Gas-X For Dogs?

CeeEs

Okay, I am used to greyhound gas, but now we have a case of make you leave the living room, wake you up in the middle of the night gas! No food changes, no stress, and no distress for the gasser. Is there anything you can give to give the humans in the room some relief????

If nothing has changed and this problem has suddenly gotten worse, I would take a fecal sample to the vet to check for worms. Worms will create paint peeling gas in a dog with no other symptoms.

If you are hearing tummy squeals at the time of the gas, a regular Gas-X is fine. Just giving a gas x to try and eliminate the smell most likely won't do anything.

I give Rocket one whenhe gets those gas squeals and in just a few minutes he will let out a huge belch. Every time it's happened though, we've treated for worms and it goes away. He usually ends up with diarrhea when the gas squeals show up - so make sure to keep an eye on output.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I'd say a vet visit is in order...I'd only use gas-x to help a temporary issue like eating too fast, etc.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Not necessarily. Especially hookworms.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Worms would make sense. He came to us with worms, but we had that treated. He is on Iverhart Plus. Wouldn't that take care of worms?

Worms can be a pita to get rid of. Typically you need to treat with multiple rounds of Panacur (or something like Drontal if it was tapeworms).

Gas-x is safe to use in dogs, but like others have said, I wouldn't use it just to give yourself a relief. I would give it if you felt the dog would actually get relief from it and in the meantime try to figure out what's going on.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I think of Gas-X as something that helps break down the gas bubble in the stomach & instestines making it easier to pass through there systems. Meaning, I don't think it will help your situation. Bean-o helps prevent gas which would seem more appropriate if the cause is food or digestion related. But if the root cause is something like parasites then of course you need to treat that for both your dog's sake & yours.