which are OK. she's on tramadol, and an antibiotic, along with her metacam (which will be long term for her slightly arthritic hip). they said she ate a bit of food and water last night without any problem, had a pee & poo ok this morning before they brought her back. vet is going to stop by friday lunchtime for a post-op visit with her. (our vet is a mobile vet service.) so far emergency sunday visit & meds, anesthesia & other meds for her dental, blood tests, extractions, drip, post-op care (including the friday followup) has cost me £431.61 ($US 695.13). the surgeon was very communicative, called me during the op to let me know what he was up to, lots of calls from the nurses afterwards.

she's having a bit of a snooze at the moment on her shredded memory foam bed*, otherwise seems back to normal.

*-spent yesterday in a csi cleanup, including the bloody cover and the inner nylon liner, which had a small zippered section that allowed me to pull out the non-washable (and luckily non-bloody) inner foam bits - three black trash bags of same). along with the towels, all washed in a bio detergent with an oxygen bleach/disinfectant. getting the foam back into the liner bag was fun (not), but all was eventually back in place awaiting her royal heinnieness' return.

missed her last night & worried that she might not make it. meanwhile she was partying with the vet's nite staff & endearing herself to them. i got told she was a sweetie & very well behaved.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

Glad she is back home with you! Hope she is back to herself in no time.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Has there been any more bleeding? I find it unusual to see as much blood as you describe just from a tooth. Did they find the source of the bleeding when they did her dental? Did she have bloodwork done? Hopefully, it was just an odd, one-time thing, and she doesn't have any further problems. But I'd keep a close eye on her, and consider further investigation, as well as Amicar, if she has any more bleeding from her mouth.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

wasn't just a tooth, she had a nasal-oral fistula blow out. it's part of why the vet will be visiting friday to see if it's healing OK or if she needs further surgery. she was pretty much not showing any symptoms till the event. vet said that dogs are especially good at hiding symptoms. she'd been eating her denta-sticks with gusto on that side right up to this. she'd lost her pre-molars and incisors right after she came off the track, the molars were a bit iffy last checkup, but not worth anesthesising her.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

Guest DiforDan

Glad she is better.

My Pingu had a weird episode of bleeding from the mouth, there was just a tiny nick in his gum half way back between two teeth. Adrenaline swab didn't stop it, compression worked for a short time, then it got worse and was pumping out like arterial blood. He had to have an operation and a stitch didn't work so it had to be cauterised. He hasn't had any major teeth out so I don't suppose it could have been a fistula. Still don't really know why it bled so much!

Anyway, again, glad she seems to be improving!

regular vet came by yesterday (not the surgeon) as he was concerned from what the surgeon had said.

he examined millie, all is healing nicely and he says she is ahead of schedule. she's eating well (overeating actually :)) and putting back on the weight she'd lost over the last two weeks or so. she let the vet examine her mouth w/o any fuss.

he looked at the fistula site & said it wasn't all that big (the surgeon had said it was bigger) and could possibly heal OK on it's own. it's in the far left where the last molar was.

anyhow, he says no further surgery required, he'll call in a month as a further follow up (i'm to call if i see any nasal symptoms). she's on loxicom for her hip for the foreseeable future. tramadol runs out tomorrow, 3 days more anti-biotics (clindocyl). blood & kidney function tests were all OK & he said overall she was in excellent health (except for her teeth) especially at her age.

now she can look after me, i've come down with a grungy dry cough chest cold with traditional runny nose, puffy eyes, headache, etc. etc.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

Hope you are both on the mend!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.