Not Quite Right - Nothing Obviously Wrong

sarabz

Bella's been a little subdued for the past couple of days and has let out a couple of small yelps. She normally does hallway zoomies every time we take her out to go potty and hasn't been doing them except for once. Appetite, poo, eyes, gums, temp all normal. Nothing specific seems to hurt - I've checked her out thoroughly multiple times and she's not seeming to yelp (not close to a GSOD) when using the same limb, for example. She's not as enthusiastic about jumping on/off the bed or sofa although she's still doing it most of the time.

I'm wondering if she just maybe pulled a muscle from over-enthusiastic zoomies or something similar. She's done that before, but has shown some tenderness and sensitivity in specific areas in the past - nothing like that now.

Other info - we do live in Manhattan but she has not eaten anything off the sidewalk nor even had much interaction with other dogs.

She was at the vet about a month ago for a bordatella booster and was perfectly normal afterward. She did spend 3 days in a kennel shortly after that, but again, that was almost a month ago.

Any thoughts on other things to check? I'm hesitant to run to the vet since she showing absolutely no other symptoms except for this listlessness.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

I'd keep an eye on her; which it sounds like you are doing. Sometimes my girls don't obviously react to pain but instead get VERY still when I touch or manipulate an ouchy part. When they do that I watch that part more closely. That has helped my vet more than once because they do that with her too. Hope Bella is back to normal rightawayquick.

june

"She's not as enthusiastic about jumping on/off the bed or sofa although she's still doing it most of the time."

Might be her neck is bothering her? :dunno

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

It seems as though her left shoulder/neck may be bothering her, so I'm thinking she pulled a few muscles doing crazy zoomies. I gave her an aspirin - maybe I'll put a heating pad on low for her later and give her a gentle massage :P

I'll keep an eye on her but I think this is all it is. Hope so, anyway!

Refrain from giving anymore aspirin--it will limit the medications the vet may need to use. Too me it sounds like your girl tweaked her neck. You really should take her to the vet on Monday. She may need a course of NSAIDs or even corticosteroids with or without Tramadol. I do think wet warm compresses might help.

Oh, glad you found something that you can work on.

When Ace started acting just a little bit "off," we found out (after a month or so of doing inconclusive tests) that she has chronic lymphocytic leukemia. We're coming up on 3 years post-diagnosis and she's been in remission for 2 years of that time. :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

If she has a tweaked muscle, I think an ice pack will be more beneficial over heat. Ice will stop and reduce swelling if there is any, where as heat will cause more swelling. I made that huge mistake with my own back muscles. Slept with a heating pad thinking it would help and could not move the next day. I had made it worse!

Let your vet know about the aspirin and any other meds you may have given. Some meds (aspirin included) have wash-out periods, so there can be a delay before the dog can be given other pain meds.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

This morning's update - she is almost back to normal, much more energetic, moving around with energy, shaking almost normally (you know, the front legs flying), jumping on/off furniture.

I have to run home at lunchtime so will check on her then, and probably swing by the vet this afternoon.

thanks all!

glad to hear that bella is getting back to herself. i generally watch and do not medicate and visit my vet for something like that. i went thru osteo w/ emily and as nonchalant as i am about these drama queen's self imposed downtime i do go to the vet when mobility is limited. my vet generally watches the dog move outside to access movemement, manipulates joints(it's amazing how their limbs move)and checks out the spine all by hand. NO XRAYS, NO MRI- just good old fashioned hands on examination to start with.

i did have a sudden lameness experience w/ annie this fall- front leg, same time of the year that late emily went lame- i freaked! after 2 days of r&r she was at the vet- one week of metacam and she was back to chasing felix and doing zoomies.inflamed neck, hope it's the same prognosis for bella or just maybe it's something she carried in on her paws after a walk. they do lick and clean their paws, doggie bugs are as bad as human/ kiddie bugs. we wash our hands....our first line of defense.

best of luck, waiting to read your update.

Well, Bella's back to normal! Met me at the door earlier with bounces, whines of excitement and just general silliness. Couldn't wait to go on her walk.

We wipe her feet with baby wipes after every walk because we don't want to think about what she could pick up, track in & then lick off *shudder* so hoping that this is working and she didn't pick up a strange bug.

I guess I need to go as she just came over, put her head in my lap and shoved my arm up with her nose, meaning "PAT ME, Mom!!" :)