Soft Poop.....switch Food?

Guest fluteplayer67

Guest fluteplayer67

Our grey has been here about a month. We started him on Purina One lamb & rice right away because his foster family said he did not like his other food at all and he is underweight to begin with. Not all the time, but most of the time, his poop has been real soft. It is worst when I am out walking him and I cannot begin to get it all picked up without making a further mess!! Should we try switching his food? I really hate to since he loves this food so much but I don't want his system to be upset either.

has he gone for his well visit to your vet? if not, he needs a fecal sample tested. it takes quite a while for their systems to settle after leaving the track. if anything add white rice to his food and keep him on what he was eating. slow and steady, congrats.

And if after all the tests, etc., are done and meds given, if necessary, if his poop is still soft (and I empathize because a year post-adoption, my Annie Bella still doesn't have great poo), try Iams in the Green Bag.

Here's a couple of links to discussions on Greytalk about soft poo, etc., and if you do a search on here (top right of each page) using "Green bag" or "Iams in Green" (use quotes) you'll find a lot of references here. It's something many of us think about, worry about, wonder about, try to fix, etc. After a year of some good poo but mostly mediocre poo (messy to pick up), I've added shredded beet pulp which has had a positive effect, though Annie Bella's poo still isn't bouncing! :flip

http://forum.greytal...d/#entry5293460

http://forum.greytal...hl__"green bag"

Edited by Feisty49

Just a hint from someone who also deals with soft poo quite frequently. Got this tip from another GTer. Get a big pack of uncoated paper plates. The uncoated ones

fold up nicely to stuff in a pocket. When you see the squat coming, whip out that plate & slap it down under the butt. When full, fold into poop taco, stuff in a plastic

grocery bag...easy peasy. I might look like a dork, but it saves the neighbors from squalling at me for smeary brown pudding poo in the grass. You just canNOT get

it all cleaned up.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Just a hint from someone who also deals with soft poo quite frequently. Got this tip from another GTer. Get a big pack of uncoated paper plates. The uncoated ones

fold up nicely to stuff in a pocket. When you see the squat coming, whip out that plate & slap it down under the butt. When full, fold into poop taco, stuff in a plastic

grocery bag...easy peasy. I might look like a dork, but it saves the neighbors from squalling at me for smeary brown pudding poo in the grass. You just canNOT get

it all cleaned up.

Make sure the grocery bag does not have any small holes, many do, and that can be messy.

Guest Nycelle

it all cleaned up.

That is brilliant!!!! I got caught out a few days ago in front of the building around the corner. Luckily there is a fountian right there and I was able to do a reasonable job with throw-away newspapers from the bus stop, but I was mortified.

The things you can learn!

Sorry for the thread hijack-my girl loves the lamb rice also, but it does not agree with her. Switched to the "green bag" yesterday. Things were better today. Far from "bouncy", but pickupable.

Just make sure your aim is good.....or at least take off your watch and rings, LOL

Oh - that DEFINITELY sounds like the voice of experience!!!

Our grey has been here about a month. We started him on Purina One lamb & rice right away because his foster family said he did not like his other food at all and he is underweight to begin with. Not all the time, but most of the time, his poop has been real soft. It is worst when I am out walking him and I cannot begin to get it all picked up without making a further mess!! Should we try switching his food? I really hate to since he loves this food so much but I don't want his system to be upset either.

Before I switched food - I'd definately have his poop checked at the vet's. Lots of dogs come with worms. It's NOT a big deal usually - some medication will fix it. But if your dog has worms, no food switching is going to fix that.

Also - your dog is on a new food. Sounds like you switched him cold-turkey, and that can take a while to get sorted out. I'm NOT criticizing - but a fast food change can cause issues. You may want to wait before switching again.

Add canned pumpkin to his food. A couple tablespoons. It's a fiber-rich binder. NOT NOT NOT pumpkin pie mix. If that doesn't help - if he's worm-free, I'd go half kibble, half rice with pumpkin for a week.

If that doesn't work - get back to us. I'd go bland diet then, and start over.

Just make sure your aim is good.....or at least take off your watch and rings, LOL

Before I switched food - I'd definately have his poop checked at the vet's. Lots of dogs come with worms. It's NOT a big deal usually - some medication will fix it. But if your dog has worms, no food switching is going to fix that.

Also - your dog is on a new food. Sounds like you switched him cold-turkey, and that can take a while to get sorted out. I'm NOT criticizing - but a fast food change can cause issues. You may want to wait before switching again.

Add canned pumpkin to his food. A couple tablespoons. It's a fiber-rich binder. NOT NOT NOT pumpkin pie mix. If that doesn't help - if he's worm-free, I'd go half kibble, half rice with pumpkin for a week.

If you choose to switch foods at and point - do it GRADUALLY. Mix the old and the new in decreasing quantities of the old every day for a week or 2. Until you get to all new.

If you choose to switch foods at and point - do it GRADUALLY. Mix the old and the new in decreasing quantities of the old every day for a week or 2. Until you get to all new.

I haven't tried the paper plates yet, but if I do, I will not use the really cheap ones that will bend so everything falls on my shoes.

Guest fluteplayer67

Thanks for some great tips! I had also read to take a few paper towels and set them down when the dog is pooping and then just pick them up and fold them over and throw away. I tried that today and I was back and forth, moving with the dog and I think I bothered him because very little came out and then it rolled right off the paper towel!! I hope that doesn't end up on you tube!

On a more serious note, Jett had been through a complete check up in June when he was neutered and had his dental. They did blood work too because they found out he is a carrier for babesiosis, which is a whole other topic! But if it does not get any better maybe I should take him in for a visit. I might try the pumpkin idea too. Someone else swears by giving them yogurt every day. I had tried some nonfat plain yogurt but he was not crazy for that. But above all I think I need to make any changes very slowly or just switch one thing at a time or I won't know what is causing it. He does get several jerky treats during the day, could that be a contributing factor? We have the duck jerky from Costco and I am almost certain those give him horrible gas.

Thanks for all the posts so far, I love reading the answers and getting your insights : )

Guest team_tonio

Id definitely stop the jerky until you can figure out what's causing the poo problems. My boy was the same and I went straight kibble until his poo started firming up. Now I introduce treats and extras one by one every other week or so to see any reactions... I add a tblspn of Greek yogurt to his meals which omits gas almost entirely! Also, I had luck with natural balance limited ingredient diet kibble but it seems a lot of ppl like iams green bag. Whatever you decide if you switch him over definitely switch slowly. Good luck! :)

Btw... re : the paper plate... genius! Wish I heard that before!

Guest Nycelle

I wish I'd heard about the paper plate before this...went out armed with them today. Of course, no "pudding poo". The green bag seems to be working well. Not bouncy, but solid for a change.

You guys are aewsome!

Maybe try a probiotic? The vetri probiotic chews work great for Lexie. I am such a pooper picker upper pro I just hold the plastic bag kind of flat right under the dog while she goes :catscat And Yes, I missed once in the 5 years we have had Lexie :hehe

Edited by rschultz

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest ladynliz

My dog has been with me for almost 3 months. We've had normal stool for about 3 weeks. In the beginning it was just soft, and I fed her Newman's with some pumpkin - was told it was anxiety. As the weeks continued, she seemed just plain sick, and her stool was NOT right. Initially, she tested negative for anything in her stool. After several vet bills and odd exams, they finally rechecked the stool. If you take your dog, please make sure to advocate for a stool sample before anything else. My dog tested positive for hookworm, and this is so common in racers that it's expected. She was better within days. They also switched her to Prescription i/d for food - this I am NOT crazy about and will be posting for suggestions soon. Bottom line, have a fecal sample or two done. And if they treat her for a parasite, ask that they give you two rounds of medication. It can't hurt the dog, and it ensures that ALL of the parasites are gone. I read that in the books, but my vet knew the deal, anyway. Good luck!

