Hole In Between Toes

Last night I noticed Legs licking his paw & when I investigated I was shocked to see a big hole in between his toes :( I think it's been there a few days but I didn't pay enough attention to his licking since he tends to do it a lot :( :(

Anyway I cleaned it out w/ warm water, got the sand particles out w/ tweezers, flushed it w/ diluted chlorhexidine & put a ton of neosporin in it. I taped a sock to his foot when we went outside to keep any more dirt or sand from getting in. I had him sleep in bed w/ me last night so I could be sure he wouldn't lick. It looked ok today, not worse but not much better either. I soaked it w/ Epsom salt & put some more neosporin before I left for work. I'm imaging him licking it all day but not much I can do :(

Obviously if it doesn't get better or shows signs of infection I will bring him to the vet. Am I doing the right things though? I can stop at the store on my way home if there's anything else I should put on it?

This pic was right when I discovered it, before I cleaned it.

2B9A2912-EFFB-4CE8-AC26-8F4EF1AEA8F2-281-00000014C2C53DBC.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Guest Scouts_mom

Ah yes, it looks very similar to an injury my Mindy had last summer, although a little smaller. My vet stitched it, but the stitches pulled right out. So I wouldn't bother with that. I'd just continued with what you are doing, but put a child's sock over it to stop your pup from licking it. You can hold the sock up with medical tape or vet wrap.

Ah yes, it looks very similar to an injury my Mindy had last summer, although a little smaller. My vet stitched it, but the stitches pulled right out. So I wouldn't bother with that. I'd just continued with what you are doing, but put a child's sock over it to stop your pup from licking it. You can hold the sock up with medical tape or vet wrap.

Ok thank you! I did the sock thing for walks but wasn't sure if I was ok to leave on for the day since it needs air. Luckily it's a holiday here tomorrow & then the weekend so ill be able to keep a close eye on him the next few days.

I sacrificed a pair of my ladies' trouser socks for this purpose. They are tall enough to get over the next joint (for instance, over the hock), get vet wrapped and have enough to fold over the vet wrap. And it's loose enough for circulation. Try to use one with the highest cotton content you have. But you'll be fine leaving it on all day because it's not tight.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I think people who work on the racing end call those "spike wounds." Some lucky stick or claw happened to poke between toes. I actually saw mention of it in Adopting the Racing Greyhound by Cynthia Brannigan.

Aston got one and it scared the poop out of me. Looked like a slit until his toes separated and I was able to look in and see bone sheaths and small cities and things. I did soaks and Neosporin, but a few days in it started to look pretty red, at which point he got a vet visit -- vet tried to glue it shut, but it popped back open; we ended up going back to the vet a few times for checks, and finally he had to cut fresh edges and stitch it. Healed after the stitches and two rounds of antibiotics in all (which worked out, as the antibios also knocked out a UTI that poor buddy had been harboring with no successful diagnosis).

Everything I've heard and read says that soaks and keeping things clean and dry should do the trick. Poor Aston just wasn't so lucky, and now he has the nickname Onion Skin at the vet (on his third hole check, Aston banged his foot hopping into the back of my car, which tore open the skin over his hind knuckles and he proceeded to bleed all over the vet's office).

I guess what I'm trying to say is, just keep an eye on it :flip

One of our girlies had the same thing. She stepped on a really stiff weed stalk in the field during a walk, and we didn't notice until she started licking it a lot. The vet said he could stitch it, but it's a hard spot to sew, and he would need to cut the wound for clean margins first. All we did was a round or two of antibiotics, frequent epsom salt soaks to clean and debrade, a boot to keep it clean outside, and a sock indoors. The biggest concern will be infection, and a round of antibiotic will clear that worry.

Ok, thanks so much everyone! I think i will call my vet tomorrow to see if she will prescribe abx w/o me having to bring him in. Since I'm a frequent customer hopefully she will :rolleyes:

Anyway hopefully this will heal up & won't turn into a huge deal. I think I should have good wound karma after Puzzle's small bite that went on for 8 months... :goodluck

Edited by RileysLegacy

Lucy, so sorry I didn't check in sooner. Yes, that looks a lot like what Zuri had. I think you are doing the right thing - keep it super clean, and keep it wrapped or somehow covered to prevent dirt from getting in there. If you want to promote healing, my vet did a couple of things that seemed to really speed up the process. One was the cold laser therapy, which of course you would need to do at a vet's office where they do that, for a cost (it was only $85 for 3 treatments at my vet, which i think is really reasonable). She also had me apply Trypzyme directly to the wound (I LOVE Trypzyme - antibacterial and it promotes granulation) and then another ointment to the whole area (forget the name, but I got it from her - I can find it out, but not sure i fyou need a Rx or not) to promote overall healing, then I'd wrap it to keep it clean. She said it could take another 7-10 days after we finished the cold laser therapy but in at most 7 days it was totally healed. I am nearly positive a laser therapy and/or the gel she gave me facilitated that. Maybe keep them in the back of your mind if things don't progress as you'd like?

