Need Help Getting A Dog To Eat - Update, Post #38

When I had to syringe feed Sutra, I used mashed potatoes mixed with Ensure, but if you think that will get at her tummy, you could cut it with water or applesauce. I just bought the Bob Evans ready made mashed potatoes in the refrigerated section at first, the plain kind...something about the smell of that particular brand was appealing to him, for whatever reason.

Could also try A/D (IIRC that's pretty liquidish consistency isn't it?) mixed with something watery-ish in a syringe.

He also enjoyed cinnamon bun oatmeal (the instant kind), cottage cheese, macaroni, turkey baby food...he REALLY liked the spaghetti and meatballs baby food (IIRC it was one of those "step 2" type foods). But getting him to START eating again was the hard part...I'd try to get 10-15 cc's of mashed potato/Ensure mixture into him every 4 hours or so, more often if he seemed like he might be cooperative. Eventually we got there. He was not interested in smelly canned food or anything like that either.

Poor kiddo, hope she's feeling better soon.

I'm posting from my phone so I can't go backwards to re-read your initial post - was she tested for pancreatitis?

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

No to spaghettio's, scrambled egg, baby food of various flavors, and A/D as well as the usual suspects, just PB. I gave her a few big globs of that, then I syringe fed her some A/D and some chicken baby food, but once it was watered down enough for me to syringe it, I think it ended up only being about about a spoonful of actual food each. :( I may try one more time before bed, but I have spent about the last 2 hours working on this with her (and feeding and medicating the other dogs and cat) and am just sitting down to eat dinner. Where is the exhausted emoti? Not to mention that she's totally tired of me forcing foods on her.

The one good bit of news is that she drank a ton of water. She hadn't had as much as I would have liked last night and this morning and was a bit dehydrated when I tested her after work. Hoping all the water will help.

I like the macaroni and cheese whiz idea. My dogs LOVE cheese whiz. Come to think of it, I actually haven't tried cheese of any sort. I've got some really stinky cheddar I can try before I go buy anything else. I'll also open a can of tuna, but I highly doubt that's gonna' fly.

Kristin, she had blood work a little less than a month ago that was all clear. She went off her food about 3 days before she came to me although I didn't find that out until Friday right after she was at the vet's for a U/A recheck, and flu and lyme vaccines. The vet I took her to on Friday just did supportive stuff - fluids, cerenia injection, etc.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

This sounds weird, but sometimes, it's the DISH you use that can decide if they'll eat or not. Sutra would only eat at first if the mashed potato concoction was in a styrofoam bowl. Not a plastic or glass bowl, had to be styrofoam. Then for a while he would only eat if it was on a big Corelle plate. Then he wanted the big Corelle salad bowl. He absolutely WOULD NOT eat out of his stainless steel kibble bowl if he didn't feel well.

I think if she was mine I'd want to run a CPL now since she hasn't had bloodwork since going off her food. It took zeniquin & clavamox together for an extended period of time to calm Sutra's angry pancreas.

Any chance the vaccines she had are causing this? :dunno

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

I think if she was mine I'd want to run a CPL now since she hasn't had bloodwork since going off her food. It took zeniquin & clavamox together for an extended period of time to calm Sutra's angry pancreas.

These are my thoughts too. It's been going on for too long. When are her people coming back?

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Energy11

I have used grated Italian cheese (kind you put on speghetti), and it works for Cari.

When Max was sick with OS, AD was ALL he'd eat.

Spots Stew (expensive), makes a canned food that they will sometimes eat, too.

I know of others who have given Vanilla Ensure, to help out as well, but, I'd check with the vet on this one, first. Good Luck!

These are my thoughts too. It's been going on for too long. When are her people coming back?

I don't believe the vaccines could have caused this. But they could have affected her immune system, leaving her more susceptible to a bug. Violet had a bit of diarrhea the same day Kat's issues started so I suspect there is something going around and Kat just took it harder and we're now in this vicious non-eating cycle. In any event, I will be leaving any testing decisions up to the owners and their own vet, who knows Kat's history. They are picking them up tomorrow night right after their flight lands instead of Thursday morning so they can get her into the vet first thing Thursday.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

She just ate on her own!! :clap:yay:bounce2:confetti:clap :elephant

This morning I did 2 syringe feedings, a can of chicken baby food followed by a good spoonful or two of A/D. By the A/D feeding she seemed interested and was doing more smelling, but still couldn't get her to actually eat on her own (aside from the PB still). Figured I'd give it one more shot before the upcoming vet appt so just now I warmed up a bit of A/D and she gobbled it right down. Warmed up more and managed to get the can and a half we have left into her. She didn't want the chicken breast mixed with A/D though.

The appt is at 5:45. I'll still take her and at least get more A/D and I want the vet to decide if she needs fluids. She is a bit dehydrated imo and isn't drinking much water today so I think it's probably a good idea and will help give us that final push over the hump. Hopefully she'll go for the chicken and A/D for dinner.

:pepper :pepper

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

:yay Great news!

A/D rocks! Another can down the hatch. Decided to hold off on chicken until the morning. At this point I'm just happy she's eating.

We had mixed reviews with AD, but it was easy to syringe feed, so that worked. I think our holistic Vet had me use organic brown rice and other holistiv sounding stuff to feep Dylan. :dunno

Just one more day and she goes home. Hang in there! :bighig

A/D rocks! Another can down the hatch. Decided to hold off on chicken until the morning. At this point I'm just happy she's eating.

We had mixed reviews with AD, but it was easy to syringe feed, so that worked. I think our holistic Vet had me use organic brown rice and other holistic healthy sounding stuff to feed Dylan. :dunno

Just one more day and she goes home. Hang in there! :bighig

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Huge turn around this morning. Obvious improvement in her energy level, she even did better on our morning walk and had a nice big non-liquid (still quite soft and tarry, but it came out formed, which is the important thing!) stool. She even took treats from me on the walk! :clap

Thank you for all of the suggestions, and especially those of you who recommended the A/D. The vet did not think to recommend it, I had to ask him for it, and I honestly think without it and the syringe feedings, she would still be starving herself.

Can I ask, how old is she? Does anyone know why they do that? Stop eating out of no where?

She's at least 9, but I think she's even older than that. When I fostered her years ago, she was a return so she was already older.

I really think she got a stomach bug and it just hit her hard, possibly because her immune system was already overworked from the vaccines she received and potentially the stress of her parents going out of town (although she's never been stressed staying with us). So she didn't eat for a couple of days because she felt so sick (she had liquid diarrhea from Friday morning through Sunday evening despite anti-diarrhea meds) and by then, with no food in her stomach for days eating just didn't seem like a good idea. Hence the syringe feeding - once they get some food in their stomach, they start to get energy back and feel hungry and then will eat on their own. That's the way I've always understood it at least, although that's certainly not a medical explanation for why they don't start eating on their own. :dunno

Guest 2dogs4cats

Some things that have worked in the past for me are canned cat food, white rice with beef or chicken broth and if I get really desperate, McDonalds hamburgers..

Guest madredhare

I have been known to spring Parmesan cheese on their food too. I have a very picky eater. I have to change things up every couple of days or he will turn his nose up at it.

Great news! I have heard A/D is the nastiest stuff ever but I haven't had any myself, good to know that it really does work.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Great news! I have heard A/D is the nastiest stuff ever but I haven't had any myself, good to know that it really does work.

Ingredients are mostly various forms of liver. It has a strong smell, but didn't seem all that bad to me. Of course, I feed raw tripe routinely :puke and have cooked heart, liver, etc. for my dogs to eat, all of which smell pretty raunchy imo. :P

:yay Great news!