Osteo Thread Part Vi

Jimmy's kibble might be easier to digest if you grind it up (I do Sam's in the food processor--grinding a day's worth all at once), then mix it with something that will make it less dry (Sam gets yogurt or Ensure).

Sam also gets four small meals a day (3/4 cup per meal). I realized today that if I were feeding him 1-1/2 cup twice a day, he wouldn't be able to stay standing up long enough to eat an entire meal. By the end of his small meal, his back legs are starting to bend.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both of my girls lick their legs after peanut butter, but Fritz doesn't. And it's like it's an itch they have to scratch, it's strange. Maybe they get chills because they love PB so much?

Carrie takes pills the same way, but SO enthusiastically that she tries to take the spoon too :lol

Mine will all do this and I always thought they were cleaning off their tongues, as they will also lick other nearby objects - the stove, the bed, furniture, ME! - if they feel the need.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The swelling made Jim think it was a possible infection or a break in the bone somewhere so we rushed in. It seemed to have gotten more swollen by 9am ( vet visit was at 5 am) but has not worsened anymore and may even be receding. Has anyone experienced this?? Do you know what it could be?

Swelling/edema is a fairly common symptom of osteo progression - I don't remember what's been said about it though (I had two friends go through it with their osteo pups). I think someone here had dealt with it before, hopefully they'll chime in.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest snakes

FedX had swelling, near the "beginning" it was worse at night yet better after walks. That swelling was early on, later as the osteo progressed he got a swelling that was a lymph edema that we treated with homeopathic remedies and it responded really well. Near the end he had swelling that didn't respond as well and put pressure on the nerves or osteo site but made his leg more painfull. I actually made a sort of sock for him from childrens tights as a compression sock that helped a bit. At the end there was nothing that really helped I'm afraid.

In short, the homeopathic remedies, walking, and compression socks helped the most.

Pinky developed hypertrophic osteopathy :nod

Gentle massage seemed to make her feel a little better, along with hot & cold packs.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Lastly, even though he has a fantastic appetite (another quality of life aspect we are happy with), he has lost weight !!!! 57.5 lbs while he started at about 64/66. We have noticed the visible ribs but had no idea the weight loss was so extreme. We feed as much to him as we feed Petra and Woodie so we will offer more now and feel free to treat him. Jim has been worried that our antacid / gas x use was not allowing him to digest the nutrients. I guess both these factors are signalling that the end is coming closer. But we will do what we can to encourage weight gain and to monitor swelling.

Hugs to all the pups, all the owners, all the healthy dogs.....just everyone who wants one! :) Jimmy still lives and he has a nice week coming up....i have off today and Jim has extra time off this midweek.

You may be dealing with cachexia. It's associated with cancer and is basically when a dog (or cat) loses weight (and muscle) despite eating a normal diet. You can increase fat and protein, and also add omega oils (higher ratio of omega-3 oils, usually through something like a good quality fish oil supplement that has high levels of EPA/DPA). There's some basic information in the general diet section here, but I'm sure you can find a good bit of information if you just google it. There's one particular vet or dr who has a diet for it, but I don't agree with everything in the diet myself personally. In any event, hope that's helpful.

Who was the person who was considering chinese herbs? Was that Fawngrey? I just realized I have a nearly full bottle of Bone Stasis that I am happy to mail out. It does have an expiration date of 12/12 on it though so it's past its prime so you might want to ask your vet first whether it could be harmful or have lost its efficacy before having me mail it.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Jane, I am very sorry about Shelby. Far too many losses for you recently.

Johanna, it does sound similar to what Jen wrote. The best thing is to try and up the fat & protein as much as possible. I know we used peanut butter meatballs for Jack when he was losing weight and some Ensure and it helped him.

I am sorry to read of another pup who has joined this club, Buddy. Breaks my heart every time I read of another.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

:( :(

so sorry about Shelby and also Buddy's DX :cry1

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest yat420

Thank you so much! Buddy was my introduction to the world of greyhounds and made me the crazy greyhound mom that I am. :) I love this guy so much that this is breaking my heart! We have already lost one to osteosarcoma. We chose to amputate at that time and had a horrible experience, so we have decided not to do that with Buddy. We are scheduled for palliative radiation on Friday to see if will help with his pain. Does anyone have experience with Tomotherapy radiation? Results?

Guest FawnFan

Buddy is gorgeous. Sorry to hear of his diagnosis. And sorry don't have any experience with tomotherapy radiation.

Also sorry to hear about Shelby's diagnosis too.

:(

I thank you for all.your suggestions and input. Jimmy is on a high protein home cooked dog food right now...I loaded it with ground turkey. I will try the chopped up kibble when we feed kibble. To my eyes, he may have gained some weight but my eyes also did not notice the weight loss.

We are trying the alternating hot/ cold for the swelling. We might try an ace bandage for a supervised time instead of a compression sock. The tumor itself looks smaller so I think the soft tissue involvement moved downward. Jim thinks the muscles are giving up and sliding down as they let loose. We just theorize. Either way, it's probably a sign.that his time is winding down. But there is no use contemplating, we are so living each day for today that we never expect anything. Reminder to new readers, I just want to.state that Jimmy is a bounce that we just.fostered and adopted in January. He has not been with us his whole life. Having gone through this with Hurley, I know how acutely painful each moment is when osteo rears its head. I can only hope that our judgement of Jimmy's quality of life is not warped.

I thank you for all.your suggestions and input. Jimmy is on a high protein home cooked dog food right now...I loaded it with ground turkey. I will try the chopped up kibble when we feed kibble. To my eyes, he may have gained some weight but my eyes also did not notice the weight loss.

