Yet Another Seizure Question

Henry had another seizure yesterday :(

He's usually only had mild grand mals in the past, but this was a partial. He was standing for the duration of it, back legs shaking, and he lost control of his bladder and peed. He's never done this before. I thought I heard that it's uncommon for dogs to have varying types of seizures. The last time he seized, it was less than a month ago. I did a little bit of reading and from what I can gather, partial seizures only affect part of the brain and are commonly attributed to brain injuries. Whereas, grand mals affect the entire braind are more often associated with epilepsy. I'm going to take him into the vet to have bloodwork and possibly an MRI. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with their dog having both types of seizures.

I have heard of a couple of cases where dogs have had more than one type of seizure. It happens in humans, I don't see why it can't happen in dogs also. I hope you can get Henry's controlled. Good thoughts for your boy.

I can tell you what my daughters neurologist told her, the more seizures she's had the more damage is caused to the brain thereby causing more seizures. It's a vicious circle so to speak. My daughters complex seizures have gone on so long without being controlled that she has so much damage that the other side of her brain is learning what the damage side does. My daughter can now use her left hand as well as her right and she has learned to write backwards. This is why she's scheduled to go through all the pretesting for brain surgery.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Are focal and grand mal diff types of seizures? If so, Thunder has had those while at the e-vet.

Sorry Henry had a seizure :grouphug

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Are focal and grand mal diff types of seizures? If so, Thunder has had those while at the e-vet.

Sorry Henry had a seizure :grouphug

Two different types of seizures Kari.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest zombrie

Interesting about what you said Judy (although I'm sorry for your daughter's condition). Manny started out only having grand mals but then progressed to having both grand mal and focal siezures, then progressed even more by having focal seizures followed by grand mals minutes later.

Sorry Henry had another seizure :( Keep us updated on the boy!

Edited by zombrie

so sorry to hear :( :( seizures suck.

Rainey had both so I don't think it's that uncommon. sending many prayers! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Rainey had both so I don't think it's that uncommon. sending many prayers! :hope :hope

Did you have to medicate Rainey? I've been avoiding it for a few years, but now I'm wondering if it might be that time.

yes. We had her on Pheno for about 10 days, it really made her whiny and had other reactions so we then put her on Keppra...then added Zonisamide...they thyroid pills, nothing worked. Finally put her on Pheno again and just dealt with all the bad things. That was the only time she went more than a few days without one -- was seizure free for about 2 months, then we tried to reduce the Zonisamide and they came back. We let her go on 3/8/11 -- she was 10.5. With her it wasn't the "regular" idiopathic epilepsy, she had something going wrong in her brain, her total personality and behavior changed (and just got worse and worse).

They generally recommend starting meds after 3 seizures.

ETA: the majority of her seizures where Tonic-Clonic (new name for Grand Mal) but she did have several partial and focals too.

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Did you have to medicate Rainey? I've been avoiding it for a few years, but now I'm wondering if it might be that time.

With her it wasn't the "regular" idiopathic epilepsy, she had something going wrong in her brain, her total personality and behavior changed (and just got worse and worse).

I read about complex partials where their personality changes. Sorry to hear you went through that. :(

Henry will be 5 in December, so I'm hoping we can narrow it down and manage it.

Just another tip- if you haven't been doing this it really helps you & the vets to keep a log of the seizures, what was happening before the seizure, & how long to come back to normal afterwards plus what you feed & any meds used. Another tip watch carefully this weekend as a full moom can make some dogs have a seizure, no idea excatly why but if it is a clear bright night Noelle is more likely to seize. Good luck.

Okay, so here's where we are after the vet appointment. They did a full blood panel and urinalysis. The urine came back normal, the results of the bloodwork should be in on Monday. There's a possibility something will show on the bloodwork (thyroid, etc.) which could explain the seizures. If not, then there a few other options to consider. I could do a consult with the neurologist at Pittsburgh Veterinary Specialty and think about having additional testing done to determine if it's epilepsy or another kind of brain issue. The vet is leaning toward epilepsy because Henry is showing no other symptoms or issues that would suggest impaired brain function. Brain tumors and encephalitis usually are accompanied by other noticeable symptoms. He's also been having the seizures off and on for several years, which wouldn't really correlate with another brain issue. Unfortunately, an MRI would be the only way to definitively rule out a tumor and testing in this area is extremely expensive. There may be a possibility that I could have him tested at a discount with University of Penn Veterinary or OSU. If I don't end up doing the neurology consult, we could take a "wait and see" approach and consider medication if/when the seizures start to get closer together. He recommended starting with phenobarbital if they would increase to 3-4 times per month. He also gave me information on Keppra. Because his seizures now are still mild (i.e. they typically last under two minutes and they are never clusters), he doesn't want to put him on meds just yet due to possible side effects. We could also try a vitamin therapy (with Vitamin A, B6, Selenium, and L-Taurine/L-Tyrosine animo acids) and see if that makes a difference. Fingers crossed for something manageable and not too serious. :goodluck

With her it wasn't the "regular" idiopathic epilepsy, she had something going wrong in her brain, her total personality and behavior changed (and just got worse and worse).

I read about complex partials where their personality changes. Sorry to hear you went through that. :(

Henry will be 5 in December, so I'm hoping we can narrow it down and manage it.

hers was definitely from something going "wrong" in her brain, being the age she was. With Henry being just 5 you have a MUCH better chance of getting this under control, being more the "regular" epilepsy, if you can call it that.

thanks for the kind words...we've been through that and osteo, both suck. But I think Rainey was harder because we kept thinking we could "fix" her. Sending more hugs to you and Henry!!! :hope :hope

ETA just saw your update after I posted. I wouldn't do an MRI, especially at his (young) age -- it's most likely just "epilepsy". If you don't choose to medicate right yet, I have read that an Atkin's type diet (high protien, low carb) has helped MANY humans with the same disease. Just a thought? I couldn't do it for Rainey as she had pancreatitis and it would have impacted that.

Edited by RaineysMom

I'm sorry to hear about Henry's seizures and hope you get some answers from your vet visit. We're going through seizures with Ava right now, it's very scary! :bighug

Edited by brindlebaby

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

Piper had grand mal seizures most of the time. He did occasionally have what I think are called focal seizures. His focal seizures involved copious drooling, lips pulled back as if snarling viciously, wild eyed look, stiffening of neck and shoulders. He also had single grand mal seizures most of the time but about once a year he'd have a round of cluster seizures...10-13 seizures over a 2-3 day period. Horrible--frightening and exhausting for both of us. Nothing that the vets said or that I read indicated that this mix of seizure types was anything out of the ordinary, such as it is, for idiopathic epilepsy.

Hugs to you and Henry.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.