Raw Turkey Necks

Turkey necks vary so much in size that it's hard to answer. I get some pieces that are about 6 inches long and a good three plus inches across, that is a meal for mine. Some are the same 6 or so inches long but only about an inch and a half across ... light meal, big snack?? I feed more or less kibble in the next meal to even stuff out. I try to give turkey necks at least twice a week, chicken feet are pretty good too, more as a snack though.

BTW, too much bone will really constipate a hound so if they start pooping rocks, back off on the turkey necks or give them some organ meat.

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014

Thanks, Charla. The ones I bought were about 12-14 inches long and very thick and large on one end. I cut this neck in half. I tried three halves on them and they had no side effects so I have ordered 30# box and will divide and freeze. But, I did ask the butcher to please cut them in half as it nearly killed me to do that. I am hoping to be able to stop the dentals.

Guest greyhound9797

Thanks, Charla. The ones I bought were about 12-14 inches long and very thick and large on one end. I cut this neck in half. I tried three halves on them and they had no side effects so I have ordered 30# box and will divide and freeze. But, I did ask the butcher to please cut them in half as it nearly killed me to do that. I am hoping to be able to stop the dentals.

Turkey necks shouldn't be fed on their own for a meal. There is way too much bone and not enough meat, probably 90% bone. I feed them when I'm feeding a boneless meat like pork loin.

Sandra in FL

I bought a 30# box of them today from the butcher. It was about $29.00 for the box. He cut them in half for me and I put them individually in the freezer. I tried to give them to the dogs raw and unfrozen, but that was not very popular. They do like them frozen.

My guys love them. Those are the same size as the ones I get from MPC. I just go ahead and let them eat the whole thing. It counts as a meal. Once a week on turkey neck Fridays. I thaw them first in hopes it will take them longer to eat it.They also love turkey hearts.

<<They do like them frozen.>>

Turkey pops. :chow

Although they may be as large in bulk as a kibble meal, since they're so bony, remember that they're not the same nutritional make-up as kibble or a balanced homemade food. I give them as an extra to an otherwise small meal.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter