Panting After A Dental...normal?

Guest snoopycomehome

Guest snoopycomehome

Dragon is panting like crazy. Poor guy is completely stoned...tongue hanging out the side of his mouth and staring ahead. Gypsy seems fine, but they did hers first, so I think she's recovered.

I need to go pick up her antibiotic, but should I wait til he is back to normal?

I wouldn't leave him alone.

ETA: I don't know how long since they finished, but I wouldn't leave him until I was sure he wasn't going to have a worse reaction to whatever meds he had.

Do you know what they gave him?

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Ditto the above: do you know what sedation was used and what he was given for pain?

Did he lose any teeth?

Can you take his temperature?

Don't leave him alone.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Yep, don't leave him alone!

Keep an eye on him to make sure he's OK. It could be pain, it could be meds, it could be the anaesthetic, or a combination of them.

Check also that he isn't overheating. I think malignant hyperthermia comes on quicker than this usually, but I don't know for sure.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest snoopycomehome

They didn't write on the paperwork what the anesthetic was or if they gave him pain medication. She lost a tooth, but he didn't. They both slept for a long time, and he is clearly hurting now. :( When he followed me downstairs, he walked down slowly and gingerly...not his usual full-on 80# barrel down like a bat outta h#ll run.

He is giving me the longest, hardest stink eye I have ever seen, and then he looks down pouting. I have some soft canned food if they get hungry, but I know they aren't b/c they both turned down CHEESE!!! :eek

Don't push the food tonight if he's not interested. And don't let him gulp lots of water. Little bits of water at a time. I have one dog who gets sick as the proverbial, er, dog on anesthesia. She'll be vomiting water all night and the next day if I'm not careful.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest snoopycomehome

I couldn't stand watching them hurt. Dragon was shaking and Gypsy was trying to sleep but restless, so I gave them each a baby aspirin. I have stronger medication, but I didn't want it to interact with who knows whatever they have in their systems. I took a shower and when I came downstairs, they were up walking around acting a little more normal. I asked them if they were hungry and both of their ears perked up. :bunny

I gave them each half a can of wet mixed with rice, an egg, cottage cheese, and pumpkin. They ate it all up, and now they are sleeping quietly. :sleepy

Please, no more aspirin until you check with the vet.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest snoopycomehome

Dragon is doing much better today. He even ate just now, and seems to be back to his usual self...the roaching and begging for people-food gave it away!

Gypsy looks unhappy...she is pacing and restless. I called the vet and they were given Bup and Ace for the procedure. They said that Dragon shouldn't have been hurting yesterday, but I know when my dog is in pain! I was adamant about getting something safer for pain for Gypsy today, so they are calling in tramadol...but they seemed reluctant to do so. If it hurts humans to get their teeth deep cleaned, why do they think it would be any different for canines? I regret not getting an Rx when I was there yesterday.

It is her birthday today, so I am going to get them some ice cream when I go get her Rx. That should feel good on those poor gums! :blowcandle

Edited by snoopycomehome