Raised Bowls

Guest Alysmom

Guest Alysmom

Hi Everyone --

In waiting for my potential new pup, I've been doing a lot of reading and second guessing everything I've done before. Homer never had bloat or any problems like that. I have read recently that it is recommended that you have a raised bowl for preventing bloat. Now today, I got an article written by a veterinarian for Smartpak that the incidents of bloat are actually increased by using a raised bowl.

I was going to go and purchase one for the new pup, but now I am not so sure. I am interested in input on this.

The other things I am contimplating are - a backseat liner for my Volvo (I asked about this before - still haven't found one...there are several on Ebay), a car seatbelt harness, and a baby gate with a walk-thru feature. The gate i have has to be tensioned in and out of the doorway for people to walk thru...a real pain!!! I am also interested in what you all use for chew toys since this girlie is only 14 months old. Kongs I know...I was told the nylabones are too hard and can break teeth...any other suggestions?

I just want to do this really right. I feel like I did everything I could for Homer and nothing I did or didnt do caused his lung cancer.... I just want to do everything I can to help this one live as long as she can!!! I miss Homer so....every day I have my crying time (still)....its been 6 weeks...

I am biting my nails waiting to hear how "cat college" is going for the new girl....I think about her every day, hopefully I'll hear soon that she is doing it all great.... :)

Edited by Alysmom

Lots of theories on bloat for sure. I use raised feed and water bowls for my hounds and have right from the get go. I have always used them, even before hounds. To me it just looks more comfortable for a tall dog to eat from a raised platform rather than the floor. I have never had a problem. My personal belief is that bloat is more genetic than anything else.

My dog cars are an SUV and a minivan. No experience with back seat liners.

Toys. Only two out of seven have played with toys. Both males and both preferred large soft stuffies.

Guest IrskasMom

Julie , I am soo excited with you. I know you are not replacing Homer, you are helping another Hound to have a great Life . I do have a raised Feeder and IMHO it realy has not much to do with Bloat . To run before Dinner and immediatly after are crucial Times .

My Morty was never Cat Tested , but he walked in and when the Kitty took of , he thought he had to run after him , then it became a chase. Morty knows , Kitty belongs to the House and that is it . They ignore each other.. Beware of the Outside Cats ( Neighbor has 4-5 maybe more ) , Morty goes wild up and down the Fence.

I am keeping all my Fingers crossed , you hear the good News soon.

Any Stuffy that squeeks is good for my Boy . My SUV has two Layers of Blankets and an old Comforter in it.

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest Celestrina

If it squeaks my girl is happy. Our gates are from Petsmart called "Top Paw Extra Tall Pet Gate". It's secure and has a little door at the bottom if you have a cat. We use a raised feeder; I think if we didn't she wouldn't know what to do.

I have this car seat cover - http://www.hunterk9....product/DLX2500 This site has a lot of them. I found the most important feature to be an "anchor" that goes between the back and seat. It holds the hammock in place. I also like a non-slippery fabric like fleece.

Edited by Jerilyn
Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Guest lanielovesgreys

We use raised feeders. My second boy, Sol, used to shake if he had to eat from a bowl on the floor. I think it's an unnecessary strain.

I use a raised feeder/water bowl and the absolutely best on is a "Neater Feeder". The cheapest place to buy one is on EBay and I just got my second one for about $45.00 (no shipping). It ends putting towels under the bowls and cleaning the walls!

My male Da Vid (when he is well) loves stuffies. I buy them at Good Will or garage sales. No buttons or other things he can rip off. Also, I do not buy the ones with 10,000 little beads in them.

I have a baby gate, but don't have to use it much. Congradulations!

Oh, forgot to say..I have a SUV (Sportage) and I use a large bed from Virginia Peak. I put the back seats down so they have a good bit of room. One of the best things I have bought was a divider that I put between the front seat and them. It keeps them from helping me drive.

Guest Alysmom

Thanks for the input on the bowls, backseat liners, etc. I think I will get a raised bowl, because of all your comments and that is what the adoption group recommends as well. I really liked the seat liner with fleece on it (no skid that way). Also, on the baby gate, I saw one with the cat walk-thru on Ebay - I will double check the brand. I am going to Petsmart tomorrow.

Any advice on carpet cleaner?? Homer was an angel - he never once made a mess in the house.... with a 14 month old, I guess I better have some on hand that does stains and odors too.... Any other ideas I am forgetting????

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it!!! :)

Julie

Guest DylanGospel

Belly bands for males and taking them out every two hours at first (then four) help with the initial housebreaking. It shouldn't be a problem after a few days to a week of this. A solution of Oxyclean is good in cleaning up carpet messes, but if you can avoid the first ones...it's even better.

I also used raised feeder, but after losing all of our bowls, coats, toys, etc. in last September's flood, I ended up with three plant stands and three ceramic bowls (bought these at Walmart). These were cheaper, more attractive and serve the same purpose.

Your initial investment in all of this stuff is pretty high, but the return is priceless. Oh, if you don't have a fenced in area, I highly recommend one if at all possible...very convenient in the winter or in the middle of the night.

Enjoy your new dog!!! :paw :-)

Guest undergreysspell

I use a raised feeder, no problems.Nice plastic one at amazon was cheap(Suncast elevated feeding bowls for large dogs $21.54) and holds 2 stainless steel bowls. very sturdy, won't tip over and has lip to keep water from splashing onto the floor. Gracie is a real splasher when she drinks. I think a bowl on the floor would be awkward.

Only toys Gracie likes are stuffies, she has quite a collection, totally ignores anything not soft that she can throw into the air.

Was forced to buy a minivan for dog crate..but now I LOVE it..call it the dogmobile...so don't have to worry about car cover. My husband uses an old blanket in the backseat of his truck..easy to pull out and wash.

Haven't had to use a carpet cleaner yet, but I have a big Hoover that works really well, about the size of a vacuum cleaner.

Good luck and congrats on getting a new dog.

Bought walk thru baby gate...it works well except there is a bar across the floor that you have to remember to step over or you trip...

I use a raised feeder/water bowl and the absolutely best on is a "Neater Feeder". The cheapest place to buy one is on EBay and I just got my second one for about $45.00 (no shipping). It ends putting towels under the bowls and cleaning the walls!

My male Da Vid (when he is well) loves stuffies. I buy them at Good Will or garage sales. No buttons or other things he can rip off. Also, I do not buy the ones with 10,000 little beads in them.

I have a baby gate, but don't have to use it much. Congradulations!

Mini hijack but thank you for mentioning the Neater Feeder!

I think I saw it in another thread. I have one coming today.

Guest Alysmom

Hi again -- I went and did some shopping today at Petsmart and got some great deals!!! I got a double raised bowl holder w/metal bowls on sale $27. I got the backseat liner for the car...Top Paw Reversible Quilted Hammock on sale for $48. Top Paw gate with small animal opening $76. I also bought a fresh new Kong, bitter anti-chew stuff, Natures Miracle carpet spot cleaner :( (Hope I dont need that!!!) :hehe Biscuits big enough for the Kong (grain free of course), a stuffy shaped like a huge multi-colored jack. I also went wayyy out on a limb and made a tag for her in the machine. I sent an email to the adoption group today because I guess I am anxious to hear how the little "student" is doing at cat college.... I am making the assumption she is passing.... :flip This all to go with the leash, harness, collar and two other toys I already bought.... Okay, time to stop buying now before I am broke.....I spent my birthday money.... :balloonparty Do you have a setting for "hound crazy"??? I think I am it.... Still sad missing my boy (forever).... but just a little excited about the new girl....

Julie

Guest DylanGospel

I think that you have already found the "hound crazy" setting as have the rest of us here! :welcome2

BTW, we have one of those giant jacks, too, and our Officer Zak insists on carrying it with him all over town...it's pretty funny...

DH and I just had this conversation with what we're doing with a different dog (I can't bring myself to say new dog). I think at their height, the greys look more comfortable with a raised feeder, and since the research is mixed on their link to bloat, we'll be going with a raised feeder. Please know you did nothing to cause Homer's cancer, and you could have done nothing to prevent it. But I'm sure you know that just as I do and keep questioning anyway. I hope your "different dog" brings you peace.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest DMBFiredancer

