Aggressive When Running With Others

My big boy Hester (close to 90 lbs and almost 31" at the shoulder) has become very competitive when running with other Greyhounds. Despite being the most gentle soul in all other situations, he is showing speed, anticipation, and aggression that at times prevents the other dogs from running. He seems to be coursing them, cutting them off whenever they try to change direction and pinning them in a corner of any enclosed area. His racing pedigree is apparent and he suddenly seems so fast that the other dogs cannot get away and get going.

When he first came to us he was no match for the agility of the other Greys he ran with. He is so large and was so clumsy. And with a dropped gracilis he could not really turn to the right without slipping. He used to chase happily and would scamper after the other dogs as long as they chose to run. But things have changed. We have had him out with 5 different Greyhounds and he literally dominates them and shuts them down. He never leads, but rather is always the pursuer, closes any gap instantly, and lets the dog he is chasing know he is right there. He never attempts to use his teeth (muzzles always worn), just lots of snarling and “grumbling”. Most of the time the other dogs are frightened, submit, and stop running. I am surprised to see this behaviour and physical ability emerge from such a broken down racer (6 years old with almost 3 years at the track).

I am happy he is healthy but I feel bad for the other dogs as none are getting a proper run when he is around. (He does get walked for at least two hours a day so he'll be fine.)

Is this just the wrong combination of dogs? Is there anything that can be done so he can get a decent run? Unfortunately he won't run on his own.

Some photos 'cause I know you all want to see the villain.

003ybt.jpg

010oup.jpg

Edited by KickReturn

We have some "unruly" dogs in our playgroup. And with so many greyhounds in our group, we're able to split the runs in Seniors/Gentle Souls, Unrulies and then just the "regular" greys. Perhaps yours would do best with more "unruly" hounds to run with, perhaps males of a similar size and attitude.

PS Love the pictures!

ETA: If you can't split your group and you can't run with them... I would suggest finding yourself somewhere enclosed to run, making yourself a lure pole, get a squawker, dig up a spouse or a friend and take yourselves to the location. Hold him in one corner and send your assistant to the other side/corner, waving the lure pole and squawking the squawker. Release the hound! Assuming he will respond and they almost all do... he can get lots of exercise this way (don't overdo it, just a few runs is probably enough, certainly to start with). Summer adores it when we do this and it gives her a change from the regular playgroup activities. Also, you can try a Chuck-It with one of their whistling balls -- the whistling adds another dimension vs the regular old tennis ball being chucked.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest IrskasMom

He is Beautiful ..... but not alone. My Friends Grey has such a "faul Language ".He runs and so close to the other , that they are just scared to even move. My Morty cowers and will not run with him :rolleyes:

My Kasey is a trouble maker at runs but he really enjoys himself and doesn't prevent others from running. He often initiates runs and when in the mood, will chase. He however bullies Ryder around to the point where Ryder doesn't run with him, so I kinda know where you are coming from. We have often had to grab Kasey if we see the pack ready to go for a bolt down the side of the fence. Give them a break from him, and give a break to Kasey....sometimes he's so wound up we don't want him to hurt himself. We stand and let him watch the action holding him by the collar calmly...but certainly he has a "timeout" a couple times. It's really the only thing you can do. Monitor and pull him back as necessary. Sounds like Hester is a little bit of a bully too....don't worry, there is one in almost every bunch. ;)

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest verthib

Angus is exactly like that. We worked with a trainer and started a doggie play group to help with manners. While he's improved, I think he's always going to be a rough boy. He's super competitive and gets stimulated by any dogs running or darting around and he almost turns into another dog. He seeks them out and attempts to stop them. He has a look that mimics an animal chasing its prey. All other times he's the sweetest most perfect boy. You can touch him, hug him, love on him, he loves kids, he lives with cats, he doesn't have bed or sleep aggression. We now keep a muzzle on at ALL times when outside. He already bit Gracie during running 'play' and it's safer for all. When he has his muzzle he does play with other dogs but he can't do serious damage. I think there are just some greys that are like that. They all have different personalities and backgrounds/genetics.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Wow, "broken down racer". What a choice of words to describe a professional athlete that is now retired.

He sounds like he is getting overly excited when he runs. It may relent after he realizes that the other hounds wont play, or if one of the other hounds "corrects" his behavior. Just be sure that whenever he runs, everyone has a muzzle. Also, don't take this guy to a dog park with other breeds of dogs, not a good idea.

Chad

Wow, "broken down racer". What a choice of words to describe a professional athlete that is now retired.

He sounds like he is getting overly excited when he runs. It may relent after he realizes that the other hounds wont play, or if one of the other hounds "corrects" his behavior. Just be sure that whenever he runs, everyone has a muzzle. Also, don't take this guy to a dog park with other breeds of dogs, not a good idea.

Chad

Exactly what I was thinking--George has a dropped muscle too, also raced for three years, but at nine years old is still in better shape than your average pet dog! And I bet he'd hit the track again in a heartbeat, if he had a chance!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Tracker would not run by himself when let off the leash in an enclosed area. He would just stand there. Until I discovered that he will go nuts when I throw a tiny bully stick for him. He'll bolt after it, pick it up and embark on 3-4 furious rounds of big zoomies with the stick in his mouth. By now he's so used to the raising my arm and throwing motion as a trigger that he'll even start bolting when I just pretend I'm throwing something (only do that when I forgot to bring a bully stick, which is rare). It took a while, but now it's a routine, and he loves it--thank goodness, because there are no other greyhounds to play with where we live!

I have several here that do that. It's just the way they play. They all wear muzzles so no one gets hurt. The ones who don't want to run will wander off somewhere else, some of my others give as good as they get. It's the competitive nature of the greyhound I think. You can remove him from play every time he does it but eventually I think he'd quit playing. One of these days he'll come across someone who will give it back to him and he'll calm down.

Don't kid yourself. I don't think one of my dogs would refuse a chance to race again, well maybe Bebe. :lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Good advice above for your "Fun Police" dog. His size is probably an issue for the others as well, not just his bullying. A chest bump or running check from a 90 lb boy is a lot different than the same from a 65 lb one. Other greys his size are rare, so you might just need to monitor him closely and give him - and the rest of the group - a time out every once in a while.

If he can run like that, I don't think "broken down racer" is an accurate description. Three years is a good long time to race, so he must have been at least marginally successful. He's also quite the looker!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Frankly I think unless you can find one or a couple of other dogs that can handle him and they all get a good run then I would not take him. In fact in our group you would be asked to not attend. It really defeats the purpose of a playgroup/ run group to have all the other dogs shut down cause of one. And certainly that is not a slam at your boy. It's just his nature. I often have to remove Jonah cause he can be an absolute PITA with some dogs.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Thanks for the insights everyone.

My boy Hester will not chase anything thrown. He has never put anything in his mouth other than food from his bowl and his stuffy toys. He really wants the other dogs to run so he can chase. They just get frightened and stop. Immediately after they stop Hester is his usual loverboy self toward them. On the occasions when other dogs have kept running and been able to stretch him a bit, he chases politely. Perhaps because he has to dig in and focus on running to keep up.

The whole thing is odd as he has zero prey drive. In the video of his races I have seen, he does not seem to chase the lure, just the other dogs. His victories were just coincidence of him being in front a bit at the line. He would just cruise along and do what was needed to stay with the leaders. He seemed almost lazy. 134 races, 47 times in the money.

I like the lure pole idea.

Guest zombrie

I don't think prey drive has anything to do with racing... My littermates Doolin and Minerva are fine with others, even obnoxious small fluffy dogs. But pull out anything fake or on a pole of some sort, they go crazy (and Minerva was a successful racer, 224 races). It sounds like what others have said, he is the "fun police" (if he was doing that while racing, he wouldn't have been allowed to race). I have two of those, my girl Mira (she's better now that she's older but she has her feisty days) and my GSD Kodie. I just take them out and play with them alone. It's not worth constantly pulling them off of the other dogs and the other dogs can enjoy themselves better.

The lure pole is an excellent idea. It makes my pups crazy with excitement and gets them nice and tired!

BTW, he is so handsome! Doolin is a big cow dog too, I have a soft spot for them now!

• 2 weeks later...

He's the "fun police". :rolleyes: My Diana is one. She could never keep up with my Sobe, would try to run with him for a while, the stop and crouch, catlike, at a corner, and wait for him to fly by and jump out snapping. Then return to her crouching position to interrupt the next lap.

He never minded, but when we had a foster at the house that really liked to RUN with Sobe - always tracklike ovals- we'd keep miss "fun police" in while the others were in full-out stretch run.

Some dogs are just not good group runners. Fine otherwise, but at the full run - not so much. Our Diana flunked out of Maiden races and never went pro because she had too much interest in the other dogs, and not enough interest in the lure.

It's not a bad thing, it's just the way some dogs are. :blush

ETA: Diana has very high prey drive. VERY HIGH. I really don't think that's a factor in this issue.

Edited by sobesmom

One of my girls is bossy with the others when they run. There are no other greys in my area for them to run with but I do have places I can take them to run. So . . . when we go to the ball field I let the other two go first and let them get some running in. When they are at the far end of the field I'll let Angel go and she'll run to them and usually all three will take off. By the time she gets there she has run some of the edge off and usually will play nice the rest of the time. Of course they are all muzzled.

edited to add: the ball field is huge. One of the biggest I've seen around and fully fenced.

Edited by june