Bad Spay, Incontinence, Now Prolapsed Uterus

Guest janiek

Guest janiek

Since this is so complex, I chose to do this as a list, so please bear with me and thank you for your input:

1.-My female (now age 8) was not completely spayed when I got her 5 years ago. I found this out after I got her as a "bounce". She would have a slight blood show about once a year or so and the vets I took her to advised to do nothing. Then about 3 years ago it did stop.

2.-In April of this year, I noticed that she was "leaking" urine as she laid down, or when she walked. When she would squat to pee, it was a dribble or little or even nothing at all. I put her in the cloth doggie diaper lined with human incontinence pads. I would go threw at least 4-5 pads per day (I had to purchase 4 cloth diapers because of frequency of the leakage beyond the human pad onto the cloth diaper). I am at a low point in my life financially, so I finally took her to the SPCA and that is when she was diagnosed with incontinence and given Pronin.

3.-After a month, and continued leakage, I took her to another vet.

4.-After blood work, ex rays, and recommendation to have 10 teeth removed (which I did have done), she was put back on Pronin with NO results.

5.-I discussed this with my vet and decided to put her on DES. I followed the instructions on administering this with the understanding that her blood would have to be monitored.

6.-After 3 weeks, continued use of diapers the urine leakage stopped, but not until the prolapse ocured.

7.-Took her back to the vet (another vet in the same office) and after packing it in ice to shrink it and rubbing it with sugar, I was sent home to do the same , and STOP the DES and administer Rimadyl and Clavamox until it shrank up.

8.-I called my vet the next day to give him a progress report. He told me to push it in myself. I wasn't comfortable with this and opted to take her back in for him to do this. It took myself and two other vet techs to hold her while the dr. pushed it into her physically. She was so good, didn't wince or growl or snap the whole time. As he was pushing in she was pushing back, so the vet tech had to lift up her behind while i and the other tech held her so only her front feet were on the ground. The vet got it back in (first time), shaved her backside area and told me to keep the diaper on to protect the area and continue the meds. I was elated, so was everyone else.

9.-But at the last turn out, she saw another dog being walked by a neighbor and took off running (the yard is fenced and I was there), before I could stop her. When I got her, I saw she "fell out" (8 hrs.) .

10.-The next day, back for the same treatment, this time I was told to give her 50 mg of Benadry two times a day.

11.-Went home and she "fell out" again, this time it only lasted 3 hours. Contacted the vet the next day, back for the same treatment (second time). The vet said that if after this and it doesn't and it happens again, the only option is surgery which is costly.

12.-Next day, back to the vet to be put back for the third time. Brought her home and she fell out again.

13.-As I have a huge balance due for all this (I'm a student on Welfare), I was prepared to have her put to sleep after much tears, soul searching about the quality of her life and her future with this.

14.-If I do have the surgery, there is no guarantee it will be successful, there is no guarantee that the incontinence with not come back.

15.-After speaking with the vet, he suggested to wait 1 week to see if the DES will be out of her system and to continue the ice & sugar with the hopes that things will return to normal again, continue the meds (no more vet visits to push it in like before). This way there will be no surgery and then she can be put back on the Pronin.

16.- She didn't eat dinner last night or this morning, but did take the meds that I wrap in baloney and she is drinking water

17.- Again, the same this morning-she didn't eat breakfast, but did get the meds and drinking water. She is not soiling her diaper with urine.

Just reading this, I'm sure your head is spinning. Please know that I am thinking about my girl. I want her life to be as comfy as any other pupper. Besides what I mentioned above, she is acting the same. She is wagging her tail, bouncing around on occasion (she isn't playing with her toys because I have to keep her muzzled so she won't bother her backside). I am so stressed, torn and doubting myself. In reading this, can you tell me if you have or had any experience like this? How did you handle it? What was the final outcome for your pupper? I trust this vet, and I guess I'm just looking for any other option I believe I have. I was told that saying good bye is the best choice for the quality of life for her because she will never be the same and may even experience UTI's after the surgery............Please help me. I am so torn. Any thoughts or experiences you can share with me are appreciated, thank you................

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this were my dog, I would find another vet and get another opinion. If she were to be spayed correctly, the surgeon could re-tie/position the bladder and

eliminate both problems. Your girl is in for more infections and bladder damage by dragging her insides out.

I am NOT a vet, but I would definitely get a 2nd opinion.

And yes, I do understand not having $$ to spend for major bills, but perhaps you can get this performed at a near-by vet or animal hospital that has those spay/neuter clinics for a tremendous discount.

I will read more thoroughly a little later, but you're in PA. Please consider taking her to OSU to be seen thru the greyhound program. World class vet care at reasonable prices. Hugs to you & your girl. I'll ne back....

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Please consider getting a free consult from the Ohio State Greyhound Program.

https://greyhound.osu.edu/consultationservice/consultation/index.cfm

Please contact a group that can give you some financial support also. If she needs to go up to Ohio State please ask for help from the greyhound community. There are foster homes available thru Ohio State Greyhound Program for greyhounds that are from out of town. Also a couple of greyhound groups in that area that are greyt to work with.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

I would get another opinion also.

If you feel you can't afford her care, please consider returning her to your group or ask if they can assist you. That seems better than eurhanizing her.

At the very least, I'd let the group know about the problem spay in case they are still using the vet who did it. I personally feel like its that vet's responsibility to cover these expenses.

