Update On Henry's Post-Seizure Bloodwork

The vet called today and his thyroid levels are low, which would also explain why he's gained a little bit of weight. They're sending the panel off for a thyroid confirmation to check his free T4. They're also going to screen for lyme and Ehrlichiosis. These tests take about a week to come back. This might be better or worse news than epilepsy or a brain condition- not sure yet. Anyone have experience with thyroid problems?

Rainey was a legitimate "low thyroid", confirmed by Dr. Couto himself....we didn't know until about November of 2010 (she started having seizures in August of 2010) but again, with her, she had an underlying brain issue going on that was most likely causing the seizures. Hopefully getting him on meds helps with the seizures. :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Rainey was a legitimate "low thyroid", confirmed by Dr. Couto himself....we didn't know until about November of 2010 (she started having seizures in August of 2010) but again, with her, she had an underlying brain issue going on that was most likely causing the seizures. Hopefully getting him on meds helps with the seizures. :hope

I went back through some of the hypothyroid threads, and lots of people advise to email the results to the OSU Greyhound Wellness Program and Dr. Jean Dodds of Hemopet. Do they look at the results for free?

I went back through some of the hypothyroid threads, and lots of people advise to email the results to the OSU Greyhound Wellness Program and Dr. Jean Dodds of Hemopet. Do they look at the results for free?

I honestly don't know, this was a couple years ago and I had just emailed Dr. Couto directly at the time :( maybe someone else here might know? at any rate, you could just email him and see what happens?

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

OSU has a free (for now) consult page. They are going to start charging $50 but it's still free now.

Here's the link

https://greyhound.osu.edu/consultationservice/

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I honestly don't know, this was a couple years ago and I had just emailed Dr. Couto directly at the time :( maybe someone else here might know? at any rate, you could just email him and see what happens?

Oh okay... I went to their website and there's a form you fill out and attach the documents. It's still free at OSU, but they are going to start charging $50 in the near future. I emailed Hemopet to see what their process is.

My older greyhound had seizures, then it was discovered that she had very low thyroid levels. Once started on meds she never had another seizure and was able to get off seizure meds.

One of my greyhounds was having seizures and his thyroid levels were low. Once he started the medication, his seizures stopped.Hope things work out that easily for you too.

My older greyhound had seizures, then it was discovered that she had very low thyroid levels. Once started on meds she never had another seizure and was able to get off seizure meds.

Soloxine?

Dr. dodd's does, I'm not sure about OSU since I've never had to contact them. Dr Dodd's will recommend T4, free T4, T3, free T3 and a Tsomething else for a complete 5 panel thyroid test.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

http://www.hemopet.org/files/TEST_REQ_FORMandINSTRUCTIONS.pdf Here is a link to Hemopet. There is a form to fill out and a fee for consultation.

As an FYI, I have found that I could save money on the blood work and lab tests for my animals by having my vet's office draw and prep the blood but then give it to me to mail to Hemopet for processing. There are forms and prices to do this on the web site. The results are faxed to the vet and to me with the assessment of the vets at Hemopet. Then my vet can make his own evaluation of the results.

Piper's initial seizures were so rough that he was started on Phenobarbital immediately. After he'd been on it a few weeks we got around to testing his thyroid levels adn found them to be low. Apparently taking Pb can cause low thyroid levels and I think that is what happened with Piper.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

I wouldn't recommend Hemopet. Their panel doesn't include the appropriate tests for greyhounds (fT4 by equilibrium dialysis and TSH), and their interpretations don't appear to consider other illnesses or meds on board.

If the initial bloodwork isn't sent to MSU, where you can get an endocrinologist's interpretation, I'd use OSU's Greyhound Wellness Program -- either you or your vet can consult with them.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.