Yam Chews

Yeah, I know they're really simple to make with a dehydrator, but I'm wondering if any dog-treat chefs have expanded their menu to include yam chews for those of us who are kitchen-challenged.

Also, I'm hoping to buy in bulk to keep up with the 6-pack.

sam's yams

thanx!

Edited by greyhndz

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

My BJ's had the french fry size by another maker, which I grabbed. Upon further inspection, they were made in China, so I put them back. Are these US made? If so, I'll find a friend who has a Sam's membership and offer to take her on her next shopping trip!

Sam's Yam's aren't carried by many distributors - I've been asking. I was surprised -- my natural pet food store only carries products made in China. :unsure The owner said that if his distributor doesn't carry a product, he can't get it. I did find a made-in-the-USA, 100% dehydrated yams at Agway today, and I grabbed the few packages they had.

I caved. I bought a dehydrator. A big one (5 trays). When I told the owner of the kitchen supply store what I planned on doing, she asked if I had a mandolin. I kind of :blink: for a second and told her I have a guitar but never played a mandolin. Then she showed me what a mandolin is, and I bought one. It's incredible at slicing and dicing, but despite using all the safeguards, my hand was sliced and diced as well. :blush But for the cost of the dehydrator, yams and mandolin, it will be way cheaper than buying them commercially.

Now, how long do the yams have to dehydrate before they're chewy?

Guest BrianRke

Fresh Pets brand makes Yam Chews made in the USA. They can be found at most PetSmarts and large grocery chains. They will be in a refrigerator.Fresh Pets

My dogs love them but I dont give them to Diamond because they get stuck in her teeth and she paws at her mouth afterward.

My guys like the SamsYams and it was the just about the only treat my IBD boy Smokey could eat. We sell them at mountain hounds for our group. I tried to make them once but my dehydrator is a basic one and I hate to cut the potatoes really thin to get them to dry well. The SamsYams ones are really thick like a raw hide and they are all USA, grown and manufactured.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

Jordan, can you report back on how your sweet potatoes turn out? How long they took and if they were like the Sam's Yams or softer or thiner?

Lila loves Sam's Yams, but they are expensive. If I could get the same type of product with a dehydrator I would make them myself, but the other homemade sweet potatoes I have seen are just not the same.

Thanks!

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Beth does well on Sam's Yams too! I order them online, via Amazon I think. They ARE expensive but fortunately she's my only dog, and only gets half a regular-sized one at a time. I've contemplated other brands but I did gather they're not quite the same.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest BlueCrab

I'm curious, too. I just bought a dehydrator and Sams' Yams are HUGE in our house - but they are expensive! If anyone figures out a good way to do them home-made, I'm all ears!

Snook Dog makes dehydrated organic sweet potatoes in the US. Under their specials page, they have discounted broken pieces.

http://www.shop.snookdog.com/Snooks-Specials_c9.htm

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Jordan, can you report back on how your sweet potatoes turn out? How long they took and if they were like the Sam's Yams or softer or thiner?

Lila loves Sam's Yams, but they are expensive. If I could get the same type of product with a dehydrator I would make them myself, but the other homemade sweet potatoes I have seen are just not the same.

Thanks!

Drumroll.... here are the little buggers

IMG_0120.jpg

I was a little bummed at the results, but it seems as if it's trial and error to get them the way you want. I thought I'd cut some large slices but they really shriveled up. Some were more crunchy, others softer, and because they were thinner than I'd hoped for, they weren't the thick, chewy consistency I wanted. I think I let them stay in the dehydrator too long -- 8 hrs, and I was supposed to shuffle the trays about 4 hrs in. I think I'll try cutting them julienne-style -- maybe they'll be more jerky-like. But they came out far smaller and thinner than Sam's. I'd also have to use larger yams if I want bigger chunks.

The doggie response was luke-warm. :blush I'll buy more yams later in the week and try it again.

Edited by greyhndz

Guest 302Crew

Hugo loves Crumps. They're made locally here in Bolton (Ontario), but they do have US vendors.

The website is: www.crumps.ca

Thanks for reporting back. They look pretty good. I was reading on Sam's Yams website and they use some secret patented process to get their potatoes they way they are.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

I've tried making my own several times (4-5 times) using a dehydrator-not very good luck. :( Never came out looking as good as Sams Yams. I even tried using huge sweet potatos as they do....just not the same. I gave up... :(

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Someone told me they parboil their yams to get them semi-soft first and then dry them. Not sure what difference it would make but might make them chewier. Ruby doesn't like the dried yams so I don't think I will be giving them a try with my new dehydrator. I was wondering what else I could dry for treats for her other than meat ? Getting ready to dry some plain chicken breast for her.

Karen

Someone told me they parboil their yams to get them semi-soft first and then dry them. Not sure what difference it would make but might make them chewier. Ruby doesn't like the dried yams so I don't think I will be giving them a try with my new dehydrator. I was wondering what else I could dry for treats for her other than meat ? Getting ready to dry some plain chicken breast for her.

The instructions on my dehydrator also say to steam (or microwave with a little water) for a couple of minutes - not enough time to cook but it's supposed to help with the dehydration process, and also supposed to help the yams keep their color.

Fritofeet, I'm about to PM you about those Sam's Yams! (See? this is why I don't cook)