Interceptor

So I didn't know about the plant being shut down until tonight and I use Interceptor on my 2. So far all online places are out of stock :angryfire :angryfire I still have a few months worth, but my question is...on the package, certain pills are for certain months i.e. one pill will work for feb/nov (example, unsure of exact month combo) and another for march/december. If I can't get the pills from my vet, can I use a pill from a different month? Give one march pill next month to one pup and an april pill to the other pup? Or is the amount of medicine in them different?

I really don't want to switch, but if I have to I would like a product that also deals with whipworms as not all of the heartworm preventative does...and my 2 were exposed to a pup who had them, so I want to make sure they stay on a med that has that in there.

Thanks!

Edited by kolarik1

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

The months you see listed in the Interceptor wrapping are merely suggestions - kind of a reminder system, to make it easy to look at the remaining tablets and know whether or not you gave the pill for that month. There is no difference in the amount or type of medication in each tablet.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

The months you see listed in the Interceptor wrapping are merely suggestions - kind of a reminder system, to make it easy to look at the remaining tablets and know whether or not you gave the pill for that month. There is no difference in the amount or type of medication in each tablet.

Thanks!

SO what are people giving instead?

Not a clue...one site had 'alternatives'...but all it did was list the medications that couldn't be purchased along with what they protect against, then list the other heartworm meds...

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

SO what are people giving instead?

Our clinic is switching to Heartgard Plus - it's what we used before Interceptor, then Sentinel came out.

Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

My vet has a new-ish product (I think) called Tryfexsis (sp?) combo pill for worms, fleas, and heartworm. It says it's edible, but that seems to be a matter of opinion in our house. It's kinda spendy - around $25 per dose depending on weight.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

If you want the same active ingredient that's in Interceptor/Sentinel, the only other product available is Trifexis, which combines the same active ingredient in Interceptor with the flea pill Comfortis. If you already use Interceptor and Comfortis, it would save you money to switch to Trifexis anyway. As far as I know, these are the only HW products that also cover whipworms. Other than the whipworm protection, Heartgard Plus is just as good.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Mom2Shiloh

i know a lot of people use the HG+ with success, but when I was first "learning greyhounds" I was told that with sighthounds and collies, interceptor as safer. So I'm sticking to that.

George takes Heartgard Plus. My vet talked me into trying something else--it was a huge "chewable" pill, but he would not eat it, and it was pretty big for shoving down the old bikkie hole! So I asked her to let me go back to Heartgard, and she did.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest mirinaaronsmom

I had my pups on Heartguard until Mojo had trouble with hookworms. My vet changed us to Interceptor because she said that would help where Heartguard couldn't (killing off the adults if I remember correctly).

Edited by mirinaaronsmom

My dogs are all on Interceptor and two of them still got hookworms because they eat dirt in the yard and the Vet said the hookworms are in the dirt and there is nothing you can do about it.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

We use Trifexis - some dogs may like to chew it but for Batman we have to cut it up and cover it with tasty stuff like peanut butter or pumpkin or cheese.

Maybe dogs that already eat beef-flavored stuff will like it better?

8409816506_4027b1afc8.jpg

Batman (racing name CTW Battle Plan) adopted May 2011, passed away July 2017

Buffy (racing name CTW Bathsheba) adopted Oct 2012, passed away March 2022

Guest verthib

So I didn't know about the plant being shut down until tonight and I use Interceptor on my 2. So far all online places are out of stock :angryfire :angryfire I still have a few months worth, but my question is...on the package, certain pills are for certain months i.e. one pill will work for feb/nov (example, unsure of exact month combo) and another for march/december. If I can't get the pills from my vet, can I use a pill from a different month? Give one march pill next month to one pup and an april pill to the other pup? Or is the amount of medicine in them different?

I really don't want to switch, but if I have to I would like a product that also deals with whipworms as not all of the heartworm preventative does...and my 2 were exposed to a pup who had them, so I want to make sure they stay on a med that has that in there.

Thanks!

I use interceptor and they aren't marked by months, and if so, I've never seen it. It's the same dose in every pill so I just give one on the 1st day of each month. I didn't know they were shutting down. I love Interceptor because it covers worms too. UGH! I'm going to call my vet to see if they have more I can buy now. Thanks for the heads up!

Oh, ugh! This is the first I'd heard about this. Looked it up and discovered that the same plant makes Deramaxx, which Gabe has been doing great on for the last month. SO not pleased about this news. :angry:

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Novartis is now being allowed to sell stock from another warehouse, but they admit that with all the backorders and limited supply, their products will be hard to come by for the foreseeable future. That is why the clinic I work for is switching to Heartgard Plus as soon as our stock of Sentinel runs out (within the next week or two, by my estimation). Luckily, Deramaxx must've been on some sort of sale a few months ago and the owners stocked up; we have a really decent amount of overstock.

I've always used Heartguard Plus. When Molly brought home hookworms from the kennel, we treated her & Fletcher with something else (Panacur? I don't recall) to clear up the worms, but Heartguard + has kept us from having any more outbreaks. I am pretty sure they (the worms) are in our dirt now :(

Guest TheDawnPatrol

I didn't have too much trouble finding Interceptor, it is just the the prime sites such as PetMeds are sold out. I checked thru Amazon and found several dealers.

I have to admit I panicked there for a minute. I called my vet and they were out and only had a few boxes of Sentinel left. My big guy is drop dead allergic to commercial flea meds [sentinel] so I had to pass on that. Our vet tech said that Norvartis rep said they would start producing again by the end of January but the vet has heard nothing yet.

Anyway, I ordered enough for 12 months for all the crew. So if someone need some tabs urgently, let me know and I would be glad to share.

ttfn & Peace

Guest verthib

I called my vet and they have a ton. Switching to something that includes flea control sounds tempting but then I still have to give something for ticks. For now I'll stick with a worm pill and topical flea/tick treatment.

Guest TheDawnPatrol

I've always used Heartguard Plus. When Molly brought home hookworms from the kennel .......

If and when the Interceptor supply starts rolling again you might consider putting your dogs on that ... BUT ... on a 3 week instead of a monthly schedule [per our vet]. Radar, my old guy is a magnet for hooks and doing any worm med on a monthly doesn't help much because the hooks have a 3 week reproductive cycle. So, all of my crew is on 3 weekly Interceptor, Panacur once/year for good juju and flea/tick only when those critters are spotted where they are not supposed to be.

The only other issue I have is Daphne seems to pick up giardia every year. The Panacur is mostly for her. I'm thinking it's because she is a grazer. when we go for play group at the dog park or even walks she chows down on the green stuff. I have added a cat grass pot nest to the water dish in hopes that she will substitute the indoor green for the outdoor. No luck yet. Guess I just do not have the right seed combination.

ttfn & Peace