Guest fluteplayer67

When you give them yogurt, does it need to be plain or can it be vanilla? Should it be Greek, nonfat, etc? And then do you just mix it in with his dry food? I had just tried giving him plain nonfat yogurt by itself and that didn't go over too well. Thanks!

Guest BlingDogs

I know some people don't like to add grain to their grey's diet, but whenever Dory is stressed out (come back from vacation, etc), I add a little bit of brown rice into her food. Prevents the "how do I pick that up?" type poops ;)

Guest team_tonio

When you give them yogurt, does it need to be plain or can it be vanilla? Should it be Greek, nonfat, etc? And then do you just mix it in with his dry food? I had just tried giving him plain nonfat yogurt by itself and that didn't go over too well. Thanks!

I give plain low or no fat. Regular or Greek. I like greek bc they come in midsize containers. Perfect for the week. I add a little water to his kibble then mix in the yogurt. I swear for us it works wonders. I ran out of yogurt... ONCE. That was a rough night on the nose. Never ran out again! :lol

Guest asaccamora

Our girl had soft poop and then some puking etc for the few weeks she was with us. My guess is that she had stomach troubles even at the shelter but it was probably hard to notice with the rotations in dog walkers. It probably got aggravated when she moved as she was very nervous the first few days with her struggle on the stairs, adapting to the city and generally being in a new place. It started to get worse and she got really tired one day. An ER trip for fluids and some prescription dog food later (which apparently has no nutritional value) we started to simplify and eliminate things from her diet.

We were feeding her the same things that she was eating at the shelter before, wellness dry mixed with 1/3 cup of wellness wet food but we were adding a few things to her usual food, namely treats. Peanut butter and some chicken jerky were the suspects. We eliminated Peanut Butter but saw no difference. After that our vet mentioned that chicken jerky made in china was causing some problems. Eliminating that seemed to help a little but not a huge difference.

We were advised to try pumpkin. We started giving her 1/3 can of pumpkin mixed with her dry food instead of wet dog food and viola, she is now pooping like a champion! 1/3 can seems to be the exact amount for the right hmmm... texture.

Edited by asaccamora

Guest fluteplayer67

Just tried a spoonful of yogurt mixed in with his food and he won't eat it. Yesterday I held a spoonful up to him and he sort of licked it but was not too interested. It is nonfat plain yogurt. He is very gassy today and had a super soft poop this morning. I am not giving him any treats for a while either.

Guest team_tonio

Stinker... literally :lol

The yogurt works really well for me. If you want to 'treat' him maybe try his food in canned form. Maybe mix a little of that with yogurt. Then stuff it in a kong a freeze?

I agree to get another fecal test done. Worms grow in stages so may have been undetectable on first fecal test. Also, if hound was allowed to drink water from a creek//lake/puddle/flower pot, or other natural water source, hound could have picked up Giardia.

Unfortunately, Iams is full of "by-products", and corn, and other very undesirable food ingredients. http://www.iams.com/...ction-adult-dog

A healthier food option that is excellent for firming up many Greyhounds' stools is "California Natural". California Natural results seen in hounds (that are worm/parasite free) are:

Solid poops, much smaller poops, no gas.

Other benefits:

One example: Chicken and rice caloric value is excellent at 511 calories per cup of kibble.

Higher calories per cup means less quantity of daily intake to maintain healthy weight.

These simple ingredient foods are also good for hounds with food allergies.

Made from USA sourced ingredients (one exception: Lamb is from New Zealand).

(Ingredient sources are important because some U.S.A. pet food companies (including Iams) have experienced many recalls during recent years due to sick/dying dogs from dangerous ingredients imported from China.)

Here is an ingredient list of California Natural - example is Chicken and Rice

http://www.naturapet.com/products/1191

(I think Lamb seems to taste more flavorful to hounds.)

As others mentioned, gradual food changes are recommended.

Good luck with whatever you decide for your new hound.