What Is A Senior Diet?

Guest Jollybug

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

They make food for senior dogs in many brands. I personally feed all my dogs the same food (not senior) and they range in age from nine months to almost 15 years.

Guest 2dogs4cats

Some brands make a senior diet which is typically lower in protein, which is easier on the kidneys. It's debatable whether a senior diet is needed for a healthy dog.

Often, senior dog foods are lower calorie to compensate for a senior dog's lower activity level and metabolism.

I'm of the general opinion that the age- or size- specific formulas (puppy, large breed, etc.) seem to have lower quality overall (less meat, more grain). This certainly could be to achieve the lower protein goal mentioned by the previous poster.

The "senior" formulations may well have glucosamine/chondroitin and possible in larger quantities than the "regular" formulas; but it won't be a therapeutic level, so you would need to supplement with glucosamine/chondroitin separately anyway if you think it would be beneficial to your dog.

For a senior dog, I personally would just feed a regular formulation, supplement with gluc/chond, and give a smaller amount of food if the senior was gaining weight. Green beans are a good add-in to increase bulk but not calories of the dog really wants more to eat. (But cook them yourself or use frozen instead of canned to avoid excess salt).

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Unnecessary :) as some one said, a healthy dog shouldn't need to be fed any differently as they age. Now, if they have health issues that are age related, they may need a special diet for that. The glucosamine in "senior" foods isn't enough to make any difference (per my vet).

Kudos for fostering an 11 year old. It's one of dog owners' worst nightmares what might happen to their older dog if they can't look after it any longer.

People have advised you rightly... the senior brands are largely a marketing product and the supplements in them are seldom actually therapeutic. Just don't continue to feed high protein 'working dog' food.

You can add your own Glucosamine/Chondrotin/Green Lipped Mussel. What I found with my last dog when she was very old was that a small tin of sardines (in water) and a real egg once a week helped with skin tone and general mobility.

I don't really like feeding jerky or pigs ears etc as you can never be sure they're safe.

Guest sirsmom

Some senior foods recently have higher protein and lower fat. The higher protein supposedly helps maintain muscle mass but I really don't understand the lower fat. I would just stay on his usual food unless its too high in protein. Probably 21% to 25% would be good.

I've never used senior food, and there isn't enough joint supplement in any commercial food to do any good. It won't hurt, but I think it's more of a marketing gimmick than anything else.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I have never fed my seniors (either dogs or cats) differently than my younger guys. If necessary I add supplements.

Currently my 12 year old girl is eating a high quality kibble with fish oil, same as my 3 year old boy. She is pickier in her old age so I add in stuff like spoonfuls of canned food to entice her to eat. No additional supplementation. I did give her a joint supplement, but since we switched to a grain-free kibble she has been moving easier and I was able to stop that. She's doing great and her coat is soft and shiny. She still does mad zoomies in the yard, too!

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest WhiteWave

I feed my seniors same as others, but I tend to give them more add ins as they don't like just dry kibble. Linus loved homemade mac and cheese w/ chicken breast the last few years of his life (lived to almost 15). It helped keep weight on him.

Often, senior dog foods are lower calorie to compensate for a senior dog's lower activity level and metabolism.

I'm of the general opinion that the age- or size- specific formulas (puppy, large breed, etc.) seem to have lower quality overall (less meat, more grain). This certainly could be to achieve the lower protein goal mentioned by the previous poster.

The "senior" formulations may well have glucosamine/chondroitin and possible in larger quantities than the "regular" formulas; but it won't be a therapeutic level, so you would need to supplement with glucosamine/chondroitin separately anyway if you think it would be beneficial to your dog.

For a senior dog, I personally would just feed a regular formulation, supplement with gluc/chond, and give a smaller amount of food if the senior was gaining weight. Green beans are a good add-in to increase bulk but not calories of the dog really wants more to eat. (But cook them yourself or use frozen instead of canned to avoid excess salt).

You also can by unsalted green beans.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb