Growling At Baby

Guest laurengrey

So the organizer at our rescue group just emailed me to let me know that they'll probably be coming to get Timmy this Saturday! Wow so soon! It is very sad to think of him going so soon! We have just started adjusting to the idea of losing him. The family that adopted Timmy's brother would love to take Timmy. This would be great. I'm really happy about this- I think Timmy would be so happy there. This sounds like the perfect solution. It is still very sad to think of losing him but I'm really happy he'd be going to a good home.

This sounds like a win-win situation for Timmy. I know this is hard, but I fully support your decision. You have clearly thought through everything and are doing what is best for Timmy. Please don't let anyone make you feel bad for your choice (some folks here can be pretty judgemental). However, as KennelMom said, this is not a greyhound/child thing - it's a dog/child thing. I'd avoid getting ANY dog until your children and your friends children are older.

:grouphug

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow - Timmy will have a wonderful home if he goes to be with his brother! (Kim will have her hands full!) And the best part is that we get the twin brothers at our Meet 'n Greets.

He's coming to Chicagoland?? Cool!

And by the bye...am I the only one who hears TIMMAY!!! every time I see the name "timmy"?

~Amanda

Guest laurengrey

Thanks Winnie, Phyllis and others for supporting our decision. I just want what's best for Timmy and our children. This is still incredibly hard though. Believe me we love Timmy. We've spent thousands of dollars on him between putting up a fence, and all the dog related expenses. We put up with several months duration of him peeing in the home when we first adopted him as he transitioned from the track to being in a home. He even had issues with diarrhea for several months until we figured out what food he couldn't digest. Believe me- it was not fun cleaning up diarrhea all over the kitchen and basement. We didn't dream of giving him away until we were concerned for our children. It may not be a greyhound/ child thing; it may be a dog/child thing and for that reason we won't get another dog until our last is at least 4yrs old. It'll be weird not having a dog... it will definitely take some getting used to.

Guest laurengrey

Also- as a side note. I am taking this so seriously because I work in the Emergency room. I have seen numerous dog bites and it breaks my heart when I see a child come in with dog bites on the face that lead to permanent physical and emotional scarring.

1330696021[/url]' post='5180799']

Over and over again people come here with small children with the same dilemma. More groups should make a child class mandatory before adopting a greyhound, I think these posts would be dramatically reduced. Partly the parents need to do research as well (and not have the knee jerk reaction), but I believe that half of the responsibility lies with the adoption group as well.

So sad to see this come up yet again...

Me too. sad.gif It really gets in my craw.

Not every dog is right for every home...the OP is doing what is best for the dog and the child...your comments are not helpful.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Thank you for giving Timmy the best chance possible at having a happy, normal life. I don't think any dog would be happy being separated from the people they love. I think everyone goes into adoption unaware of the life changes ahead of them. Sometimes things work out and sometimes they don't and dogs have to be rehomed. It's incredibly hard on all parties but done with the best interest of everyone at heart. What would be worse is to keep Timmy and have him bite your child. It sounds like Timmy already has a home lined up and with a litter mate. That's awesome! I know it's heart breaking for you to have had to make this decision but it was made with love, don't let anyone make you feel bad for that.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Also- as a side note. I am taking this so seriously because I work in the Emergency room. I have seen numerous dog bites and it breaks my heart when I see a child come in with dog bites on the face that lead to permanent physical and emotional scarring.

I also am a nurse and I am going to ask you to please stop making so many excuses. You have made your decision and until now I am fine with it. But to continue to assume all these bad things happen because of the dog is not fair. What you need to start thinking when you see a child with a bite to the face is, "where were the parents?" and "Why was the child allowed to disturb the dog?".

Your child was scaring the dog, your child was allowed to continue petting the dog even though you knew the dog was uncomfortable, you know that your dog is uncomfortable with the baby on the floor yet you won't separate them?

I have kids and dogs. I have never thought of it as separating them to protect the kids, it was more to protect the dogs. Kids are loud, obnoxious at times and unpredictable. The dogs needed time away and to be safe.

I have learned the hard way, one of my dogs bit a child that was in my care. Did we ditch the dog? NO. We did however learn from it and we became much more diligent in our teaching to the the kids and in our ways of protecting the dogs.

You've chosen to give up the dog. Move on and be ok with it. It isn't up to others to make you feel better about your decision as 90% of this board would not do what you have done.

I am actually of the opinion that you should give the dog up. GreysandMollie is right, not every dog is right for every home, however, I also believe that not every family is right for every dog. Hopefully Timmy will get his forever home.

Edited by kamsmom

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

I hate to see another hound returned because the adopter had kids, especially after something as minor (to me) as a warning growl. But having just read a blog post from a woman who had her (non-grey) put to sleep three hours after he nipped (did not break skin) her daughter, I think this decision really is best.

Since the OP seems unwilling to separate/supervise, the outcome could've been much, much worse for Timmy.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

You've chosen to give up the dog. Move on and be ok with it. It isn't up to others to make you feel better about your decision.

:nod :nod

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I was a 'bite in the face' victim myself as an adult. Physical scarring, yes (fairly minor and most people who meet me don't notice it right away), emotional scarring, no. It was my fault and I knew it. I took responsibility.

I was also bitten as a child (on the arm), and scratched and bitten by cats, and kicked by ponies. No emotional scarring. There doesn't have to be. The right teaching before the bite and the right response from adults immediately afterwards and the child can accept and cope surprisingly often.

Having said all that, I still stand by my support of your decision, without any blame. There is no way I'd have been able to give a dog the care he needed when my boys were under five. ;)

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest laurengrey

I was a 'bite in the face' victim myself as an adult. Physical scarring, yes (fairly minor and most people who meet me don't notice it right away), emotional scarring, no. It was my fault and I knew it. I took responsibility.

