Good Thoughts For Carrie Please

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many good thoughts your way!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Wondering if she is dealing with a thombosis event? Intermittent lameness, shifting lameness, weak back end, lack of pain....

Maybe you can contact OSU ASAP--- if it is a clot the worse thing you can give is cortiosteroids (pred)-- they will increase blood pressure-- aspirin would be the recommended medication.

I'm sure if you run an Internet search-- G Couto, strokes in Ghs you will find a lot of hits.

Edited by tbhounds

She DOES have pain though-very strong pain response in the lumbar region.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

She's been up and out of her bed over the night, so, she CAN walk...not for very long though. She WILL NOT walk on my tile floor though...so that furthers my suspicion that she initially slipped on the floor to injure herself.

She's no better, no worse today...it's disheartening. Want to talk to Dr. Bahns tomorrow about switching to prednisone as a last resort. I'm worried about the whole thing...this just can't be it :(

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

My nephew-dog is a three-legged shi-tzu (he was born that way). He had a spinal cord issue last winter the vet put him on an NSAID saying that was now preferred over prednisone. The vet said it would take a while to work, but that the outcome was the same and the NSAID had fewer side effects.

I'm wondering if similar reasoning is why your vet chose Deramaxx over pred.

Little stinker couldn't walk for several weeks, so my nephew (the human) ordered a cart from Eddie's Wheels. Don't you know, as soon as the deposit was placed, Gizmo started walking within a day or two. Since he has three legs though, we're keeping the cart in case he needs it when he gets older.

[Edited "sh**-zu" to skirt the bleep nanny.]

Edited by DaisyDoodle

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

We decided to do Deramaxx because we were reasonably sure she'd injured her muscles in her back. No reason to jump to prednisone in that scenario. But she has only gotten worse, not better. She's been on one NSAID or another since Monday night without improvement other than the initial improvement on Tuesday/Wednesday. From there it's been downhill :(

She happily ate her breakfast this morning and is resting quietly. But anytime she knows that she needs to stand up and move, she sits there and shakes like she's terrified. :(

It does sound like more than a muscle pull, I think trying pred is worth a shot. I can't remember, did you try acupuncture? Is that a possibility where you are? When Sugar was almost 12, she started having spinal issues and almost couldn't walk (some days she could barly stand). A shot of pred got her temporary relief, and the acupuncture brought her back to about 90% mobility (with no more pred). Adequan shots also helped after she got going again. :bighug

We don't have any acupuncturists here in the area, unfortunately :( Lots of chiropractors, no acupuncturists.

There WAS a lady here in the area, but, she has a business an hour and a half away and is almost never here in town. Diane (Burpdog) checked the lists of certified acupuncturists for me and this lady was not listed on them, so that also would make me hesitate to take Carrie to her even if she WERE around enough to be able to go see her.

Guest alannamac

In the group that I adopted from, a member had a similar issue with her greyhound. They found a chiropractor who did deep muscle stimulation with some sort of electrical impulses that actually saved the dog. They just had a news video about this chiropractor. Perhaps someone in your area would be able to try the same thing.

Here's the news video:

http://www.wvec.com/video?id=151181875&sec=577832

sending many, many prayers :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

She had some successful trips outside earlier, but just now she won't move unless I pick up her hind legs and wheelbarrow her. If she really has to go to the bathroom, she'll go...otherwise she'll just stand there and slowly sink until I pick her up and bring her back inside.

I've been thinking about you both. This must be scary for both of you. I hope she can start turning things around. It must also be difficult not being able to get any specific diagnosis.

:grouphug

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Anne, please do, that'd be great.

This is so frustrating because one trip outside she's pretty good-and by pretty good I mean she walks clumsily outside, squats with me supporting her, and then gets herself back onto my screened in porch before she runs out of gas...then the next trip she'll stand up on her bed but she won't go anywhere. I've wheelbarrowed her outside, but then she just stands there and won't go to the bathroom. Then I have to carry her back inside through two different doors. It's just been a tough few days and not being able to contact our vet because they're closed at noon on Saturdays and closed on Sundays is frustrating. I've had a headache all day, and a list of unrelated things is trying my patience right now. I'm just at a breaking point and I'm just making sure that doesn't get reflected in my attitude when I'm trying to help Carrie. It's hard to be encouraging and smiley when you are terrified.

Guest SusanP

We took Simon to an accupuncturist in Washington, IA. Kind of far for you, but... Do you want me to check and see if there are any more local ones? I think our vet mentioned one a couple of years ago.

Would xrays of the spine tell you anything?

Sending get well fast thoughts to Carrie.

We have a 9:30 appointment. We may do xrays and I want to talk to her about switching to prednisone.

She's getting an X-ray right now...when Dr. Bahns squeezed her right rear toes, she didn't respond with a pain response...she did get agitated, but did not pull her foot away :(

Anxious to see what the rads say...

Guest SusanP

Cedar Rapids: www.vipsvet.net

Iowa City: Animal Clinic 319 337-2123 408 Highland Ave

I don't know anything about either of these, but I can check with my vet for you if you want me to.

Hang in there!

Edited by SusanP

Rads don't show anything of concern. We're switching to prednisone and Dr. Bahns got us an acupuncture appointment in Muscatine (a little bit closer for us than IA City, but thanks anyway, Susan and Anne!) today at 1:30.

It is clear that she is tired of laying around...she just wants to get up and go check things out! I'm hoping this helps-it will be so cruddy to have to make a quality of life decision when she's so very perky and alert. She ate her breakfast and was harrassing me for a cookie afterward :wub:

I put her up in bed with me last night-she doesn't usually do furniture, so it was different for her. But, it allowed me to keep tabs on her so she's not trying to get up while I'm sleeping.

I'm waiting at the pharmacy to pick up her meds for her right now.

The acupuncturist was wonderful - a really nice guy and so gentle with Carrie. She slept the whole way home, she was so relaxed! It's about a half an hour drive for us to get to him, but, that's okay. One of my friends goes to him too, not sure why I never thought to ask her if she knew anyone (Anne...Jennifer takes her dogs to this guy too).

We'll be seeing him Wednesday morning again for another treatment. :)

She's had one dose of prednisone thus far...hoping that the coming doses will do something for her. :hope