Restlessness And Clingy

Guest Blaze

Guest Blaze

Hi All!

I want your advise about my Hannah - She is a sweet 11 yo female that we have had for 3 or 3 1/2 years, she is always a very loving pet and somewhat clingy to begin with but her recent behaviour has changed and it is concerning me. I took her to the vet b/c her behviour has been so odd. Well, she started by expressing a short intese yell when we were walking, like maybe she'd been stung by a bee but no injury - then she's fine, no limping or anything then does it again at home, out of the blue yelpping. this happened three times in the last week, and although I know Greyhounds can be drama queens it's not usual for her to do this so I figure she's in pain and I took her to the vet. Ishould also mention that she had become very restless at night. The dr thinks maybe ear infection or arthrits so she's being treated for that but she's now turned so neededy and restless. she won't leave my side and at night she paces for hours on end. Just in and out of our bedroom right next to my side, back and forth about 10-15 feet, back and forth. You get the idea. I give her benadryl and her new pain med (rymadal) but she still is so restless and clingy. She even gets up with me in the morning (I go to work early, and she has always slept through that in the past) she hangs with me while I'm getting ready, lays on the bath mat while I'm in the shower. Even the hair dryer dosn't deter her. Do you have any idea?

Has her vision been checked ?

One of mine, nearly 13, has cataracts now in both eyes. and one eye was already somewhat impaired due to a stroke at age 8.

He insists on being by my side or at my feet.

It is worse in the evening.

He also lets out random heart wrenching cries that the vet can find no reason for.

Taking metacam now.

This sounds to me like pain. Pal, who is 13.8, has LS and when he needs a change in meds, either dosage or variety, he displays exactly the symptoms you describe: restless and clingy. Deramaxx, Tramadol, Robaxin help my boy, and we recently started Adequan injections when his car rides for acupuncture (which helped tremendously) made him too anxious. He is doing pretty well with the Adequan. I would have Hannah rechecked. Good luck with your girl.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Blaze

thank you for your quick reqplies! Yes, I think it is pain (dang it) Fiverooster- How did they dx the LS in Pal? What was his symptoms and what is the prognosis for him? I'm so sorry he has this problem. They started her on Carprofen, 25mg which she has been on for three days, and isn't really helping. Maybe she needs somehting stronger. I just wonder / worry about the source of the pain, I don't think it is the ear infection or just arthritis either.

Laur - her eyes look very clear - could it still be cateracs? They looked into her eyes with the scope but what else do they do to find cateracs?

Guest Blaze

the dr did check her back several times and pretty aggressivly with no pain reaction - the only reaction was at her ear, but when I clean it i get no goop -

We have been managing Pal's LS for the past four years and to be honest I just don't remember how we came to that dx, I'm sorry. I will say that we love our vet, The Best Vet On The Planet, she is soo grey-savvy. I know that we did xrays and an ultrasound, but what defined Pal's LS, I'm just not sure. I would definitely ask your vet about different drugs that might address Hannah's pain, I know you hate to see her like that.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

This is Dr. Suzanne Stack's test for LS: http://www.greytheal...umbosacral.html That's how ours was diagnosed by our vet.

I'll just add that our Spencer's symptoms weren't as extreme as what she describes, though they have become so over the years. (It is a progressive condition.)

This being Friday, you might want to ask her for something for pain to carry you through the weekend or whenever. Hugs to you.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Blaze

thank you for that link - very informative. Luckily my vet is open on weekends so we will go back. hopefully tonight will be more comfortable for her - poor old gal. I love her so much.

This does sound like there is pain and if there is pacing and not settling, the pain is probably pretty bad. My angel Onyx acted like this with his osteosarcoma before he was diagnosed. Since the pain seems to be pretty bad, you might want to get x-rays of the legs although, with osteo you usually get limping ....

You might also want to get an appointment to a neurologist for the LS - they will be able to check the spine to see if there is a problem there.

Once you've done everything to Insure the dog is ok, you might consider going to the dr yourself. Some dogs can smell/sense when there's something wrong with their person.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Blaze

HELLO I wanted to thak you all - Hannah is feeling better. She is sleeping more comfortably and all I can assume is that she had an ear infection and this is her way - I never had a dog that behavied this way in pain (our dalmation would scratch her ears if they were a problem) we are still watching her closely and she has a bit of a bathroom issue now, with some phobia about the back yard, but we are working through that and I think it is just b/c she is sensitive.

thank you again, love you all!!