We are trying the alternating hot/ cold for the swelling. We might try an ace bandage for a supervised time instead of a compression sock. The tumor itself looks smaller so I think the soft tissue involvement moved downward. Jim thinks the muscles are giving up and sliding down as they let loose. We just theorize. Either way, it's probably a sign.that his time is winding down. But there is no use contemplating, we are so living each day for today that we never expect anything. Reminder to new readers, I just want to.state that Jimmy is a bounce that we just.fostered and adopted in January. He has not been with us his whole life. Having gone through this with Hurley, I know how acutely painful each moment is when osteo rears its head. I can only hope that our judgement of Jimmy's quality of life is not warped.

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

So...with Sentinel being such a great price, I was thinking of putting my pups on that this year instead of Heartguard. Has anyone with a cancer pup ever heard that a dog with cancer shouldn't have any certain type of heartworm preventative?

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Guest yat420

I think any heartworm prevention is fine.

Buddy had his CT today, no mets to the lungs yet, yay!! He is having his first radiation therapy tomorrow. Hopefully this will make him feel better, although they said that it may take several treaments. He is limping quite a bit today and wore out. :(

Guest FawnFan

Just a quick update on Gunner... he's been doing fine, eating people food and we're on a pretty decent schedule for meds. He still gives me trouble eating every once in a while - maybe like every 4th or 5th day - for the most part he's been great (thank goodness and I'm grateful and appreciative of this).

Today he is limping a little. Hasn't been limping up until this point besides the first day when we got the diagnosis. It is also raining here and has been raining since last night so I'm hoping this has something to do with it (like maybe it is aggravating his arthritis in that shoulder). I gave him an extra half of a Tramadol this morning. We're off to see the Vet this afternoon mainly so Dr. Jennifer can finally meet him and two, to get more meds as I'm running out (also will be asking for the 100mg Gabapentin and the Rx for the "emergency" pain pill they forgot to give me).

Thanks for listening. Hoping all of the other club members, both humans and hounds, are having good days and are doing as well as can be expected. Have a great weekend everyone,

Jean

Fritz has been doing well, no limping at all!

He has been picky with taking his meds and I've had to pill him a couple of times, but, he doesn't mind it.

Eating well and being his usual happy self...tonight after dinner he was tossing the yellow Angry Bird around in the yard, having a good time.

We're going to go to a meet & greet just for an hour tomorrow afternoon. As long as he is feeling well I can't deprive him of doing what he loves the most.

It's because he can smell the tramadol. <_<

If I can be sneakier about it, we'll be okay :lol

Kristin, how does he feel about tuna? Because a dab of tuna would hide the smell of the tramadol. The only danger is that he'll think it smells so good he'll want to bite of it.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

See...and that's the issue. He chews EVERYTHING.

I think we'll try soft cheese or maybe liverwurst.

I have no problem just pilling him (and he does not care about it at all), but, mom's not an expert yet and never gets it back there far enough, so he spits it out.

Guest FawnFan

Glad to hear Fritz is doing well! That's awesome news!

As for pilling, I learned a technique from another gh owner that seemed to work every time with my female lung cancer pup. Instead of putting it down the middle of his throat, stick it down on one side. I would open her mouth and then stick the pill down the right side of her throat (I'm right handed) and it worked 99% of the time. There were a couple of times where she just wasn't cooperative with opening her mouth and I didn't get the pill down far enough. She too was a chew EVERYTHING kind of dog. Gunner chews thoroughly only from time to time thankfully.

We also saw the Vet yesterday afternoon too. That seemed to go well as far as timing - still an hour spent yet it didn't seem as bad this time. Also she thought he looked great. She didn't manipulate because she didn't feel it was worth causing him pain (yay - someone gets it!) She also said no lymph nodes are swollen nor could she feel anything in his shoulder. All good. We got our meds, including the 100mg of Gabapentin, and then we were off. She was very receptive to the suggestions I brought her from everyone here. Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge and caring enough to share. I'm grateful.

She did ask if anyone (on GT) has used or talked about using Tylenol 4 with codeine. Anyone? She said she thought he wasn't there yet - meaning the pain wasn't great enough for it. Yet the reason why I have it is this is my "emergency" med should a break happen. She said pill him and then get him to her asap. Can't imagine that in my head exactly... just hoping it is an Rx that NEVER gets used.

Anyway... hoping everyone else, both hounds and humans, are doing well this weekend. Have a good day,

jmb

Guest FawnFan

Should I be worried? Gunner seems to have cold feet this morning. I tried massaging them to warm them up and it doesn't seem to help. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks, Jean

She did ask if anyone (on GT) has used or talked about using Tylenol 4 with codeine. Anyone? She said she thought he wasn't there yet - meaning the pain wasn't great enough for it. Yet the reason why I have it is this is my "emergency" med should a break happen. She said pill him and then get him to her asap. Can't imagine that in my head exactly... just hoping it is an Rx that NEVER gets used.

Anyway... hoping everyone else, both hounds and humans, are doing well this weekend. Have a good day,

jmb

We had Tylenol 3 I think - it had acetaminophen and codeine, whichever one it was and tried it briefly. In retrospect, I wouldn't again unless it was a true emergency like a sudden leg break like you said. Having said that, I dont' feel like it did all that much to help Neyla's pain when we did try it on top of what she was already getting so I have a hard time envisioning it being sufficient with a break. But, maybe it's the best option, I really don't know. I know there are a couple of other people on here who have gotten meds to prep for that possibility. Maybe they can chime in on what their vet gave them. I would think you'd want to have somethign like Valium or Xanax to give alongside it. :dunno

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Jean, I am not sure what you can do for Gunner's feet. I am assuming all was okay after this?

As for an emergency leg break, our vet gave us a small amount of morphine in case it happened.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.