Bolted While Leashed; Choked Himself Silly

Guest driser

Took our GH out to do his business one last time tonight, as we always do, only when he was done relieving himself, he was so excited that he BOLTED as I was tying his poop bag so I was unprepared to lunge in his direction to break the impact of him coming to the end of his leash. He came to the end of his leash so hard that he nearly bounced back to me and of course choked himself silly. FREAKED me out. I felt his throat when we returned and don't feel anything nor are there any marks and he eagerly wolfed down his probiotic "treat" as usual and had finished it off with a drink of water, as usual. So, he's acting ok, but I'm a wreck at seeing that happen to him. That had to have hurt. :(

Has anyone else had this happen?

Guest Scouts_mom

My Henry bolted once when he was scared on his evening walk. I went face first into the pavement. My glasses broke, my face was scrapped, and my shoulder hurt for days, BUT I held onto his leash! I didn't think to examine his neck. I'm glad both you and your pup are okay.

My Henry bolted once when he was scared on his evening walk. I went face first into the pavement. My glasses broke, my face was scrapped, and my shoulder hurt for days, BUT I held onto his leash! I didn't think to examine his neck. I'm glad both you and your pup are okay.

I'm glad YOU didn't break anything besides glasses. And I hope he is ok. He seems fine ... he's entirely passed out on his bed whilst my husband I finish some work on our computers. :)

My first grey, a 80lb male, used to do a "poop dance" after he was done. Up in the air, twirling and hopping. I just made sure I watched him closely after he pooped, held on to the leash until he was done. I taught him to wait until I picked up the poop and tied the bag. Then he got a treat.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

Scarey. It's unlikely this happened to your boy BUT I had a pup who had a torn salivary gland. The only thing I can think that might have cause this is exactly what you explained when he saw a cat. The gland tore on the inside so it wasn't obvious but it was blocking a third a his airway. He would have weird bouts of strange breathing and snoring that would come and go. Even with a video the vets couldn't figure out what was going on with him. It wasn't until he was put under to remove an epulis from his mouth that they discovered it when they tried to Insert the tube and his airway was blocked otherwise, not sure how we would have ever known. The vets said torn salivary glands are rare so like I said, it's unlikely but thought I would share because with my guy I never connected the incident with his breathing problems and we went through months of trying to figure out what was going on with him. Just tuck it in the back of mind. I'm glad everyone is safe.

Minerva does this every day after her morning poo :P I have learned to just hold her leash short when she squats. Sometimes I do a little run with her after she goes! It's so cute when they get all excited like that

It happened to me 2 times after adopting Annie B. in July 2011. Both times I was inexperienced at watching for signs of bolting and being prepared for the strength she has. Both times I went down, once in snow, which is what made her bolt because she loves snow. Neither time did she get away from me. Even old owners can learn new tricks, and I am now aware of what might set her off and I know her strength. Little runs are cute but bolting with their speed and weight pulling on the arm is scary.

Guest Gillybear

Gill did the same thing one night. He was excited about taking care of business and turned to bolt toward the house. Unfortunately, he ran straight into me! Holy smokes do these dogs have hard heads!! :). My leg was sore for awhile, but he shook it off and was fine. Though he did seem a little put out that I had gotten in his way...

Guest twoskinnydogs

Rita does a post poopie dance and has more than once tried to take off....choking herself. I call her to me when she is done and things seem to be better now lol

My only worry would be strain on the neck, but thankfully it sounds like everyone is okay.

If I had one who celebrated every time he/she pooped on a walk, I think I might consider a harness. Mine get wild in the yard sometimes after a good poop, but thankfully none of them has been too excited while on the other end of a leash :lol

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

A woman in our group had a grey that would bolt. Her dog actually managed to fracture a vertebrae in her neck (the dog, not the owner). I met her shortly after adopting Dante and was freaked enough (he was my first dog ever), that I put him in a harness. He would bolt when things startled him.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

And this is why we don't use flexi leashes-zero to mach 5 in two strides. Glad he's ok.

We don't use or own a flexi leash.

Gill did the same thing one night. He was excited about taking care of business and turned to bolt toward the house. Unfortunately, he ran straight into me! Holy smokes do these dogs have hard heads!! :). My leg was sore for awhile, but he shook it off and was fine. Though he did seem a little put out that I had gotten in his way...

Oh I could send you a picture of a friend of ours whose black lab ran smack into him as he was picking down to pick up her poop. The 12 stitches was more than enough proof of just how HARD their heads are. That's one thing I already learned, always be aware of where the dog is at and what he's doing before I bend down to pick up poop! :)

My guy was totally himself today so I think it scared me way more than hurt him.

A woman in our group had a grey that would bolt. Her dog actually managed to fracture a vertebrae in her neck (the dog, not the owner). I met her shortly after adopting Dante and was freaked enough (he was my first dog ever), that I put him in a harness. He would bolt when things startled him.

I assume I would know if he injured himself. He was totally fine this morning and has shown no signs today of being injured. He's his usual goofy self and I'm now more "ready for anything" when we go out to do his business. :)

Solution: watch close and leave no slack in the leash. When the dog begins to move just keep an even tension on the leash. If they really take off they will be directed laterally and forces on the collar will never get to high. My 90 lb boy has a rather dramatic post poop routine. I wait till he's done before cleaning up.

Slim regularly would take off trying to attack somebody or something (really)-people or squirrels were the same to him- and sometimes it would jerk me completely off my feet and he would pull me across the ground a piece. He did ultimately have neck issues but if this is what caused it then it was because he did it so often with so much force and I was ignorant at the time of the importance of a wide collar or harness instead of a narrow collar.