Nightmares Are Back

Guest Jacks_Human

Guest Jacks_Human

When I first got Jack, he had regular nightmares-- he'd whimper/cry in his sleep, then often wake up and need to be cuddled.

After he got settled, he has been a contented sleeper (and sleeps through the night). Just the odd wriggling feet, wagging tail, or 'happy puppy dreams' (ie, sleep suckling behaviour).

The past week or so, though, the nightmares have come back, although not to the extent he originally had them. There hasn't been any change in his environment that I'm aware, so I'm baffled. Like I said, it's nowhere near the previous level, and he's a happy camper during the day (except for when he's pouting over not being allowed in the kitchen :P)

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Maybe he is crying/whimpering out of excitement in his sleep? Maybe his dreams are just more active and exciting him more? I suppose you could always just wake him up by calling his name and give him some cuddles when it happens. Even if it is a happy dream I'm sure Jack would enjoy it :colgate

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

Could be feeding of your stress levels... My two all growl snarl yip and yelp in their sleep. Along with running, twitching, and sometimes the cutest tail wagging. I just let them go. If I felt it was a bad dream where they woke up in shaking fear I would probably take them outside to divert attention, but haven't ever had to do that.

------

Jessica

Guest KPS915
Buddy does this on occasion as did Rex. Horrible dog Mom that I am I just yell "KNOCK IT OFF" he does and we all go back to sleep. There is no middle of the night cuddling here. :blush

Same in our house. Lila sometimes sleep barks - makes these muffled sniffling woofs. If she doesn't stop after a minute, we call out her name and she'll stop.

I don't think dog's have "nightmares" in the same way that humans do. Make sure your not anthropomorphizing (sic) his dreaming vocalizations from just regular dog dreaming sounds into nightmares.

My guys - Toni especially - all dream very vocally. They bark, whine, whimper, run, wag their tails, and even do a weird sort of roo-ing when their asleep. Sometimes these dreams are very active, sometimes they're less vocal. Sometimes the sound is sort of muffled and something that would sound like a regular bark or whine if she was awake, sounds smaller and pitiful. I only wake them up (by calling their name) if they might hurt themselves flailing around or are extra loud.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I once asked a vet if I should wake my (first) dog when she was having a bad dream, and her response was, "How do you know it's a bad dream?" Err....

So I'm with greysmom--I leave them alone.

ETA: I think mine would like to be cuddled when they wake up too, so I'm not sure that's a sign of a bad dream.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I once asked a vet if I should wake my (first) dog when she was having a bad dream, and her response was, "How do you know it's a bad dream?" Err....

So I'm with greysmom--I leave them alone.

ETA: I think mine would like to be cuddled when they wake up too, so I'm not sure that's a sign of a bad dream.

i always said that they(the dogs be it terrier or sight hound) were busy chasing rabbits. it's all how YOU see into it! i never cuddle, they just fall into another stage of sleep.i would advise against cuddleing since your dog may just have one of those normal greyhound reactions and snap in it's quazi sleep mode.

Edited by cleptogrey