ETA: My vet likes a dilute iodine solution (strength of weak tea) for disinfecting, although Chlorhex is good too. But when we saw her, she used the iodine soak, not Chlorhex fyi.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

That is bone or tendon or something showing in the middle of the gap. I would absolutely take him in to the vet for antibiotics and not wait. With a deep wound in that area there is the danger of osteomyelitis (bone infection) developing and that is something you really really don't want. There is a particular class of antibiotics too that is needed to prevent osteomyelitis, but I forget the name.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Lucy, the stuff I was talking about is called Dermacare. And the previous post reminded me that my vet did put Zuri on a course of ABs just to be safe even though there were no signs of infection yet.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

That is bone or tendon or something showing in the middle of the gap. I would absolutely take him in to the vet for antibiotics and not wait. With a deep wound in that area there is the danger of osteomyelitis (bone infection) developing and that is something you really really don't want. There is a particular class of antibiotics too that is needed to prevent osteomyelitis, but I forget the name.

Yikes. Now I'm worried :unsure But, I'm pretty sure it's just skin, not bone or tendon.

Lucy, the stuff I was talking about is called Dermacare. And the previous post reminded me that my vet did put Zuri on a course of ABs just to be safe even though there were no signs of infection yet.

Thanks for all the info Jen. So far it's looking ok so I'm going to give it another day or two and see where it's at. Of course I will be keeping a very close eye on it and if anything concerns me I will get him right to the vet. He is at home with a sock on it for a few hours this morning so hopefully that is keeping him from licking. btw, it is a lot harder than it sounds to soak a greyhound paw :lol The only thing that Legs would tolerate is doing it while he stands but he wants to move after a couple of minutes. Will multiple times a day for just a couple minutes do anything, or should I figure out a better method?

Thanks again everyone!

I would just do it once, apply a little neosporin, and wrap it. Bandage can be changed every 2 days, maybe daily if you want to keep a closer eye on it.

How do these dogs survive years of racing? I'm off to the vet now with Wendy who has nearly torn off a toe nail. Sheesh!

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I would just do it once, apply a little neosporin, and wrap it. Bandage can be changed every 2 days, maybe daily if you want to keep a closer eye on it.

Ok. But I haven't been wrapping it, just the sock, b/c I wanted it to get air?

How do these dogs survive years of racing? I'm off to the vet now with Wendy who has nearly torn off a toe nail. Sheesh!

I was wondering the same thing! I was just telling my mom how Legs does nothing but sleep all day yet seems to get injured all the time! Wth? :lol I hope Wendy will be ok!

Yikes. Now I'm worried :unsure But, I'm pretty sure it's just skin, not bone or tendon.

That discrete little white dot in the deepest part of the hole? I really don't think that's skin. Beth had a deep ulceration in the side of the toe she injured before it was amputated, and the tips of the ruptured ligament looked just like that in the deepest part of the wound.

Edited by PrairieProf

That discrete little white dot in the deepest part of the hole? I really don't think that's skin. Beth had a deep ulceration in the side of the toe she injured before it was amputated, and the tips of the ruptured ligament looked just like that in the deepest part of the wound.

Oh, that was sand. I got it out w/ tweezers when I first saw the wound. I will look again when I get home but I'm pretty sure it isn't ligament.

Oh, that was sand. I got it out w/ tweezers when I first saw the wound. I will look again when I get home but I'm pretty sure it isn't ligament.

'

Oh OK, as long as you know. I would still really really have him on antibiotics prophylactically.

I left a message w/ a vet tech to ask about getting abx. Thanks

'

Oh OK, as long as you know. I would still really really have him on antibiotics prophylactically.

Thanks. I left a message w/ the receptionist at my vet asking if they could prescribe him abx :)

Lucy, sock should be fine if it's taped on and truly keeping it clean. I think the big concern with a wound like that is keeping it clean and it's better to keep the dirt out than let it in then try to clean it out repeatedly if that makes sense?

ETA: My vet didn't seem to be concerned about air - I know you typical are with wound care, but we kept it wrapped for a full week, and it was moist because of that Dermacare gel. :dunno

Edited by NeylasMom

That looks just like what Heisman had a few months ago, after he and Alex were rough-housing and collided. The wound looked pretty angry. I put Neosporin on it (and a sock) for a few days, trying to keep Heisman from licking it. On about the 4th or 5th day, I switched from Neopsorin to Bag Balm. It looked better in a week, and by the second week, I couldn't even see where it had been injured.

I hope it heals quickly.

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

I wouldn't stitch it, too much of a risk that you will trap dirt in. If you have trouble getting it to heal, ask your vet if she does cold laser therapy. I am telling you, that and/or the gel she gave us worked miracles as it only took a week for Zuri's hole to heal completely.

Good luck!