Hi again -- I went and did some shopping today at Petsmart and got some great deals!!! I got a double raised bowl holder w/metal bowls on sale $27. I got the backseat liner for the car...Top Paw Reversible Quilted Hammock on sale for $48. Top Paw gate with small animal opening $76. I also bought a fresh new Kong, bitter anti-chew stuff, Natures Miracle carpet spot cleaner :( (Hope I dont need that!!!) :hehe Biscuits big enough for the Kong (grain free of course), a stuffy shaped like a huge multi-colored jack. I also went wayyy out on a limb and made a tag for her in the machine. I sent an email to the adoption group today because I guess I am anxious to hear how the little "student" is doing at cat college.... I am making the assumption she is passing.... :flip This all to go with the leash, harness, collar and two other toys I already bought.... Okay, time to stop buying now before I am broke.....I spent my birthday money.... :balloonparty Do you have a setting for "hound crazy"??? I think I am it.... Still sad missing my boy (forever).... but just a little excited about the new girl....

Julie

That's so greyt!!!! i am not adopting until Dec but my Amazon.com wishlist is overflowing! I am going to order a bunch before added CA sales tax kicks in (in a few weeks.)

So excited for you and your new future addition!!! :)

Congratulations on your future addition! You are so excited that you are making me smile!

Raised feeders -- yup, we use one. I find using on-the-floor bowls looks like a giraffe on a nature show, struggling to drink water. I don't feed Summer for an hour before or after exercise and restrict her water during those times. I don't let her roach right after eating, either. Strangely enough, she very rarely tries to for at least an hour anyway.

Toys -- squeaky stuffies are the preferred toy here. For outside, her preferred toy is a Kong Wubba and sometimes a rubber chicken. For real exercise on her own, she adores her lure pole as well as a Chuck-It with a whistling ball. Of course, nothing beats other greyhounds and we're so lucky to have a large local playgroup.

Seat cover -- I have one on the back row seat of my minivan which we bought at PetSmart. Nothing special. But she's not allowed on that seat, it's solely to protect the seat from flying hair or an accidental muddy foot. She travels in the stowed-away middle row, reclining in solitary splendor on a double-size featherbed topper with a pair of queen sized pillows, all in a co-ordinating duvet cover and sham set. Sigh.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Alysmom

DH and I just had this conversation with what we're doing with a different dog (I can't bring myself to say new dog). I think at their height, the greys look more comfortable with a raised feeder, and since the research is mixed on their link to bloat, we'll be going with a raised feeder. Please know you did nothing to cause Homer's cancer, and you could have done nothing to prevent it. But I'm sure you know that just as I do and keep questioning anyway. I hope your "different dog" brings you peace.

It is a hard decision as to what to do. I found for myself, it has given me peace to be around hounds and I have felt that if my Homer would have known he couldn't come back, he would have wanted me to provide a home for another. There are so many out there that need loving homes (all breeds!). We have a Rottweiler breeder that lives behind us that breeds scads of dogs every year.... makes me so sad. Our "humane" society here is not a non-kill shelter. Many, many Rottweilers and Pit Bulls (the majority) are those who end up in the shelters, yet this breeder behind me keeps cranking out litter after litter.... so many need to be "rescued"!!! And sadly, as I talk to people in general, people like us (here on this forum) that are truly animal lovers who deeply care for their pets, are a minority in society. This is such a "disposable" society...shelters are testimony to that. I think of it as a tribute to those that we have lost that we bravely and boldly step forward - knowing that we are putting our hearts out there - to help another to have a loving home. I am a couple weeks ahead of you in the grief process (Homer passed July 20). Two weeks ago, I couldn't firmly say when I would be getting another dog. It is definately a process, I still cry missing my boy every day. I don't see that really ending when this girl (or another) comes into our home. Homer will always be Homer and no one can ever take his place (I still talk to him like he is here...crazy?? Maybe, but it gives me some comfort...) It is hard.... I guess I am looking to not only help a hound to have a home, but to heal my heart as well. I believe I will see Homer again one day... All the best to you as well....

Congratulations on your future addition! You are so excited that you are making me smile!

Raised feeders -- yup, we use one. I find using on-the-floor bowls looks like a giraffe on a nature show, struggling to drink water. I don't feed Summer for an hour before or after exercise and restrict her water during those times. I don't let her roach right after eating, either. Strangely enough, she very rarely tries to for at least an hour anyway.

