Raised Bowls

Guest Alysmom

Guest poofmagk

Never purchased a raised feeder due to so many differing opinions/recommendations. Our dogs have adapted to this in weird ways. Both eat in a reclining position, Zafira often dumps her food out of her bowl into her crate before she eats, Oliver takes his food piece by piece out of his bowl before he chews it.

Guest BlingDogs

I keep Do's bowls on laundry soap buckets. They are perfect for storing food and are just her height- about 17" tall. Cheap and not too unsightly!

Whenever she eats off bowls on the floor, she ends up hacking it back up and eating it again. So raised feeders it is.

Considering the credible studies I have seen it indicates that if anything the chances of bloat are INCREASED with raised feeders. I won't use them unless I have to due to a medical issue. The vet had me feeding my beloved soulmate Slim out of a raised feeder due to medical/spine issues AND HE DIED OF BLOAT/GDV AT 6 years old. So why take the chance? When you think about it do you really think you can improve on mother nature? If nature intends for them to eat with their heads down then thats probably whats best. With horses it is not uncommon at all to encounter various problems-everything from eye irritation form falling chafe to coughing/inflamation -if they are forced to eat with their heads up from like travelling in a trailer. Now granted the fine blooded TB's are more susceptible than a mustang but I it just seems that problems can occur when you go messin with mother nature.

On the boiled bone -- knuckle bone only (huge hard bone) and lightly boiled to make it clean enough to put it inside the house and not wreck the carpet. My vet told me to do this years ago with my Cocker Spaniel who was a huge chewer -- chewed table legs and everything!!!

Guest Angelique

When you think about it do you really think you can improve on mother nature?

Greyhounds were not really intended by nature though, they were intended by human breeders for centuries and centuries and centuries. Do you think mother nature intended bulldogs to need c-sections?

On the same note: wolfs eat raw diets, but dogs have been with us for such a long time "nature" ceases to be an issue.

Feed what works best for each dog, do what seems to work best for each dog.

We used to feed raised, we moved last month ans since then i have been feeding on the floor. (Bad mom hasn't gotten around to finding anything yet) He does well with both, so i don't worry about it.

I have a seat cover which worked marvelously on my previous car. My new car doesn't have anywhere to loop the seat cover on, so it slides off. Now i just keep a small towel and wipe feet before letting him jump in.

So excited for you!! New houndie!! Don't forget to post pictures!!!