Weird Bruising On Inner Thigh?

Guest zz00

I'm not sure if this is a bruise or not on Nelson's thigh, but it just showed up this morning. Does anyone know if it is something to be concerned about?

Thank you!

ECE7A61D.jpg

What I'd do if Nelson were mine: I'd take a Sharpie marker and outline the bruises right now. Then I'd take another photo that shows the current state of the bruise in comparison to the Sharpie outline. Then I'd watch the bruise: if it gets larger or darker, or new bruises materialize, I'd take Nelson to the ER. If Nelson's behavior seemed at all off--any vomiting or diarrhea or fever or swelling in his legs--I'd get him to the ER. (And I'd be checking my finances and shuffling money back and forth or calling a credit card company to increase my credit line--just in case I needed to front an ER some money. I could always put the money back where it belonged later. And I'd arrange my schedule so I could keep an eye on Nelson.)

This is me in controlled panic mode. (Note that I didn't tell you to haul him to the ER right now? That's the "controlled" bit.)

But I lost a girl last year to idiopathic immune mediated thrombocytopenia. In the last month, three Greytalkers have lost dogs to ailments that featured unexplained bruising. (One case was immune mediated hemolytic anemia triggered by lymphoma. The other two cases are still unexplained--as in the case of my lost baby. We know my dog had IMT, we just don't know what triggered it.)

That's the "panic" bit.

I would like--just once in this holiday season--to see a sick greyhound get well. And keep in mind that it is the holiday season. Many vet's offices will be taking extra time off. Please keep us informed.

P.S. Please don't give Nelson any meds that he doesn't usually take on a daily basis. If you think he's in any pain, take him to the vet, but don't medicate him yourself. Too many drugs have a washout period, where the dog has to wait (sometimes for days) before new meds can be started.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Looks like a bruise to me and I agree with out-lining it so you'll know if it gets bigger.

Keep a close eye on it ....and do let us know how Nelson's doing.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Thanks guys, We called the vet and he is going to look at it in the morning, but I did outline it, and we will be going to the ER if anything starts looking funny. He's his normal goofy self, so if he wasn't, I would be panicked for sure. Thanks again, and I will update.

What I'd do if Nelson were mine: I'd take a Sharpie marker and outline the bruises right now. Then I'd take another photo that shows the current state of the bruise in comparison to the Sharpie outline. Then I'd watch the bruise: if it gets larger or darker, or new bruises materialize, I'd take Nelson to the ER. If Nelson's behavior seemed at all off--any vomiting or diarrhea or fever or swelling in his legs--I'd get him to the ER. (And I'd be checking my finances and shuffling money back and forth or calling a credit card company to increase my credit line--just in case I needed to front an ER some money. I could always put the money back where it belonged later. And I'd arrange my schedule so I could keep an eye on Nelson.)

This is me in controlled panic mode. (Note that I didn't tell you to haul him to the ER right now? That's the "controlled" bit.)

But I lost a girl last year to idiopathic immune mediated thrombocytopenia. In the last month, three Greytalkers have lost dogs to ailments that featured unexplained bruising. (One case was immune mediated hemolytic anemia triggered by lymphoma. The other two cases are still unexplained--as in the case of my lost baby. We know my dog had IMT, we just don't know what triggered it.)

That's the "panic" bit.

I would like--just once in this holiday season--to see a sick greyhound get well. And keep in mind that it is the holiday season. Many vet's offices will be taking extra time off. Please keep us informed.

P.S. Please don't give Nelson any meds that he doesn't usually take on a daily basis. If you think he's in any pain, take him to the vet, but don't medicate him yourself. Too many drugs have a washout period, where the dog has to wait (sometimes for days) before new meds can be started.

^This - we just lost our girl Pugsley due to immune mediated thrombocytopenia and it started with bruising on her abdomen/thigh. Hopefully it is just a normal bruise!

Myka had some marks like that and it really was just a bruise. I'd forgotten that she'd trying to jump over the back of the couch on to the couch cushions and she kind of hung over the back of the couch for a moment, with her front on the couch cushions, while she pulled her butt and back legs over -- which is when she bruised herself. Poor baby, scared herself real good thinking she was tall enough to jump over.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

We have lost two dogs to internal bleeding, so any large bruise is scary to me. Watch it for a day or so and look for any changes or additional bruising. Good luck and keeping your boy in good thoughts.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Heed the warnings about keeping an eye on the bruise & getting help ASAP if it gets worse. They are absolutely right. However...

We have a ramp here that is open on one side. Nearly every Grey at some point, almost always in their first days here, has missed jumping onto the ramp, knocked a back leg along it. They end up with bruises on the inner thigh of their left leg that resemble those in your photo.

Don't panic or worry too much. Just be watchful. Hopefully it's just a bruise.

And I just got reminded by a post in another thread: Stop any fish oil for a while. Fish-oil often works as a blood-thinner...

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Thank you so much everyone!

This morning I woke up to check it and the color has faded a little and it is shrinking. So I'm thinking (and hoping) it was just a bruise.

Thanks so much for your concern, Nelson and I appreciate it! :colgate

Good news they are shrinking, that is what we all want to hear! Keep an eye on Nelson and we'll hope they are all gone soon.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm glad the bruise looks better.

But for your peace of mind (and the peace of mind of all the worrywarts here), I'd still keep the vet appointment this morning and get the vet to draw blood for a check. If all his cell counts are good, then there's lots less to worry about. But if the platelet count or rbc or wbc is off, then this bruise could have been an early warning.

Wanted to show you guys how it is looking. We were supposed to go to the vet this morning, but they called and canceled on us at last minute. (not very happy with that and thats why we only use this vet in a pinch, we usually go to OSU) Since it was getting better and I wasn't in panic mode anymore, I called OSU and have an appointment first thing on wednesday, I actually feel better about that because I trust them more than our local vet.

It looks much less red and the additional spots are clearing up tremendously.

904F8ED3.jpg