Toys -- squeaky stuffies are the preferred toy here. For outside, her preferred toy is a Kong Wubba and sometimes a rubber chicken. For real exercise on her own, she adores her lure pole as well as a Chuck-It with a whistling ball. Of course, nothing beats other greyhounds and we're so lucky to have a large local playgroup.

Seat cover -- I have one on the back row seat of my minivan which we bought at PetSmart. Nothing special. But she's not allowed on that seat, it's solely to protect the seat from flying hair or an accidental muddy foot. She travels in the stowed-away middle row, reclining in solitary splendor on a double-size featherbed topper with a pair of queen sized pillows, all in a co-ordinating duvet cover and sham set. Sigh.

Sounds like a rough life..... who needs to travel coach when first class comes with a coordinating set of linens???? :)

I'm thinking about getting a raised feeder for Eli, but I haven't yet. I asked the woman who processed my adoption at the rescue and she said "Raised or not raised, doesn't seem to matter." So... I don't know.

Squeaky stuffies, oddly enough, terrify Eli. He has one that he runs over to when I squeak it, but when when he chews it and squeaks it, he runs away. :lol His favorites seem to be toys without squeakies and tennis balls. He'll just lay there and gnaw on a tennis ball without actually pulling the "fur" off it. I was thinking of getting him a nylabone, since he seems to like chewing stuff - are these really bad for grey-teeth?

My one and only car is a Volvo XC, so it's very dog-friendly. That was the only "requirement" I gave my parents when they started looking for my first car - I said as long as it can transport a dog, I'll be thrilled with whatever they find that's cheap! Good car, too.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Guest Alysmom

I'm thinking about getting a raised feeder for Eli, but I haven't yet. I asked the woman who processed my adoption at the rescue and she said "Raised or not raised, doesn't seem to matter." So... I don't know.

Squeaky stuffies, oddly enough, terrify Eli. He has one that he runs over to when I squeak it, but when when he chews it and squeaks it, he runs away. :lol His favorites seem to be toys without squeakies and tennis balls. He'll just lay there and gnaw on a tennis ball without actually pulling the "fur" off it. I was thinking of getting him a nylabone, since he seems to like chewing stuff - are these really bad for grey-teeth?

My one and only car is a Volvo XC, so it's very dog-friendly. That was the only "requirement" I gave my parents when they started looking for my first car - I said as long as it can transport a dog, I'll be thrilled with whatever they find that's cheap! Good car, too.

I have been told that they can break their teeth on the new Nylabones because they are so hard. Both my vet and the adoption lady from the GPA group have both told me this. The old Nylabones that were soft enabled them to consume the plastic, so they went with a harder material. Hounds tend to not have the strongest teeth, and other breeds (according to my vet) break teeth on Nylabones as well. The adoption lady said to go to the grocery store and ask the butcher for a knuckle bone. Boil it and let it cool and give it to the hound. I've done this before, they love it - but be warned, it is messy. Greasy in the house and outside they get dirt all over it and end up ingesting some dirt.... but all in all, much safer than a hard plastic bone....

Hi again, this is getting so exciting for you! I so hope your little girl is catsafe. My experience- adopting a 20 month old schooling dropout (Jamey)- he was very cat safe, no interest in my cats at all.

We use raised feeders for everyone.

Back seat liners- can't help with that we have a SUV with the back seats folded down.

Toys. We have 2.5 year old Galgo Lucas that we just adopted, and this little boy loves, loves to play. He has the usual squeaky stuffies (loves the sceaming monkey!), he likes to chew on elk antlers, but the Wubba is his favorite toy- we have it outside in the yard because he goes so crazy with it. Look forward to hearing news about your new little girl.

pPETS-6530693t300x300.jpg

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

• 2 weeks later...

"Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love...they depart to teach us about loss. a new dog never replaces and an old dog, it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs, your heart is very big!"

Read this today...to allysmom...I know how you feel as many others do here too. It is so hard to say goodbye, but not so hard to fall in love with another dog!! I hesitated to adopt after losing two dogs this past spring. I am now the proud mom of another grey who is a silly, quirky, loving little girl!! Best wishes!

o5cdZ.jpg"]http://o5cdZ.jpg[/url]

Bobby's legs were shaking as he ate from a bowl on the ground so I got my husband to weld up a stand to place his bowl in and haven't had the problem since

with it on the ground he looked like a giraffe trying to eat