I was also bitten as a child (on the arm), and scratched and bitten by cats, and kicked by ponies. No emotional scarring. There doesn't have to be. The right teaching before the bite and the right response from adults immediately afterwards and the child can accept and cope surprisingly often.

Having said all that, I still stand by my support of your decision, without any blame. There is no way I'd have been able to give a dog the care he needed when my boys were under five. ;)

Thank you so much, I appreciate your support.

Guest crazy4greys

First, I am sorry you have to give up Timmy. Not every greyhound is child friendly and only you know how your dog is and he obviously can not be gated away from you. He also may feel that Timmy is taking his place and he is jealous. It is too bad that he needs to be re homed, but at least now the group knows that he can not go to a home with young kids. A lot of times groups do not know that before hand unless the foster home has kids and a lot of group won't allow that.

Don't be yourself up or listen to the negative remarks from people on here. You are doing what is best for Timmy and I am sure Timmy will be happy in his new home. I am not one for re homing a dog because of a new baby, but sometimes it is the only thing that can be done.

Second..as a new mom, I know how hard it is to have a newborn and a dog. I had 5 greyhounds when my son was born. It was difficult to find the time to give the dogs as much attention as they had before Christian was born. I even took a class called Babies and Dogs because I was worried about my grey Cooper, who is a spook dog. The dog trainer gave me pointers and ideas.

To my surprise, Cooper loves Christian. when I hold him in my lap Cooper is the first to come over and sniff him and Christian laughs and reaches out to touch Cooper's head. We tell him gentle and help him to pet nicely. They are separated and do not interact with each other unless me or my husband have Christian.

Laurengrey,did you adopt from GO?

No, she didn't adopt from GO. I personally know Timmy, Lauren and the whole situation.

We adopted our two greyhounds from GO and are part of the "GO family" so to speak, having volunteeredd with GO and adopted our two hounds from GO. I know GO now offers a family workshop.

Frankly, knowing Timmy as I do, I think maybe just as hounds are screened for being cat friendly or small dog friendly, some dogs are just not little kid/toddler friendly. Some hounds just prefer adults or older children...nothing wrong with that, but maybe we need to be more aware when placing hounds in families who are planning on having small children.

Guest verthib
1330705775[/url]' post='5180959']
1330696268[/url]' post='5180802']

Over and over again people come here with small children with the same dilemma. More groups should make a child class mandatory before adopting a greyhound, I think these posts would be dramatically reduced. Partly the parents need to do research as well (and not have the knee jerk reaction), but I believe that half of the responsibility lies with the adoption group as well.

Not every dog is right for every home...the OP is doing what is best for the dog and the child...your comments are not helpful.

Maybe not, but they are our honest comments, and asking a question on a board opens the OP up to receiving various answers and opinions. We've all spent thousands on our dogs.....doesn't mean we'd all give them up just because we had children. As a previous poster said, she took the necessary precautions and steps while her kids were small to make it work. I only wish more folks did that.

I completely agree. These comments are mean and judgmental. I live with a dog that bit people in three homes, including mine. He's perfect here now, but he is definitely not meant to be in a home with children.

Hugs to you Lauren for making the difficult decision to rehome a dog you clearly love so much. :grouphug

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest verthib

I completely agree. These comments are mean and judgmental. I live with a dog that bit people in three homes, including mine. He's perfect here now, but he is definitely not meant to be in a home with children.

Hugs to you Lauren for making the difficult decision to rehome a dog you clearly love so much. :grouphug

So I wonder if others think kamsmom's comments were mean and judgmental? Her post was very direct and harsh, but it had to be said. I'm sure you don't think hers was mean though, there certainly is a pattern of certain folks' comments being berated, and others can say as they wish.

For heavens sake...give it up.

Not all dogs are good with children.

The OP has made a very hard, but wise, decision.

The dog is going to a good loving home.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Nothing *has* to be said.

Do I *like* it when people give up a dog because household circumstances change? Almost never. But sometimes that is the best option for the household and/or the dog.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest BrianRke

I agree. Not helpful

Guest BrianRke

So I wonder if others think kamsmom's comments were mean and judgmental? Her post was very direct and harsh, but it had to be said. I'm sure you don't think hers was mean though, there certainly is a pattern of certain folks' comments being berated, and others can say as they wish.

Yes but you ALWAYS present your comments and opinions as FACTS, which they are usually NOT. Your comments on this thread have done nothing to help the OP. The only thing you have done is to try to make her feel guilty. The OP wants what is best for her child and her pet. Im sorry you cant understand that.

Edited by BrianRke

Guest verthib

Yes but you ALWAYS present your comments and opinions as FACTS, which they are usually NOT. Your comments on this thread have done nothing to help the OP. The only thing you have done is to try to make her feel guilty. The OP wants what is best for her child and her pet. Im sorry you cant understand that.

NO I didn't. I gave my OPIONION. as do others. The cliques on this board are extremely annoying and childish. Some people can be harsh and to the point, others can barely say a word and get attacked. THAT is what's not helpful. Show me the comment I made in this thread that was not helpful and stated something as fact. Show me. You won't find it. I made two comments, neither of which were harsh, or presented as facts.

I'll tell you the difference Verithb... the thread isn't about you. The OP asked opinions, opinions were given. You continually want to start an argument or question why others state things. I am not up to arguing or defending my opinion. I stated it and kindly gave advice to the OP to "be ok with her decision and move on".

Now, I'll do the same for you too.... Be ok with your opinions and move on.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.