Fish Oil?

Guest BlackandTan

I did for years, but in Jan I switched to Iceland Pure and boy oh boy, can I see and feel the difference. Their coats glisten and they have never been this soft. Before that I used Costco's human omega 3 fish oil pills, gave two a day.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Sonya_Thomas

What is Iceland Pure, and where do get it? I am looking for something to clear up Rosie's dry, flaky skin, and so far, the Costco fish oil is not cutting it.

Sonya in Nashville

I'm on my phone, so putting a hyperlink in is super hard, just google "Iceland Pure" + fish oil and you should find their site. I buy it on Amazon. I tried it after seeing and feeling my friend's two greyhounds, their fur changed so much, now my two are changing, too!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest greytkidsmom

We use the "triple strength" fish oil from sams club. one pill twice daily. It is almost as strong as the prescription brand - about 150mg less omega 3's. The oil they use is from Ocean Nutrition in Canada wich is a very reputable source.

i find that liquid lakse kronche fish oil works really well. i must have not been giving enough of the costco capsules to the dogs. 4 squrits of the oil on their food- they love the taste and it's no hands down their throat. i buy 88oz at a clip, it's good for 5 months/2 dogs.

Ours get one caplet with breakfast and another with dinner. Our girl eats them like candy, she loves them - our boy will spit them out, so we have to poke a hole in the end and squirt it in his food.

We give our girl two at dinner during the winter months because she has skin problems.

Guest TheDawnPatrol

I buy the less expensive salmon oil at Trader Joe's; $9 for 120 capsules. All the houndies get some.

Radar [75lbs] 3 capsules

Daf [58lbs] 2 capsules

Walter & Dottie dachshund [16/18 lbs - teacup greyhounds ;-)) ] each get 1 capsule.

The dosage should be about 1 per 20 lbs but I found it affected the poops too much and you -know- how we like to keep those things firm! The trick is to work them up slowly to the maximum dosage. As soon as they go loosy-goosie back down to the previous level.

It improves their coats immensely. All my kids except Walter, have silky soft coats and Walter's is starting to improve; he is a our newest resident and it takes 5-8 months to really see/feel the improvement.

Actually the coats are so soft, it's almost a zen feeling to stroke their heads and necks. And of course the houndies love that!

ttfn

Robin

I used to feed a really great oil called Arctic Vigor which had a variety of oils from northern "marine species" :huh , but it is really hard to find, so I switched to salmon oil in a squirt tube since my dogs won't eat the capsules. I try to give 4 or 5 squirts into their food each day, I honestly don't know if it makes a difference in their coats, but I know that all of our modern food is lacking in omega 3's and they have so many health benefits so hoping it will help prevent or aid any health problems down the road.

Mulligan gets the 365 brand from Whole Foods - one in the morning, one in the evening. Same pill we take. We keep ours in the freezer (I heard somewhere that it helps to keep you from getting that fish oil burp). She used to just eat them up like a snack, but now we have to tempt her with a little peanut butter.

Cricket

Cricket, mom to Mulligan (Kycera) and Xena (Kebo Tina Turner )

I just toss a salmon oil capsule right in with their kibbles.

Mmmmm!

We get them from Costco.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest starbuck

Yep! It's actually pretty cheap that way. There are usually buy-one get-one deals at either Meijer or Kroger, and I imagine it's similar for most other grocery stores. We just found that it tends to make Starbuck's stools a little loose. To counteract that, we add a spoonful or two of yogurt with live and active cultures, and that firms things right up (and makes the pup happy).

My senior also has flaky dry skin and I have been giving her fish oil twice a day and vit e for her SLO. Someone recommended Canine Shine through Omega Field. I ordered it and will give it a try. I let all of you know if it makes a difference.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg