N S A I D Substitutes

greysmom

Hi everyone!

With the vanishing of Derramax, and my own need for a cheaper alternative to Rimadyl, I was wondering what other options are out there for nsaids? I'm thinking prescription, not alternative therapies like supplements.

I've got two dog taking Rimadyl, two 75mg chewables per day. A 180 tablet supply (or 45 days for both dogs) cost me almost $300!! at my vet. It doesn't appear to be available from Costco where I get other canine rxs from for a good pric. Though other local pharmacies seem to carry it, their prices aren't online.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Have you checked places like 1-800 Pet Meds? After George tries out Rimadyl, his vet has already said to have them send her an RX request as she already knows they're cheaper than the vet clinic.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Check Target to see if they have a pharmacy near you that carries vet meds. Rimadyl is listed (but it's not one of their $4 generics). I don't know what dosage they carry, but it's worth checking out.

(My 65-pound boy takes Meloxicam. He gets half of a 7.5mg pill once a day.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

We are using Metacam from Drs. Foster & Smith, and it seems to be working better than Deramaxx that we previously used.

I've wondered if/when Deramaxx becomes available, how many users who had to find alternatives will go back to using it.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest OPointyDog

Zoe was prescribed Previcox when Rimadyl disagreed with her stomach. It's shockingly expensive, though! More than $3 per pill at the vet. Maybe you can find it cheaper. Fortunately she hasn't really needed it!

We use carprofen otherwise known as Novox here. Not as expensive as derramax but only available through vets/pet med websites.

Edited by snakes