Bald Thigh Syndrome...

Guest Psycmeistr

Guest Psycmeistr

I read up in a greyhound book about "bald thigh syndrome,' when the grey's outer thighs and underbelly are bald. This was thought to be a product of stress of race training, but has also been posited to be genetic in nature; at any rate, it was spoken of as being a permanent condition.

When I adopted Chesney in November, his thighs were bald, as was his belly. I am pleased to report that he now has all his hair. I give him Diamond 30% protein kibble, along with a teaspoon of olive oil with every feeding. In addition, I give him a raw egg mixed with his kibble every few days or so. His coat is not lustrous and shiny, and all the bald spots are history.

Don't know if it's the diet, the relieved stress, or what (Chesney was quite the spook when I got him)... but thought I'd report a success story for a change :o)

Greyhound baldness has nothing to do with their training, stress, or crates. It's very much like people balding, luck of the draw. :)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest tinams8

I thought I experienced the same thing with Lucy, who was very bald when I got her and then grew a thick fluffy coat. I even took before and after pictures. Then summer came and she went back to bald. I never saw so much shedding. :lol

Greyhound baldness has nothing to do with their training, stress, or crates. It's very much like people balding, luck of the draw. :)

Yeah, the only thing I agreed with at all in the "I read in a Greyhound book..." was the genetic part.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Melatonin has cured it for life in all of mine who had it. My broodie is the only one who's had absolutely NONE.

Guest Psycmeistr

But if it was purely genetic, how could Chesney grow all his hair back? You'd think he'd still be bald.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Sometimes dogs that are very athletic are more prone to it, but I don't believe it's "bad stress" at all. However, my performance dogs do not get bald since taking melatonin, so that tells me it's some kind of chemical thing.

When we trying to resolve Kasey's allergies, a vet tech pointed out the baldness and we said its not really a concern to us. There was a drug she wanted us to try for his allergies and the benefit along with increased hair growth was to create a stronger skin for a better environmental barrier, so it was really a 2 for 1 deal. Wouldn't you believe it, the meds helped his fur grow back thicker on the rest of his body and didn't some fur start growing on the bald areas. I would never treat baldness on its own, but I was pleasantly surprised to see the result.

Great success story though OP, with simple treatment and great results, nice to know there is some hope out there should people be concerned with baldness. :)

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest zombrie

But if it was purely genetic, how could Chesney grow all his hair back? You'd think he'd still be bald.

My dogs go through waves. They will have a full butt of hair and within a few months they are bald again, then it grows back, etc (as someone said, it's seasonal). None of them are ever crated and they certainly don't have any stress :rolleyes:

Edited by zombrie