Contact OSU and ask their advice. Good luck.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest janiek

I understand and agree with what you say here. The problem is that she was spayed before the adopting group got her from Florida years ago. When this problem first started with the spotting and I first took her as a bounce foster, the group did help with the vet costs, but since then I've moved on and am no long associated with that group and therefor I can't turn to them for help. The problem is so compound that it's hard to unravel at this point. Yes, the botched spay most likely started it, but what was the cause of the urination leakage to cause the need for the meds that caused this, I don't know.....age, genes, I don't have the answer.

On another note.............I've just got her to eat some canned food (about a third of a can) and some water. Now, that is the good news along with her going to pee outside. The bad news is that with this dry weather, she must have pricked herself down there and I noticed a small amount of blood, so I packed her in ice, then smeared her with vasoline before I put a clean pad on her. the bleeding was a small amount and since stopped. I'm almost tempted to just let her pee in her pad to prevent this again. At this point, I just don't know what to do. I even pushed it back in a bit, but it fell back out. And she was laying down. I just want to quit, but I won't.....it's just frustrating, difficult and sad all for her. Sorry for this, but thanks for the input.

I would get another opinion also.

If you feel you can't afford her care, please consider returning her to your group or ask if they can assist you. That seems better than eurhanizing her.

At the very least, I'd let the group know about the problem spay in case they are still using the vet who did it. I personally feel like its that vet's responsibility to cover these expenses.

Contact OSU and ask their advice. Good luck.

Contact OSU. At least see what they recommend. It's a free consultation. She's a young girl & deserves a chance (not saying you haven't tried).

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

First off-I'm not passing judgement but, it appears that your girl needs more medical attention than what you can provide at this time. The current treatment you are providing does not seem adequate as the condition is not improving.

My first suggestion would be to contact OSU and my second would be to surrender her to a local gh group. I'm sure there's a group that would be willing to help you.

Guest LindsaySF

I understand if you are not associated with the group you got her from, but I think you should contact some other local adoption groups for assistance. Most groups get a discount at vets, they might be able to help. I also agree with contacting OSU. You fill out the consultation form on their website, and the consult is free.

Guest janiek

Well, I appreciate all your thoughts and advice and plan on doing that on Monday. Has anyone ever had this experience with DES? Has anyone had a houndie of your own or heard of this prolapse with or without the DES? She is now eating, cut back the amount per the vet instructions and drinking water also. Now if the fireworks would stop in the evening, I could get her out for potty breaks after dark..........but all in all, we survived another day. As long as she is eating & drinking water and going out to potty, tolerating the ice and sugar and vasoline..............the world is livable.

Guest janiek

Well, I appreciate all your thoughts and advice and plan on doing that on Monday. Has anyone ever had this experience with DES? Has anyone had a houndie of your own or heard of this prolapse with or without the DES? She is now eating, cut back the amount per the vet instructions and drinking water also. Now if the fireworks would stop in the evening, I could get her out for potty breaks after dark..........but all in all, we survived another day. As long as she is eating & drinking water and going out to potty, tolerating the ice and sugar and Vaseline..............the world is livable..

Guest LittleGreys

What part of PA are you in? If you are close to me, I may be able to help, I work at a veterinary hospital. I would definitely have her spayed before I would consider euthanasia. It should not be that costly. What is the deal with the botched spay? What exactly was done, do you know? Sounds to me like she wasn't spayed at all. If she was spayed she would not have a uterus, therefore no discharge and no uterine prolapse. A spay shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars. Sounds like she is headed for a pyometra with continually pushing her uterus back in, it is going to introduce infection.

I'd get her seen as soon as possible -- tomorrow for preference, through LittleGreys, OSU, or whoever else has offered help and is close. Will keep fingers crossed!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest janiek

So, you are saying that I should look into spaying her even tho I have a certificate saying she was spayed before the group got her? Would that put a stop to all this medical situation? I agree that the continued pushing the uterus back in along with the fact that it is out is only adding to the possibility of infection along with pain for her. The vet said that he say an improvement in her tissues over the past week since the prolapse. I can put it back in, but it still just falls out......thank you for the suggestion, I will discuss this tomorrow with the vet. I appreciate your offer also. I will take it into consideration if all else fails............

What part of PA are you in? If you are close to me, I may be able to help, I work at a veterinary hospital. I would definitely have her spayed before I would consider euthanasia. It should not be that costly. What is the deal with the botched spay? What exactly was done, do you know? Sounds to me like she wasn't spayed at all. If she was spayed she would not have a uterus, therefore no discharge and no uterine prolapse. A spay shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars. Sounds like she is headed for a pyometra with continually pushing her uterus back in, it is going to introduce infection.

I just sent you a PM..........thanks.

Please contact one of the people who have offered to help (including me)

I honestly would see a different vet at this point. It's possible that she *was* spayed and what you're seeing is a vaginal prolapse rather than a uterine prolapse. Neither one should be scrubbed with anything, and either way you'd be doing more harm than good by continually pushing it back in.

Hoping you can find a quick, affordable treatment for your girl.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No body part, whatever it is & whyever it is should be falling out & needing to be pushed back in. She needs surgery of some kind. There are groups (adoption & otherwise) that will help you & your girl. Please let them.

No body part, whatever it is & whyever it is should be falling out & needing to be pushed back in. She needs surgery of some kind. There are groups (adoption & otherwise) that will help you & your girl. Please let them.

Totally agree.

I honestly would see a different vet at this point.

Totally agree.

It may be that your vet is trying to work with your financial situation, but it sounds like something surgical needs to be done. Soon. For the dogs sake as well as yours.

Kudos to you for all that you have done for her so far.

Please contact one of the people who have offered to help

Totally agree

Best of luck to you and your girl. Keep us posted.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg