How To Stop My Grey From Trying To Kill Me

Guest DragonflyDM

Guest DragonflyDM

My grey, Boomer, turns in front of me while we go for a walk and the whines when I fall over him. When I go upstairs, he rushes up just in front of me and turns so I trip and pretends to be surprised when I do. I think that he secretly thinks he is on my insurance policy--- !!

Ah, is he doing the patented Front Leg Pivot? As I get up and dust myself off, I can't help but marvel at the ingeniousness of the move: pivot on far front leg, swingin the back end around in front of moms near leg causing her to dive head first over my back. :lol I know it well.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Ryder does that on our walks if we take it up to a brisk run usually because he's excited. I haven't yet fallen over him (knock on wood) but have been very close. He seems to enjoy the thrill of stopping sideways right in front of our legs. Lol the fact that Boomer whines when you fall over him is actually the funny part. Lol. Maybe he just wants more close up contact and lovin'? Ha!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

There isn't much I demand of my Greyhound, unlike other dogs we've had, because I figure he had a career already, he was pretty good at it, and he's retired--the one thing I INSIST on is walking on a leash nicely (well, that and not going to the bathroom inside!). To MY specifications. Which include never crossing in front of me. I don't make him walk at heal, but he darn well stays on one side of me.

As someone suggested above, a knee/body bump is the way to start working on that.

You really do need to start with heeling--and as they learn the "rules" you can let them walk in front of you, but still insist they not cross.

I also use the leash much like I used to use the reins when I had horses--gently draping across his side with pressure exerted toward him so as to remind him he needs to stay on his side of the sidewalk.

George was an absolute pig on the leash when I got him. The first week was actually painful trying to get him to act like he'd been on a leash before!

I must say, he's pretty darn good now! And if George can learn it, I am 100% confident that ANY dog can--'cause handsome as he is, he is not, uhm, well, let's just say that doing what I want is not even on his bucket list!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Good suggestions from the others. Zeke, at 85 lbs, was awful to walk in the beginning. He would zig to the left, zig to the right and then suddenly stop directly in front of my feet. I was always in danger of falling forward over him. Tightening the leash to keep him on my left helped as well as the good old knee bump when he started to drift in my path. After a few months he settled into a forward walking pattern ahead or on my left side (with the occasional stops for pee-mail).

Maybe as Boomer settles in he won't feel the need to rush ahead of you up the stairs. A gentle knee bump might discourage him from stopping at the top.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest BrianRke

It took me a long time to break Frank of this habit. If I didnt know better, I'd swear he did it on purpose. He would jump right in front of me and start jumping up and down. I would just keep walking and plow right through him, being careful not to step on his feet. Eventually he got it.(well, for the most part)

Guest DragonflyDM

For the most part he heels very well and walks nicely on the leash...then..BOOM! He does the pivot. I am not so worried that he won't eventually learn, but that I will actually hurt him. But this is especially bothersome and dangerous on the stairs.

And unlike other dogs, this guy is a ninja... he just slips into groups of people and suprises them. He goes up and down stairs and I never know until I am "Jack and Jilling" it all the way down the hill.

But ....sniffles... I love the big lug.

One thing he does too on the leash is skip...or do a little hop every once in awhile.. but when I pay attention to it, he just pretends like it never happened.

George was an absolute pig on the leash when I got him. The first week was actually painful trying to get him to act like he'd been on a leash before!

Oh, Ajax too! It took me several weeks to figure out he was acting like a total spazz because he was anxious and afraid when I took him walking in this strange new place. Before I realized that (and shortened both the leash and the walking distance) he would zigzag and spin and... well, be a total spazz. He's MUCH better now but still occasionally dives suddenly across my path or does the patented FLP. I taught Capri not to dive in front of my by kneeing her just as you guys describe, and that works. But now with two dogs, Capri seems to prefer to walk between Ajax and me, which means when he dives in front of me SHE gets kneed in the head! :blink::rolleyes: So I don't do that. I do have to admit I've just been undisciplined and lazy about it, though. I KNOW I should put one dog on either side and then discipline just him, but I haven't yet.

