Excessive Bruising And Swelling After Surgery

Guest LindsaySF

I wish the bruising was a little better resolved before the Amicar runs out though...

I'm guessing it just has to disappate & be re-absorbed/excreted. As long as it isn't getting worse, the amicar has done it's job.

This is correct -- you now want to be watchful that the bruising doesn't extend it's boundaries further or start to look more purple as that could indicate additional bleeding. Once you have the bruising, it could take 2 weeks to dissipate going through the stages of being less purple to more green and then finally fading.

Guest LindsaySF

Thanks everyone! :)

I'm guessing it just has to disappate & be re-absorbed/excreted. As long as it isn't getting worse, the amicar has done it's job.

Sophie's vet, and the OSU vet that replied to my email, said about the same thing. She is still very bruised but it seems the Amicar has worked, now the bruising just needs to dissipate.

I don't think it's getting any darker, just not clearing up as fast as I'd like. Her surgery was a week ago today.

Now we have a new issue. Sophie won't eat or drink water today. :( She has been picky since the surgery, but today is refusing everything. I talked to the vet and we are stopping one of the antibiotics, skipping today's dose on the remaining antibiotic, and starting again tomorrow. I syringed some water into her cheek and I'm boiling some more ground beef now.

I need to go buy some yogurt for her diarrhea. If she won't eat that then I'll get some Forti-flora.

~Lindsay~

Hoping Sophie starts to eat and drink soon! Also glad the Amicar worked as well and that soon all that brusing will be gone.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest LindsaySF

I apologize for being away! Crazy busy.

Sophie is doing great! :) Her bruising did finally clear up around May 7 or 8. Her legs and feet were still swollen with fluid until around that time too, but then that dissipated also. She got her sutures out on Wednesday May 9, and the incision looks good. She still limps a bit on that leg, but that might take some time. She has started trotting in the yard again, not quite running, but faster than walking. :)

Our plan to pause the antibiotics worked and she started eating again. (She was getting Pepcid). She finished the antibiotics yesterday. She still has diarrhea, despite yogurt, so I picked up some Forti-flora and that seems to have helped.

Thank you all again for all of the advice and well wishes! You got me through a very stressful time. I was so worried about her. We seem to be on the road to recovery now. :thumbs-up

~Lindsay~

Edited by LindsaySF

Good news! I'm so happy for you that she's bouncing back nicely now!

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

This is such a good report to see this morning. Linds, maybe some Tylan would help clear up her diarrhea. Good girl Sophie!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.