Why Does He Do That? (Zoomies)

Just curious- I'll take my 7 year old male out for a long walk, so long that he's dragging by the end of it. We get back into my small fenced in yard, I take off his leash, and he proceeds to just go crazy doing zoomies for another 3-5 mins.

So much so, that it takes him a half hour to stop panting once he finally decides to stop and come in.

Is it because that even though the walk tires him out, it's a mellow kind of energy, and he needs to release energy at a higher level?

tcmud1.jpg
Jen and Topper. Missing Cole
(Kiowa True Topsy)(Cry Kohlton)

:lol what Jen said. I was thinking about that today as my 10 year old girl set to her daily zoomie fest in the bedroom. She loves to fly around with a toy and push dog beds around. It is almost always a few hours after a walk and very deliberate. She gets up from her bed and walks upstairs and just runs. I love it!

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Ha! I figured that. What's pretty funny, though, is that my newer guy, just kinda watches Topper while he's running around like crazy, and moves closer to the door so that I can let him inside. Cole is happy to just go lay down after a walk :)

tcmud1.jpg
Jen and Topper. Missing Cole
(Kiowa True Topsy)(Cry Kohlton)

Peggy does that too. We can come back home from a walk to the park and back - some 2 1/2 to 3 miles round trip and often including 3 minutes or so of free running if conditions are right. There is even a steep hill to walk back up. No matter, on coming back in the house and making preparations to get her evening bowl of food ready, she will ask to go out in the small back yard... to relax in the sun you might reasonably think. But no... it's got to be zoomies and if I interfere with the zoomies then it's crazy stop-start zoomies plus digging a hole that was filled in only the day before. This gets her panting and only causes me to wait half an hour before giving her her food.

I think she's just a cussed little 'b' who knows it winds me up. And she does have an impish side to her:

120855293.jpg

Great pic! Neither of my dogs really get tired from walks and I'm not convinced they enjoy them either. Zola, especially, will drag on them, so much that you'd think she's tired. Till you get home and she does the zoomies too. I attribute it to boredom. Walks are for business: sniffing the news, pee-mailing, etc. Zoomies are playtime!

Missing Zola, my hero and my heart; and Brin, my baby dog, my wisp of love.

Guest karilynn

My guy does the same thing. I take him to a dog park where you have to walk at least a mile of trails before you get to a wide open area and he's dragging behind me not even a half mile in, but when we get to the wide open area, he's doing zoomies for a good 5 minutes like a crazy man. He just loves it! And it's fun for me to watch. Everyone in the dog park will stop what they're doing and watch him, just fascinated.

Guest greytbig

My little Micki is already doing zoomies at 3 1/2 months old. She runs into the dining room, turns around, and runs back into the living room at FULL force. (three legged force is pretty fast, too) She then leaps into the air and her whole body hits the back of the couch and bounces off it. This is the problem.......this is the same couch that Fred jumped over right before he crashed through the grandfather clock last year!!! She is within inches of doing the same, as she is getting bigger and hits the back of the couch a little higher up every few days. I said to Dennis, just this evening, "This weekend we need to rearrange the living room, before we have another "incident" involving a Greyhound and a grandfather clock!" The folks at our vet clinic would not believe it!! If you don't know the story of Fred and the clock, I just posted it yesterday under Everything Else GH, "I will win the lottery.....". It is worth reading and is the honest account of how it happened, as unbelievable as it sounds. It made him famous at our vet clinic. Not exactly the kind of notoriety one would choose, but "oh well".

Guest SealDogMermaid

Ha! I figured that. What's pretty funny, though, is that my newer guy, just kinda watches Topper while he's running around like crazy, and moves closer to the door so that I can let him inside. Cole is happy to just go lay down after a walk :)

Haha ours are similar - our 9 y/o male loves his zoomies no matter what, but our 6 y/o female couldnt really be bothered with it. She will do a short burst where she dashes forward (seems like her back end is faster than the front haha) then pauses, then dashes forward again. She may do that three times in a row max but then she is done. Especially after a long walk - forget it! She's taking a nap right in the middle of a dirt pile in the sun!

My one girl loves to do it w/a stuffie and when she is really excited, its her way of getting my attention or cuz she wants to get her built up energy/anxiety out so she can rest and sleep another 4 hrs. Its soo much fun to watch them and their personality and then to see them just crash when they are done cuz it too all their energy to do that task! Also just love it, not, when she does it after she eats! But she is happy!

Edited by gr8kids

Kathy, Bo (SK's Bozo), and Angels Storm (Greys Big Storm), Grace (Rise to Glory) and Sky(Greys Sky Dove),

My dog believes I go to work for their food and treats.