And on the stairs... well. My problem isn't that they're underfoot. We've settled nicely into a pattern where slow people (that would be me) stay to the right and fast people (spazdogs) run up/down the stairs to the left. My problem is that when they're eager for the next item on the daily agenda, they'll push their heads into the backs of my thighs. When performed at the top of the stairs, I wonder exactly what their motives are. "Hey, let's make mom fall down the stairs, I bet it would be hilarious!" :lol (I don't fall. That's what the handrails were invented for: counter-balance for homicidally-amused dogs.)

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

Guest Liz_in_PA

And on the stairs... well. My problem isn't that they're underfoot. We've settled nicely into a pattern where slow people (that would be me) stay to the right and fast people (spazdogs) run up/down the stairs to the left. My problem is that when they're eager for the next item on the daily agenda, they'll push their heads into the backs of my thighs. When performed at the top of the stairs, I wonder exactly what their motives are. "Hey, let's make mom fall down the stairs, I bet it would be hilarious!" :lol (I don't fall. That's what the handrails were invented for: counter-balance for homicidally-amused dogs.)

You must be taller than I am. Those heads hit me right in the badonkadonk. I warn any guests to use the railings. He doesn't do it much any more but I wouldn't want someone to go flying because he decided to do it one more time.

Annie Bella occasionally does this but at a slow pace so unless I'm looking at the clouds, I see it coming. If she has a walk where she decides she's the boss (and that is not acceptable to me), I hold the leash right where it connects to the collar, and it gives her only a couple of inches of movement with her head and she can't cross over either.

I've never fallen over her but she has pulled me over! That's a shock and when it happened, it came out the blue. Now I'm aware of what sets her off to want to run (usually snow!!.. LOL) and keep her close.

Edited by Feisty49

Yeah, I majorly have this problem. Beth is very sniffy and when she decides she wants to sniff something on the opposite side of the sidewalk ... well. Knee bump is a good concept, I may try that, but she turns in front of me very quickly usually, before I can react. I have rarely or never actually fallen, though I have stumbled. Or occasionally hit her back foot with mine, and that's the foot with the toe amputation so I really want to avoid that.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Wasserbuffel

A stick is useful to help train a crosser to stay on their side. When I was working with Jayne on leash manners I would keep her on my left while holding the leash in my right hand. I carried a longish, thin stick (3-4 feet) in my left and kept it angled toward the sidewalk. When she would try to cross in front she would bump into the stick. It didn't hurt her, much like the knee bump (which I used too) it just worked as a reminder to stay on her side.

My advice is to hang on to the handrail & never get a cat. They definitely are out to kill. rolleyes.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Ah, is he doing the patented Front Leg Pivot? As I get up and dust myself off, I can't help but marvel at the ingeniousness of the move: pivot on far front leg, swingin the back end around in front of moms near leg causing her to dive head first over my back. :lol I know it well.

:lol:lol i think we have all been there. mine generally learn not to do it when i crash on top of them. it's worse when a small dog does it and you really fall over.

I hate it most of all when I automatically grab for the nearest thing to brace myself and stop from falling - and that nearest thing happens to be Capri's back. My poor baby. The LAST thing I want to do is hurt her by falling on her.

I have fallen over them before. Quite embarrassing. I run two of them and to suddenly have one cut in front of you in the dark . . . . However, that seemed to help. I also made a concerted effort to keep them farther from me. I haven't had this problem now for almost a year. I am sure I just jinxed myself though!

As for stairs, they gravitated to passing on the left. Since I have several, they tend to barrel down the stairs in a group. The noise warns me, so I can push myself against the wall! I just wish I could harness their daily excitement just to be alive! (I wouldn't mind being able to nap the way they do, either, but that's for another thread!)

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow