Shedding

I'm glad you posted this. Tasha is primarily a white grey with a few spots (her tan spots have been fading with age). Due to the unusual heat this summer, she has been shedding like crazy. She has very soft "bunny" fur and I don't think we've ever seen her shed this much in past years. We do our best to keep her brushed but just rubbing her a little seems to send the fur flying!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I groom Summer weekly (therapy dogs can't be shedding) and there is definitely more hair coming off her than there was in our previous two summers together. I just brushed her for the SECOND time this week and got another pile. I'm surprised she's not hairless!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Gillybear

Gill seems to be shedding enough fur for 10 dogs! I don't know how he's not bald, lol. I keep telling him that greyhounds don't shed, but he doesn't seem to care...

Gillybear, mine didn't get that memo either! My fawn brindle is shedding constantly; my darker brindles are shedding but nothing like the lighter girl.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Nycelle

Hillary was shedding horribly for about 2 weeks. Since she is my first, I don't know if she was blowing her kennel coat, or if it was due to the heat. All I know is that I had enough hair to start a build-a-grey workshop!

The folks at the track told me to give her 2 fish oil capsules with one melatonin pill each day, along with adding mackeral to her food. A good brushing every day & a baby oil massage (she LOVED that) and I have a sleek, beautiful coated brindle.

I'm anxious to hear from others to learn if this is an annual event or a one time deal.

Beth (also a white thick-coated grey) has basically never stopped shedding all summer. I use the Zoom Groom every day and lots of hair comes out each time.

This is my fourth summer with her and each year has been different with shedding and coat.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Annie Bella shed a lot in the spring, up until about mid-June, then the quantity stopped until last week when she started shedding again. I take her outside every day and brush her, or use my hand going with and against her hair, especially around her butt. It flies off every single day.

Our girls, Molly (red fawn) & Mae (medium brindle) are both shedding excessively this summer too. I was attributing it to our move from OH to SC a few months ago & possibly from being in & out of the air conditioning.Molly's has slacked off some, but Mae's thicker coat is still shedding LOTS--more for both of them than any other time. I'm expecting them to soon have the greyhound baldness syndrome all over their body too! ;[

Guest mirinaaronsmom

Mojo (red fawn) has been shedding constantly all summer. I thought it was some sort of reaction to his chemo treatments last winter, so I'd be glad to know it's a result of the unusually hot summer. He didn't shed like this last year. But then Miri (white with brindle) has not been shedding much and she has the thick, soft bunny fur.

Yup. Shebly is a shedding fool and I try combing out what I can and we're talking a huge amount of fur.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest greyhoundgirl1

My fawn-colored girl, Malley, has also been shedding quite badly this whole season. I recently purchased the "furminator" on Amazon for $21 and change, plus shipping charges. ( A lot cheaper than Petco etc.) It works beautifully!!

• 1 month later...

Oy, I'm so glad we're not alone with the SHEDDING. Our guy, who is white with some red brindle, is shedding, just lately, like never before (he's only 3.75 yrs old; we've had him 14 months). I just took him outside to use a Furminator on him, plus a microclothe, plus a spritz of all-natural conditioner/deodarizer with my hands to remove dampened loose hair, then a rubber mit and I swear ever after that ... fur still flying. He's soft and smells better, but looks like Pig Pen from Peanuts when he does a full body shakie-shake.

I'm a neat freak. Getting a Greyhound was so good for me! Who'd have thought there'd be a day when doggie smell (his blankets need to go to laundromat) and dog hair wouldn't send me over the moon. I often tell him, "You stink, but man you're cute!"

Maddy (white dog) sheds like crazy. Always has. Oddly enough Wingnut (black) sheds pretty heavily even though he's got a slick, shiney coat.

I could furminate an entire dog's worth of hair of Maddy every single day. It's everywhere.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

George sheds year round--yet barely has any fur! Well, he's fully covered, it's just your typical short, thin Greyhound coat. Rub his back, fur in your hand.

I have a vacuum cleaner, and I know how to use it!

I use a rubber curry (horse) comb on him, outside, as often as I remember. It never stops coming out.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck